Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Under calorie goal-but not hungry!

I have been tracking my calories for a little over a week now and have lost 5 pounds since my first weigh -in. Yesterday I was 600 calories UNDER my goal, but I wasn't hungry! My goal is set for 1200 per day and I consumed 696 net. I didn't want to make myself eat another 600 when I wasn't hungry. I don't know if this was just a fluke and to not worry about it or if I should be concerned. I eat and later times on Tuesdays due to my work schedule and don't know if that has anything to do with it.

What is your advice?

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Hey,

I have had the same issue at times. You really need to do yourself a favour and make yourself eat a bit more. Whether it's by adding something more calorie dense to a normal meal or adding an extra meal, if you are having 600 net on a regular basis it can't be good for you!

I know this advice is kinda limited, but it's up to you to think logically and know what is good for you.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    If this occurs once in a while, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I too have this issue when I workout twice a day (granted I'm consuming almost 3500 calories those days). I would say snack throughout the day if you can, healthy stuff of course. This usually helps me.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    You need to address that. What do you think your body isn't performing to enable you to burn all those calories at a deficit? Something important inside you is probably being short changed. You will experience healthier results if you eat closer to your TDEE. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    One day of netting too low won't kill you or ruin your metabolism. Sometimes you just aren't hungry or don't have a lot of time. Just don't make it a regular thing.
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    If it's an isolated incident, don't worry about it. Sometime you're just not hungry and it can be difficult to force yourself to eat.
    It's not going to matter so much if you are over 1 day then under the next day. What's going to matter more is your intake over time.
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    If you find difficulty in consuming calories may I suggest shakes - a banana, some peanut butter, milk of your choice, it's a creative process. Easy calories in my opinion :)

And congrats on the weight loss! :)
  • Peaches4me
    Peaches4me Posts: 3 Member
    so what are you eating? I still find myself hungry and getting close to the 1200 if I don't work out.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Agree with everyone, once in a blue moon is fine! But if it becomes regular then I'd advise you to do something about it.
    If you get used to it then your appetite might get smaller and hence the less hungry you become, and your body will suffer eventually. Also, it might catch up with you and lead to binging. That's what happened to me!

Also, you're not hungry, but are your energy levels alright? Are you carrying out your daily activities to the efficiency level you used to? This is important too!

There are loads of calorie dense healthy foods to fill your caloric goal! Full fat cheese, nuts and seeds, avocado/guacamole, hummus, full fat yoghurt, oil for cooking, fatty fish like salmon, meat with more fats... Good luck :)
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    I had the same issue the past 2 days....and Im getting stick for netting so low!? If my MFP friends knew me in real life they would know how laugable that is! LOL.

Anyways, I kinda figure those days will balance out with my Treat/Binge or Rest days! The days when hunger wont take no for an answer....I plan to focus more on my Weekly Net Calories for a more balanced view. Some days we are hungrier than others, its a fact!

Peaches4me - feel free to add me if you want to check out my diary - 3 healthy meals with a focus on protein and low carb ingredients, plus fruit and nut snacks! :-)
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Maybe see a doctor if it's bothering you. You might have issues that mean you don't need to consume very many calories if you are having so few calories and your are feeling normal. My aunt has thyroid issues and she consumes very few calories a day and is healthy outside of her thyroid problems. If you start feeling poorly then up your calories-- use cooking oil or have some peanut butter or something.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    That happens to me sometimes and I don't stress out about it, but that's only because there are many days that I'm over my net calories (and I don't stress about that either). It's the ebb and flow of life. I usually try to meet somewhere in the middle, by having a handful of almonds which gives me good quality calories, but not an entire meals worth.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    To be honest I would bet that 1200 itself is too low, let alone 696.

Undereating is not a problem if it's not a regular thing. Some days we are hungrier than others. It happens.

I'd recommend you look at this thread though and think about recalculating your calorie allowance.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013
  • crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks for all the comments! My energy yesterday was fine, I do have Thryoid issues (been on synthroid for 20 years). I'm thinking I just wasn't hungry yesterday for some reason. I don't want to starve myself that's for sure, and I've never had any problems in the past-one of the reasons I'm on here :) I will start to incorporate healthier fats like avocados and nuts throughout the day anyway though because I think that is a great idea! May bump my goal up to 1500 per day with those added foods....
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    im like this. you just have to learn to build in regular small snacks and actually eat them even if you dont feel like it. to me its important that im near to 1200 net as i want to make sure i have given my body enough fuel but its very difficult for me to get there without planning
  • Voicing the same thoughts as every body else, that this unlikely to be a huge problem as it's a one off. I just wanted to add that you mentioned a change in your eating pattern on a Tuesday, and I expect that could be a large factor of why you just weren't hungry!

When I started my health plan in January, I tried to stop eating after 7.30pm. Now, it's turned into a habit, and even if I have calories to eat back after I go to the gym, I struggle to do so just because it's late, and I very rarely feel hungry in the evenings- my body has just accepted the changes. To try and make sure I don't fall too far under my calorie allowance, or feel like i'm not eating enough macronutrients, i've rearranged where and what I eat during the day to work in relation to the time I have and how hungry I am. So, my biggest meal (or 'dinner') I have either in the morning or midday, my middle meal (or 'lunch') I again have in either the morning or at midday and then my smallest meal I have in the evening before I go to the gym (if i'm going). This usually consists of some fruit/veg and a protein shake (again, dependant on going to the gym).

You're the best judge as to what will work best for you, but if eating under causes you any concerns, just change things around. :)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    would you be willing to open your diary so we can see what you have been eating and see where you could make adjustments to increase your calories with healthy alternatives?
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Might be okay once or twice but if you stay under 1200 a lot you are going to end up gaining weight as your body will hold on to every calorie. You will also slow your metabolism over time and make it that much harder to lose weight.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Maybe as much as twice a week is this healthy behavior, but only if you're eating over your goal the other days. 1200 is usually too low, except for when the person is extremely overweight, very short, and/or initial weight loss. Try and find more time to eat throughout the day, snack on more calorie dense food, whatever. If you're eating 700 cal every day, your body's metabolism will slow and eventually if you start eating more, it will hold onto everything you give it (which is why recovering anorexics gain weight even just eating at 800 or so calories).

Honestly, if I were you, I would aim above my goal until I could comfortably meet it. You're not going to gain at 1400 cals a day, unless you've already restricted too much.

EDIT: Op, just saw your latest post. I think you're on the right track.
  • crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks again for the comments and encouragement! I thought my diary was open. I'll make sure it is now.