Avocados!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Everyone's pretty much covered the fact that your avo wasn't quite ripe yet.

I eat them all sorts of ways--mostly I like them just plain, sliced, with whatever I'm having at that meal. But I also have them in green salads, and/or with a bit of tuna or some other fish of your choice. They go really well with bacon. I also enjoy them sliced, atop burgers and sandwiches. You can make guacamole and use that as a dip or spread for veggies, tortilla crisps, etc. also atop burgers, tacos, burritos, etc.

Avocados are great in smoothies, too...weird as that sounds. They're very creamy and make your smoothie pleasantly sweet and rich.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    They are nasty if they aren't ripe. If they are green when you get the put them out on the table for a couple days, when they start to soften and turn a darker color they are ripe. If you aren't going to eat them right away once they are ripe put them in the fridge. I eat one every day. i just cut it in half, take out the seed, salt it and eat it with a spoon.
  • LovahLorah
    LovahLorah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Needed this post, and lol'd because WTF!? were my thoughts exactly! :bigsmile:
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    An avocado is ripe when you can gently press your thumb into it and feel it give.
    I have wrecked many an avocado by being impatient and trying to eat them before they were ripe.

IF you cut into an avocado too early, re-close it and put it in a brown paper sack on the top of the fridge for a day or two--this can help them ripen.

Never put an avocado in the fridge. If you eat half and want the other half for another day, leave the pit in and cover the remaining avocado with the empty shell.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I love them and they are fine if part of your cal allowance and macros. I have just had my lunch which consisted of
    1 avocado mashed with lemon juice
    100 g crabmeat
    Spinach and watercress salad
    tomatoes
    Mange tout.

Total: 400 cals, very filling and very healthy. I often slice the avocado into a salad and put in all in an airtight box, keeps fine in the fridge at work until lunchtime....
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If an avocado feels like a good bicep, firm but with a little give, it's ready. If it feels like a kneecap, it's not. If it feels like a boobie, chuck it in the bin.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If an avocado feels like a good bicep, firm but with a little give, it's ready. If it feels like a kneecap, it's not. If it feels like a boobie, chuck it in the bin.

Haha! Best advice ever! I'll keep that in mind, thanks! :D
  • pinchmonster
    Options
    I use them instead of mayo, mush them up real nice and then add a squirt of sriracha to add a little heat flavor. Great with turkey or chicken!
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i eat a whole avocado every day ; ) I LOVE AVOCADO !!!!!! : )))))) i mix mine with tuna!

Me too. I half mine then wrap something around mine, a slice of ham, lettuce leaf, lovely