can not reach my sodium macro

Options
so my sodium macro says i should have around 2500 sodum a day but i rarely eat processed/salted meat or fish so usually i am around 200 maximum 1000 sodium and only reached 2500 once last month.

Is it bad for me can i not worry about it? Or should i increase my sodium and if so how without everything tasting so extremely salty?

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Have too much salt and you retain water. It's one of the macros I ignore.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    no, you are fine - my sodium level is around 500mg-1200mg a day .
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    ahh ok then i am feeling fine again my boyfriend had me worried yesterday saying its not good if i eat to low sodium =)
  • mamosh81
    Options
    and i just noticed i posted this in the wrong forum silly me but thanks for the quick answeres
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    Sodium is not a macro nutrient
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think MFP has it set too high. I heard that you're really only supposed to have about 1500 a day.
  • royallv
    royallv Posts: 84 Member
    Options
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    If you don't need to track that one (I do, because I go over too often), you can always change your settings so you track something else, like calcium intake.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    you need some sodium in your diet for healthy functioning, but it's hard not to get it these days.

I love my soy sauce too much so often hit the 2500 quite easily.

Sodium is linked to lots of bad things such as clotting and stroke, so don't think you should be eating more necessarily. Much better to be under than over!
  • mamosh81
    Options
    thank you thank you for all the kind and helpful replies i feel much better now like i said was just worried after what my boyfriend said. Guess that is at least one thing i dont have to worry about =)
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/23/cutting-back-on-salt-how-low-is-too-low/

If you're hitting 200-1000 you're probably okay. 1500 is what some people want the new recommendation for everybody. For the vast majority of people it is a "maximum", not a number to aim for. However, you do need some sodium in your diet for proper kidney function.