You can eat way more than 1200 cals/day and reach your goal!

Options

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    YOU can.. but not EVERYONE can.

I wish people would stop with 1200 calories. It's JUST a number. It has NOTHING to do with anything except its some random number that this website uses when someone says they want 'to lose 2 lbs / week'. Calculate your calories properly using one of the methods in some threads like these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

There are many people who eat 1200 and less because that is RIGHT for their age,weight, height and activity - I net 1307 calculated from the IPOARM method. Seems to work for me but obviously it's not going to work for everyone. I encourage people to do their own research instead of relying completely on what someone else tells them to do.

the point is that you realize you're supposed to NET 1300 which means you're actually eating more. Many people on this site eat a gross of 1200 calories, which is NEVER ok.

yes. I said that in absolutes. because it's true.

lol, and you're reasoning is?

because I've never heard of someone with a BMR below 1000. have you?

Yes, but what is your point? Are you saying bariatric surgery patients should eat over 1200 cals post op?

Not without strict supervision from a doctor and significant supplements. It's nearly impossible to get enough nutrients at 1200 cals, not to mention less.

This isn't to override someone's medically prescribed diet, its for the rest of us who aren't on the verge of death.
  • Fit_Mama99
    Options
    @jenkins....if you look under the community tab, then go to groups, do a search on Eat More to Weigh Less.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Eat more to weigh more.

Most of us got fat eating more.

Nothing wrong with eating 1200 if you have plenty of fat stores.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Good morning MFP's! I've had a few ladies asking me about what I'm doing to drop the weight lately. Was going to PM someone and then thought it's no secret, so I'll just post it here. Then someone suggested I post this info in the forums also. Over the past several months I was slacking with my workouts and put on about 6 lbs. I'd close out my diary at the end of the day with good intentions, and then end up going over...way over some days. That's how I gained back those 6 lbs. Well, I felt like I looked best at my lowest weight of 127, so instead of drastically cutting my calories to lose the 6 lbs, I looked on scoobysworkshop.com (accurate calorie calculator) and found out my maintenance calorie goal for 127 lbs. So I've been staying within that goal, making sure I work out according to the activity level I set there, and it's working for me. No one should eat at 1200 calories IMO. That's just ridiculous nonsense. The lowest I ever went with my calories was to 1500 and THEN hit a plateau (I was within maybe 10 lbs of my goal), which I only broke when I decided to try INCREASING my cals! I will say that I'm not hungry eating at maintenance and I can eat what I want as long as I do a little planning and pre-logging at times. I'm in this for the long haul so this is how I've made it livable for me. I'm making sure I have at least 64 oz of water a day, more if possible. I eat five meals a day-breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and evening snack. This way I never get too hungry and keep my body fueled. I'm doing a new thing now where I look at my goal for the week and if I go over slightly one day, I try to make it even out by the end of the week. I set a goal of eating at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day and try to pretty much eliminate processed carbs from my day as much as possible. Strength training 3 days a week, try to do cardio daily, and no less than 4 days a week, try to hit my macros, and try to eat whole grain instead of white rice, pasta, and bread...actually I don't eat a lot of any of that even though I love it. If you haven't checked out the MFP group Eat More to Weigh Less, you really should. They have a "starter kit" e-book you can purchase for $5 that has a wealth of information (shout out to Lucia and Kiki)! Those girls have got it going on and they know what they're talking about! Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps some of you.

Way to think in absolutes

Thank you.

If you're eating 1500 calories a day and not eating exercise cals back, you're netting less than 1200 a day .
    LOL! Superiority fail.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Eat more to weigh more.

EM2WM doesn't mean eating random thousands of calories. It means eat more than a pitifully restrictive diet e.g. 1200 in order to lose FAT only, not "WEIGHT"
  • Mads1997
    Options
    Eat more to weigh more.

EM2WM doesn't mean eating random thousands of calories. It means eat more than a pitifully restrictive diet e.g. 1200 in order to lose FAT only, not "WEIGHT"

I have eaten 1300 for months now and gained lean mass while losing the fat. So it all depends on your goals. Some just want to lose weight others want to retain lean muscle you can do both on a calorie deficit without stuffing your face.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    YOU can.. but not EVERYONE can.

I wish people would stop with 1200 calories. It's JUST a number. It has NOTHING to do with anything except its some random number that this website uses when someone says they want 'to lose 2 lbs / week'. Calculate your calories properly using one of the methods in some threads like these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

There are many people who eat 1200 and less because that is RIGHT for their age,weight, height and activity - I net 1307 calculated from the IPOARM method. Seems to work for me but obviously it's not going to work for everyone. I encourage people to do their own research instead of relying completely on what someone else tells them to do.

the point is that you realize you're supposed to NET 1300 which means you're actually eating more. Many people on this site eat a gross of 1200 calories, which is NEVER ok.

yes. I said that in absolutes. because it's true.

lol, and you're reasoning is?

because I've never heard of someone with a BMR below 1000. have you?

Yes, but what is your point? Are you saying bariatric surgery patients should eat over 1200 cals post op?

i think getting bariatric surgery in the first place is a cop out, but that's me.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Eat more to weigh more.

I have eaten 1300 for months now and gained lean mass while losing the fat. So it all depends on your goals. Some just want to lose weight others want to retain lean muscle you can do both on a calorie deficit without stuffing your face.

and your weight loss will almost certainly plateau before you reach your goal.
  • Mads1997
    Options
    Eat more to weigh more.

Actually it did. when I was eating 1600 1700 and 1800 cals. I reduced because I stalled out eating too much. I enlisted the help of a registered dietician. Who says there is nothing wrong with eating below your BMR if you have plenty of fat stores.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Eat more to weigh more.

Actually it did. when I was eating 1600 1700 and 1800 cals. I reduced because I stalled out eating too much. I enlisted the help of a registered dietician. Who says there is nothing wrong with eating below your BMR if you have plenty of fat stores.

... meh, I disagree, but obviously I'm not the registered dietician. :tongue: in any case, wish ya luck!
  • Mads1997
    Options
    Eat more to weigh more.

... meh, I disagree, but obviously I'm not the registered dietician. :tongue: in any case, wish ya luck!

That's right. Like all the others promoting eat more 2 weigh less. :yawn:
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I can't. I gain weight.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Eat more to weigh more.

That's right. Like all the others promoting eat more 2 weigh less. :yawn:

ouch, i took the high road and you stuck to the low one. bummer.

appeal to authority is a fallacy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can come back and read more of CoachReddy's arguing.

jonstewartpopcorn_zps2dd56bbb.gif
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Bumping so I can come back and read more of CoachReddy's arguing.

jonstewartpopcorn_zps2dd56bbb.gif

I'm honored. :love: :heart: :love:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    That's why you see tons of people, who do 1200 calories, post that "I'm not losing anymore or "I hit a plateau", etc. every single day!!! I rather eat than starve!!! You can't do 1200 calories the rest of your life!!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I need Coach to be my dietitcian lol or atleast my trainer me *kitten* is stuck to the sofa I just cant exercise ....so freaking lazy.....
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Eat more to weigh more.

It's great that semi-starving yourself allows you to feel superior to those of us with higher calorie goals, but what on earth is wrong with maintaining a calorie deficit WHILE stuffing your face? Do you not like food? How sad for you.
  • Appletree5
    Options
    I am no expert - and would never claim to be - just doing what works for me.
    I have been on 1200 since Nov12 and have lost 62lbs - I have another 48lbs to go before I am able to see my final target weight in sight - I do clean cooking and eating which is hard work compared to the easy way -which put weight on me. I know at some point I will have to up my intake the closer I get to my target and the loss slow's down (at least thats what I think I will have to do):smile:
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Yeah, thanks everyone that says 1200 is too little, it makes me feel great. Why can't people accept that 1200 is OK for some people, why do people need to make "No one should eat at 1200 calories " comments.

I'm 5'0", 25, 125lbs, and Sedentary (desk job), how much do YOU think I should be eating?