How can this happen?

Options
Four days ago is weighed 198 but this morning I weigh 199! I stopped weighing myself everyday because I know the numbers will go up and down per day but its been 4 days! Should I have seen a decrease in 4 days? Maybe decreasing calories? I have been more active with the warm weather, not working out but working around the yard and spring cleaning so I dont believe its a muscle gain. I would be grateful to hear what everyone thinks.

Replies

• jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and 2 thoughts come to mind. First, you seem o go over your calories just about every day. That could certainly prevent you from losing and make you gain. Second, I found that when I cut out many of the bar-type replacement meals and other processed foods (like Lean Cuisine), my carb and socium counts dropped significantly and my weight loss jumped.

I spend a little more time preparing foods and making the calories more beneficial (and filling) and it works in the long run. Good luck
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Could be water retention. Sorry, it's just a guess, I hope you find out how to fix your problem : )
  • jlohrke
    jlohrke Posts: 3
    Options
    There could be a few possible reasons. One of them could be your carb intake. If your carb intake is too high, your body only uses so much of it and stores the rest and turns it into fat for energy later. You could not be drinking enough water as well. Water is important for your metabolism and calorie burn. The less water you drink, the slower your metabolism and energy burn will be. Also, not enough water intake will cause water retention of any fluids you drink. I was in your boat a couple weeks ago. I kept bouncing from 198 to 199 back and forth for the last few months. I finally decided to really workout and picked up a workout program called Les Mills Combat. I have lost 6lbs so far and I am so thrilled.....down to 194.4! I wish you luck on your journey! Add me as a friend I would love to help you as much as I could.
  • Jobeth1961
    Jobeth1961 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've just gone from 199 to 198 ~ but can go up and down in a week many times. I weighed myself everyday for many many months to learn this ~ I now weigh once a week (sometimes twice if totally honest) and have learnt what happens if I eat different carbs, too many carbs(bad), more proteins (good), not enough water ~ they all make such a difference it's just not fair. But over the week, if you stick to your calories allowed, drink plenty of water that your body doesn't retain too much out of need, and don't overload on carbs the day before weigh day ~ you will see genuine fat loss = weight loss.

Keep going, keep enjoying the sun in your yard & life. x

PS takes a lot of exercise to gain 1lb of muscle.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i usually do jumps in my weight and it stays the same pretty much all week even go up 1 pound, and then in one night every week or two i shift down 4-6 lbs maybe you just happen to catch a bad water day or you close to your tom.

I actually cant stop myself from weighing every morning it gives me a kick in the butt to keep going but only record the weight once a week on a set day
  • sriley721
    sriley721 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, I will increase water and decrease sodium and carbs and cross my fingers!
  • Jobeth1961
    Jobeth1961 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Had a few moments to look in your food diary. I would agree when you can, introduce some real food to your diet. A lovely large salad with a bit of your favourite fish (be it prawns, salmon, tuna), some fresh crispy vegetables with grilled chicken ~ raid ideas from other people's diaries if you have time to read, make a list, shop, prep & dine ~ big smiles will follow as much more filling than 'bars & cereal' ~ which for me, start a craving that leads to more and more........... enjoy this journey.
  • bnicklaus
    Options
    What I've noticed through experience is my weight fluctuates depending on what time of the month it is. Right before and during my period I can weigh a couple pounds more than the last few days, but after you should see that go back down. I also notice one or two lbs go up if I take in a lot of sodium the day before. It makes you retain water giving you "water weight"...it's okay to fluctuate a little, everyone does it, as long as it does go back down and not keep creeping up.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    4 days isn't that much better than 1 day. Try weekly weigh ins or better yet, once a month/cycle (this is best for women since we fluctuate with our cycles).
  • christianivanka
    christianivanka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    that happens to me all the time, and when i excersise more i dont loose anyweigh people say is cuz of the carbs and not enough water, im a mother of 4 and 80 lbs to loose, and when i dont loose any weigh i try doing thing different the next week and it always works like i cut on sugar or salt thanks u can add me as a friend!!!
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you joined in March...you've already lost 8 lbs. No pity here. Stop looking at the scale, you will only frustrate yourself. This is a process and weight loss is not linear. You will have ups and downs, get used to it. Do not look to the scale for affirmation. Stay with the program and you will lose. If you stall or plateau for 4 -6 weeks it may be time to re-evaluate or adjust your program. Other than that, stay with the process.
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you joined in March...you've already lost 8 lbs. No pity here. Stop looking at the scale, you will only frustrate yourself. This is a process and weight loss is not linear. You will have ups and downs, get used to it. Do not look to the scale for affirmation. Stay with the program and you will lose. If you stall or plateau for 4 -6 weeks it may be time to re-evaluate or adjust your program. Other than that, stay with the process.

Well it's good to see you're rude to everyone, not just me. Nothing in her post made it sound like she was looking for pity. We should be supporting her and her decision to ask for advice instead of giving up when things get tough. Stop belittling people for having questions or concerns when they see strange things happening with their weight. Just because you don't believe in using a scale doesn't mean other people can't use them.

To the OP, I ran into the same issue this week, so I know how you feel! I think if we just keep our deficits and wait, we'll see the numbers go back to normal. It is frustrating when they go the wrong way though! I just try to make sure I don't weigh myself too often since the numbers can jump around a lot and I always do it first thing in the morning so I don't have any food in my belly messing with things. Best of luck to you and I hope things start going the right way again soon :flowerforyou:
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I guess if the truth is rude then yes, I am rude to everyone. As you will find out, two pounds per week is unsustainable, at least if you want to remain healthy. But go about your day thinking I am against you. You will find out in the end that unrealistic expectations are the number 1 motivation killer of a healthy lifestyle. But, hold to your unrealistic expectations, become disillusioned because you fail to reach unrealistic goals, and quit...lot's of people do.
  • cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about food... even tho its lean cuisine and meal replacement bars, it's still processed junk. Eat real and raw food. Good luck!
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the "real food" comments above. Your diary is pretty much fancy granola bars, cereal and Lean Cuisine. I have nothing against any of these on occasion, but every day? No wonder you feel like more should be happening -- I'd be starving if that's what I was eating too.

I have my diary open to friends, so feel free to add me. I eat a lot more food, but easily stay under my current goal and I'm very rarely hungry. I think you need to eat some meat or other less snack food protein. More veggies. Lots more veggies.
  • pureirishman
    pureirishman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me, it is always one of two things; 1) SALT intake. salt is guaranteed to cause a temporary weight jump that can take a day or two to fade. 2) A change in diet that create 'food retention' . to put it politely.
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I guess if the truth is rude then yes, I am rude to everyone. As you will find out, two pounds per week is unsustainable, at least if you want to remain healthy. But go about your day thinking I am against you. You will find out in the end that unrealistic expectations are the number 1 motivation killer of a healthy lifestyle. But, hold to your unrealistic expectations, become disillusioned because you fail to reach unrealistic goals, and quit...lot's of people do.

When was 2 lbs. per week mentioned? Did I miss that? I agree that that's not sustainable for most people. Food is too yummy (and important) to cut back that much lol. Also I don't really think anyone has mentioned unrealistic expectations (unless I did actually miss something about 2 lbs. per week). I don't think the OP is being unrealistic, and neither am I. In fact, I think everyone has posted some useful advice and I hope that it helps. I don't think the OP will quit, and I sure as hell won't either. But that's not the point of this thread, so let's stop derailing this and just support the OP, ok?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Four days ago is weighed 198 but this morning I weigh 199! I stopped weighing myself everyday because I know the numbers will go up and down per day but its been 4 days! Should I have seen a decrease in 4 days? Maybe decreasing calories? I have been more active with the warm weather, not working out but working around the yard and spring cleaning so I dont believe its a muscle gain. I would be grateful to hear what everyone thinks.

Stop it...nothing about this is linear. I fluctuate 5 Lbs easily day to day...you need to look at this as a general trend over a longer period of time...weeks...months...not a few flippin' days. Chill out and stop stressing about what amounts to some water weight or maybe some poop.

If you're having a lot of processed foods, those are high in sodium...sodium causes you to retain water...when I have a really high sodium day, I can put on a good 8 Lbs for the next couple of days afterwards before it flushes out. I bet if you were to significantly reduce sodium, you'd see a significant drop on the scale just from water....the same happens when you drastically cut carbohydrates as well. Personally I could give a rats about water weight, but I do understand just wanting to see the scale move.

Eat more whole foods...veggies...fruit....lean proteins (get your protein...most women don't get nearly enough, particularly at a deficit of calories)...put away the granola bars and "healthy" frozen dinners (about a gazillion Mg of sodium in those)...eat more whole, nutrient dense foods.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You would have to have 3500 calories above and beyond your TDEE to gain 1 lb of fat. Example...if your TDEE is 2100 calories a day times 4 days 2100*4= Total TDEE for 4 days is 8400 calories . Now, add 3500 calories to add 1 lb of fat gain in four days. 8400+3500 = 11,900 calories. So if you ate 11,900 calories in four days, I would say it could have been possible.

Or

It's water retention due to many various factors like: sodium intake, dehydrating (not drinking enough water) you body will hold everything you give it, hormones ....etc

Don't worry so much...this is a lifestyle..losing weight is not linear and you may gain weight some weeks/months, but that is due to micro nutrient fluctuations and hormone levels balancing etc... Over the longer trend line you will lose. Only weigh once a month. Measurements (physical changes) and BF% are your best bet.

Make sure your set up correctly: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

Keep up the great work!
  • chevy1063
    Options
    So times we take one step backwards and two steps forwards. There will be weeks where we might gain or just stay right where we are at. The biggest thing to do, is not let is get you down. All good things come in time, keep working at it and it will happen before you know it.
    One day you will try on a pair of pants, that you did not think would fit and BAMM they do. It is not always the number on the scale that counts. We lose inches with out lose pounds.. Stay strong :)