Do you know what your maintenance calories would be if you w

Options
I have been wondering if I weighed 130 and wanted to maintain, what will my calorie goal be ... have you wondered about this?

It's interesting, I am 170 pounds away from maintenance, (not close at all but still down 27 wonderful pounds thus far), and coincidentally I would be eating 30 calories more a day to maintain 130 pounds than I do now to loose 2 pounds a week. I am pleased I am learning what maintenance will be like now, that takes the mystery and fear out of it. Also makes it seem achievable.

And the bonus, exercise earns more calories to eat. I like that.

How do your calories for weight loss versus maintenance come out? Please share your thoughts.

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    You can go to goals and reset with your futuristic information (weight and maintenance level) and it will calculate it for you. THen just change it back to your accurate weight and weekly weight loss goal.
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I think it's really cool to understand how many calories you need for maintenance because that has always scared me. And now I realize that it's no big mystery or crazy thing. The way I am eating now I am finding very satisfying and I will be allowed a few more calories for maintenance. Plus, several days a week I gain some calories from exercise, so I should be able to maintain once I get there ... getting there is still a challenge, but every day I am making some progress.

If you are the kind of person to get scared off things sometimes, this is worth knowing early on, because it may be much more food than you thought. Yahoo.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I worked out my maintenance for my goal weight, and set my daily goal to that. It's marginally higher than my goal for losing 1/2 lb/week, and high enough that I don't go over it with exercise, although I'm usually under.

I figure eventually my weight will balance out, and I won't have to make any further changes :D I don't have a lot to lose in the grand scheme of things, so it probably wouldn't happen much faster than this even if I tried to do the 1200 calorie thing!
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    smart idea ... my goal is for 130 pounds which gives me about 1400 calories to eat, but I am 5'2" so I may want to go lighter but for now that is a realistic first goal ..