rolled oats: cooked or raw?

Options
twelfty
twelfty Posts: 576 Member
anyone know if there's a difference between eating rolled oats raw or cooked, until today i've always cooked them, but today in all honesty i couldn't bothered to wait 5 mins for the microwave lol so i just added my milk and sugar and ate away and it was sooooo much easier to eat the same portion, from a weight gain perspective this is great, as i've struggled every day to finish the amount i wanted to eat but today i probably could have eaten more

i'm guessing it makes them less easy to digest which worries me that i wont get the same amount of calories

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats are rolled, which breaks the hull and increases the surface area. I think it's mostly personal preference how you eat them. Granola/muesli typically includes uncooked oats (well, might be baked, but not sure it affects the chemistry much from a digestibility stand point). I seriously doubt there is any significant difference in digestibility between raw rolled oats and cooked ones. My version is to pour some hot water over old-fashioned oats mixed with a bit of cocoa powder and a dash of sugar and eat it as soon as the water is soaked up. I prefer the mouth feel of "under-cooked" oatmeal.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats are delicious raw if you soak them overnight in milk and mix them with berries, nuts and yogurt. I cook them instead because raw oats give me indigestion, so you may be correct that you won't get the same calories from raw oats. It only takes two minutes in my microwave, and I chop up an apple while I'm waiting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Technically, you can't eat them raw since they are steamed when they are rolled. But I always eat them dry because I don't like texture of them cooked or wet. I eat them mixed with peanut butter and a splash of maple syrup. It kind of reminds me of a no-bake cookie only chewier. I'm sure my gut can still break them down. It may even be better this way because it might take longer to break it down.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't be any difference weight-loss or nutritionally since the only difference is added water.

Personally don't like the texture of raw oats, but if I'm going to use them for granola or snacking I toast them (spread on a cookie sheet and leave in a low 250 F oven for about 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep from burning until they turn golden, and them return to their original container).

But if you're happy eating raw oats, eat raw oats!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    what...? people eat oats raw (apart from soaking them over night)???

i guess you learn something new everyday...

ew haaha
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like to soak them overnight in almond milk and then add them to my breakfast smoothie in the morning. Very tasty.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Its going to clean you out! Lol gonna come out just like it went in!

I only nuke mine for 2min you must be eating a whole cup.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Never a problem for me. I always eat them uncooked. I don't like the texture of cooked or overnight oats. I like a little bit of crunch.
  • twelfty
    Options

I only nuke mine for 2min you must be eating a whole cup.

i eat a whole bowl it's between 150 and 200g (i aim for a minimum of 150 which i have marked in the bowl but usually go over this )

as for whoever said about weightloss... did you read my OP? :laugh:
  • twelfty
    Options

Never a problem for me. I always eat them uncooked. I don't like the texture of cooked or overnight oats. I like a little bit of crunch.

i have to say after today i'm with you, if there's no loss of calories i seriously prefer them raw
  • bcattoes
    Options
    what...? people eat oats raw (apart from soaking them over night)???

i guess you learn something new everyday...

ew haaha

When they were little, my girls used to like to eat those single packs of sugary oatmeal dry as dessert. They'd just rip the pack open and pour in their mouth.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Same! I hate the texture of completely cooked oats so I eat them undercooked or a short soak.
  • thepotz
    thepotz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Always had mine raw all this in a blender for 20 seconds
    fast and full of energy till lunch time

Myprotein - Instant Oat (Unflavoured), 100 g
    Milk Soya Unsweetened - Value, 400 ml
    Premium Protein Pro Xl, 35 g
    Frozen Blueberries, 120 g
  • bcattoes
    Options
    anyone know if there's a difference between eating rolled oats raw or cooked, until today i've always cooked them, but today in all honesty i couldn't bothered to wait 5 mins for the microwave lol so i just added my milk and sugar and ate away and it was sooooo much easier to eat the same portion, from a weight gain perspective this is great, as i've struggled every day to finish the amount i wanted to eat but today i probably could have eaten more

i'm guessing it makes them less easy to digest which worries me that i wont get the same amount of calories

According to the USDA ( http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ ) 1 cup of dry regular or quick oats has 307 calories. I cup of cooked (in water) regular or quick oats has 166 calories.

But most, if not all, the difference in those is going to be amount of oats actually in the cup, rather than cooked vs. dry.
  • twelfty
    Options

According to the USDA ( http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ ) 1 cup of dry regular or quick oats has 307 calories. I cup of cooked (in water) regular or quick oats has 166 calories.

But most, if not all, the difference in those is going to be amount of oats actually in the cup, rather than cooked vs. dry.

hmmm yeah this makes sense really so if anything i can eat more and gain the extra calories from the fact i can fit more in my stomach
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

i have to say after today i'm with you, if there's no loss of calories i seriously prefer them raw

Okay I'm going to try this then. I made an assumption and should not have :blushing:

Didn't think it was to lose weight. Was thinking out loud why it would take 5min.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating raw rolled oats in muesli but they have a slight powdery aftertaste which I don't enjoy so now I toast them.