The hardship diet: losing weight the Cuban way

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Where does the US come into this. Anyone from out of space would think that the whole problem stems from the Cuban Government starving their people, when big foot decides to ensure that economic sanctions crippled the country just because the Cuban Government does not bend to our demands. Fault does not lie with one government research would show that.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    You guys, chill. It's just a study/observation.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    So..we are now using the forced starvation of a whole country as a way to justify our diet choices? Cool beans.
    I wish people who never went through one day of poverty in their lives would stop trying to find the "silver linings" in it.

QFT
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member

That is being discussed, yes?

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Shocking:noway: So the study shows eating less and exercising more lowers risks of diseases? I had no idea.

I'll pass on the government forcing me to live like that.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    call me crazy, but I want to live in a country where the poor have problems with being overweight.

So the US or the UK then.

Obesity seems to be correlated with poverty in these environments which is odd given that poorer people tend to hold manual jobs as opposed to "white collar" jobs and therefore should be more active....
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member

That is being discussed, yes?

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!

A study/observation that sees a silver lining to starvation and a return to pre-industrial labor.

Yea, that's pretty cool. We should chill.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    When your country's dictator is starving you and then someone comes along and thinks "This is actually good for you!" - that's messed up. Just knowing friends who got out of Cuba and knowing they left because they were hungry and their government wasn't providing them enough of the basics - that kills me. This article is awful.

Of course this would have nothing to do with your country's imposed embargo...
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Still trying to figure out why this post is in the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" section.

Wondering how many pages it will go before locking
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I think it's fine to observe that when people ate less and exercised more, in their daily lives, not because they had the privilege of taking time for exercise, rates of obesity related diseases dropped. The facts are not political.
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    I find this article very offensive. As if starving were a choice.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    When your country's dictator is starving you and then someone comes along and thinks "This is actually good for you!" - that's messed up. Just knowing friends who got out of Cuba and knowing they left because they were hungry and their government wasn't providing them enough of the basics - that kills me. This article is awful.

Since this was done in 1960 and I wasn't even alive yet... I guess they couldn't ask me if I supported it before they went ahead and did it. Because, you know, normally every single person in America is asked before the government goes and does something.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    More calories expended than consumed= weight loss. Why is this news?

Bc so many people think they can take a pill or drink a drink and lose weight. If people were more and better informed, what should be common sense wouldn't be news.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member

Between 1990 and 1995, the average Cuban consumed fewer calories than they expended each day, leading to an average weight loss of 5kg.

I wonder what the TDEE-20% (eat more or you won't lose weight) fanatics have to say about this. Oh, I guess they could claim that the weight loss was "lean" body mass. I'm pretty sure these people were dropping fat like crazy. I've always been wary of posting this in the forums, but I often think of the concentration camp victims and how they ate VERY little and worked from dawn 'til dusk. I didn't see any overweight people leaving those camps. Oh, and before I get attacked, I agree that forced starvation and labor are horrible. Voluntary "starvation" and exercise... not so much.

What's interesting about your statement is that you have the attitude as though the "TDEE-20% fanatics" are trying to hurt anyone. Eating at a deficit is what drops weight. Period. But if you don't have to eat at a very low calorie, then why would you? Most people give up trying to lose weight because they are fooled into believing that they have to eat really really really low, then in most cases, that type of diet is more harmful than helpful.

Also, just because you don't see any overweight people leaving concentration camps, doesn't mean you saw any healthy one leave there either. Malnutrition, messed up metabolism, poor health in general...not exactly a goal to strive for, at least in my book.

It's the misconception that thin = healthy that is surprising me. Thin does not always equal healthy.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member

Between 1990 and 1995, the average Cuban consumed fewer calories than they expended each day, leading to an average weight loss of 5kg.

I wonder what the TDEE-20% (eat more or you won't lose weight) fanatics have to say about this. Oh, I guess they could claim that the weight loss was "lean" body mass. I'm pretty sure these people were dropping fat like crazy. I've always been wary of posting this in the forums, but I often think of the concentration camp victims and how they ate VERY little and worked from dawn 'til dusk. I didn't see any overweight people leaving those camps. Oh, and before I get attacked, I agree that forced starvation and labor are horrible. Voluntary "starvation" and exercise... not so much.

What's interesting about your statement is that you have the attitude as though the "TDEE-20% fanatics" are trying to hurt anyone. Eating at a deficit is what drops weight. Period. But if you don't have to eat at a very low calorie, then why would you? Most people give up trying to lose weight because they are fooled into believing that they have to eat really really really low, then in most cases, that type of diet is more harmful than helpful.

Also, just because you don't see any overweight people leaving concentration camps, doesn't mean you saw any healthy one leave there either. Malnutrition, messed up metabolism, poor health in general...not exactly a goal to strive for, at least in my book.

It's the misconception that thin = healthy that is surprising me. Thin does not always equal healthy.

Many, if not most, people who were fortunate enough to survive concentration camps, were emaciated and near dead.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Things weren't a whoel ot better before that either. My wife is Cuban, came here on a tiny boat. I don't have 1st hand experience, but I've heard the stories and seen pictures.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    But Cubans have such an awesome Arroz Congri! :happy: YUM.... drooling just thinking about it! :sad:
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Yeah...I'm not too sure I even want to read that article. :noway:
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member

You are incredibly misguided. If you think Cuba's leader(s) are suffering the same mistreatment as its citizens, you could blame the US embargo. But, as in most dictatorships, the top is resting comfortably while the bottom struggles to survive. Our embargo isn't causing their leaders' greed. It's also not the reason they've shut themselves out from most of the world.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Yeah...I'm not too sure I even want to read that article. :noway:

It's very tame and again, just an observation.
This discussion has been closed.