HELP....Sauna's & Steam Rooms

Options
ok,my trainer informed me to spend time in the sauna cause it helps burn off fat and tighten skin.. & steam room cause it gives nice look to ur skin and helps with the after work out pains,but my question is , if you spend 15-20 minutes in the sauna,how much fat or calories do u burn??? and wouldn't you also burn off calories in the steam room????

Replies

• charley078
    charley078 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ok,my trainer informed me to spend time in the sauna cause it helps burn off fat and tighten skin.. & steam room cause it gives nice look to ur skin and helps with the after work out pains,but my question is , if you spend 15-20 minutes in the sauna,how much fat or calories do u burn??? and wouldn't you also burn off calories in the steam room????
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    you can burn up to 600 calories in a 30 minute session
  • charley078
    charley078 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks skinny, now is that each seperately or a combo of both in 30 minutes?
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Another trick is to monitor your sweat rate. Before you go into the sauna weigh yourself. Make sure you empty your bowels. Try not to drink much water. After you're done dry yourself off, then weigh yourself again. It's kind of motivating to see the results even though you will gain some of it back because you need to drink water and eat at some point. This is what I did to see how much water I needed to drink during my workouts.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    The truth is inconvenient right?
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So, on another forum, I ran into this the other day. You might not be burning calories in the sauna, but it does seem to have an effect on performance. http://fourhourworkweek.com/2014/04/10/saunas-hyperthermic-conditioning-2/ I am thinking I need to spend more time in the sauna.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    The same can be said for ice baths. Although I'd choose a sauna over an ice bath
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    you can burn up to 600 calories in a 30 minute session

Ummmm.....no, sitting there sweating does not burn any more calories than sitting not sweating & OP I'd be looking for a new trainer if one told me something that ill-informed. Saunas are nice and relaxing and great after a workout but they don't burn calories & fat, they don't tighten your skin but they are a pleasant way to spend half an hour, nothing more.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So, on another forum, I ran into this the other day. You might not be burning calories in the sauna, but it does seem to have an effect on performance. http://fourhourworkweek.com/2014/04/10/saunas-hyperthermic-conditioning-2/ I am thinking I need to spend more time in the sauna.

Only had time to scan but from what I could see that article was an orgy of woo.
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Only had time to scan but from what I could see that article was an orgy of woo.

Not sure what an orgy of woo is? I hope it is not a bad thing. :) Anyway, I liked the article and thought it was well researched.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    A good reason to use the sauna is to warm up quickly before your workout. Especially if it's cold outside. You won't burn any calories. People who cut weight for events (wrestlers, etc) like to work out in a sweatsuit in the sauna...to lose water weight. You don't actually burn any calories just sitting in there, and you would arguably burn more calories if you could workout LONGER without the additional fatigue caused by heat.

Both sauna and steam room can soothe aches and pains and help with certain skin issues.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Holy ten-year-old necro thread!

I don't think I've seen a 10 year bump before. A new record!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

There was another thread about water intake bumped yesterday that's from the same time frame, maybe even the same month
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

psbp4wqni45k.jpg

• Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As someone said above, I would be looking for a new trainer if my trainer told me something that ill informed. Mostly what you lose is a sauna is water, because you sweat, because it's hot. It won't "burn off fat" or "tighten skin".
  • LP_Std
    LP_Std Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Would be kinda nice if it did work that way. Just go into a Sauna and wait until you hit your goal weight.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    <deleted>
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    This thread needs to be Lucille'd....