Cardio day- Do you drink protein shakes?

Options
i always wondered this. On cardio day, i usually burn 800-1000 calories...heavy workout...

cardio day consists of bike , elliptical or treadmill with the occasional ab machine. But since im not lifting, should i still be drinking protein shakes?

Replies

• Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I do! I drink one every morning (well, like 5 days a week) and it not only gets my calories up, since I know I'm going to be burning a lot, but it keeps me full from 7 a.m. until lunch, around 12 p.m. I might occasionally have a bit of cereal or a Fiber One bar in between, but otherwise, I still maintain a full feeling for as long as I need to.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what I am doing I have one every AM for breakfast - reason being..I can not eat breakfast :( I have tried and tried but gag so I gave up. I can drink no problem - food just makes me ill so early. Protein fills me up far longer than anything so I have one for breakfast for the protein and calories :)
    I think with heavy cardio someone suggested Carbs are more important - however carbs from anything except veggies make me hungry all day!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    how many protein shakes should you drink within a day
  • elsbbels
    elsbbels Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I drink one a day, after my workout (mainly cardio) as it helps to meet my protein macro and calories :)
  • raven56706
    Options
    ok so can i say the following is correct?

it doesnt matter if its cardio or weight lifting, drinking protein shakes on a given day is a good thing if you need your protein intake to go up.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options

it doesnt matter if its cardio or weight lifting, drinking protein shakes on a given day is a good thing if you need your protein intake to go up.

Correct. It's very useful for helping to get your calorific and protein intake up.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, what's cardio day?
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    how many protein shakes should you drink within a day

2-3 per day everyday. No matter what day it is.
  • leTwist
    leTwist Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are correct. As long as it fits into your Calories, having a Proteinshake is always a good idea
  • anubhavsharma18
    anubhavsharma18 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink it after my running. It has increased my recovery process as i don't feel tired for next days run.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

See bold.

I'm only clarifying because some people tend to think that protein in a shake form is somehow magic.

If your diet is in need of more protein you could also eat more whole food protein.

Regarding your "how many shakes should I have per day" question previously asked, that's also going to be dependent on how much additional protein you need that you are not getting through whole foods.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, you should be drinking protein shakes if you need additional protein to hit your calorie goal. It's not about a workout, it's about your macros/diet.

Second... drink them if they help you stick to your daily calories.

Third, I'm not sure it makes THAT big of a difference as far as muscle breakdown/metabolic window/etc... but to me it's kind of like a multivitamin - easy insurance, so why not?
  • Chesty36
    Chesty36 Posts: 3
    Options
    For me, the point of protein shakes is to keep me fuller for longer, and to help repair muscle. Given that you break muscle down by cycling, treadmill etc, albeit not to the same degree as lifting, I would have one, as you still need to help repair and strengthen muscle. And I do have one every morning after I cycle into work.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    yep...Cardio or Strength I get in a protein shake after my workout...

I find that it helps with recovery cause I burn anywhere between 600 to 1300 calories a day with my workouts...and I workout 6 days a week...
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I drink one in the morning after my workout, and one in the evening to make sure I get enough protein in my diet.
  • raven56706
    Options
    the thing for me is my protein intake is another problem... i dont get enough...

with the shakes at work, i can manage it well and get my calories up... take a look at my diary today.... i beg all who responded to here friend request me and take a look... today you will see that by a certain period i will need more.

would be nice for you guys to critique it as well. To be honest, working in NYC is hard and can be expensive to eat clean.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I scrolled through about 10 days of your dairy.

First, you're almost always under your calorie goal, usually by quite a bit, so you've got some cals to play with.

Second, there is very little true protein sources on your list... animal proteins (beef, chicken, fish, eggs), dairy protein (milk, cheese, greek yogurt). Some of that takes legitimate cooking and is hard to do at work or on the go. But some of it is very easy. Looks like you just need a little more practice figuring out how to better balance foods to get closer to your macros.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Yes, that's a fair statement... though I would say that getting the protein from food rather than supplements would be preferred.
  • projectbam
    Options
    Agree with jacksonpt ..

I only take a protein shake on the day i train and only immed. AFTER i train.
    I choose to get my protein the rest of the time .. and on days i dont train from food sources.

A
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I take a protein shake on any day I am not confident that I have gotten sufficient protein from meats and dairy, regardless of activity. Unless you're referring specifically one like Optimum Nutrition's Hydrobuilder, which was specifically formulated for post-workout (has added creatine and such), I see no reason to do anything different.