GNC GOLD CARD... Worth it?

Does anyone have the GNC Gold Card membership? I want to know if its worth buying it for $15 (for a year?). I only purchase my protein powder from there and it lasts me for about two months. I'm sure I'll end up buying more if worth it.

I read the terms and conditions:
"Twenty percent (20%) discount on eligible purchases made at GNC retail stores during the Discount Period. Discount Period is defined as the first seven (7) days of each month for one (1) year from the date of GNC Gold Card purchase"

So this means a one-time 20% discount on the day I sign up--and 20% off the first 7 days of each month? What if I can't get to a store in the first 7 days, is the card not valid? What if they have a sale in the retail store, will the 20% be applied as well (within first 7 days of month)? What If I wanted to purchase ONLINE, do I get same benefits? Credit check?

Sorry. I hope someone can answer some of my questions. The terms kinda sound pretty self explanatory but I just like to be sure of things before I sign up for anything.

Thanks in advance!

-Nancy

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134195&kw=gold+card&sr=1&origkw=goldcard&csm=418464301&csc=2245228&csa=407470161&csu=2245357

http://www.gnc.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3870979

Replies

• WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Chances are that you'll save more in the long and short run by just shopping on the internet, especially for protein powder.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Hi Nancy--

I had one of those gold cards many moons ago, back when I was living in the US and shopping at GNC. I think I recall it being worthwhile to me then, but honestly I can't recall just how great I thought it was. I know I was buying more than just protein powder back then as well...

It sounds to me like you would need to shop during the first through seventh of the month in order to get the discount, and it's only on "eligible purchases", so certain products (or perhaps stuff that is already marked down) might be excluded from that offer.

I have no idea about online purchases or if the 20% applies in addition to sale prices.

Since you just buy protein, would the 20% discount apply to the protein brand/flavour you get? Have you asked about that? That would have been my first question. Then I'd figure out how much I'd save if I had the gold card discount, as compared to buying the protein retail, regular price. Add the $15 cost for the gold card membership on top of whatever savings you might get and then you know if it's worth it or not.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    If you shop there, yes. It is. However, except for sale prices (which don't stack with the gold card discount) you STILL end up paying more there than you would shopping online at bodybuilding.com (MUCH better selection IMO). So unless you SPECIFICALLY buy GNC brand products, in which case you obviously can't go anywhere else (and their protein bars ARE really good IMO), it's better just to order your stuff online from bodybuilding.com.
  • contingencyplan
    Hi Nancy--

I had one of those gold cards many moons ago, back when I was living in the US and shopping at GNC. I think I recall it being worthwhile to me then, but honestly I can't recall just how great I thought it was. I know I was buying more than just protein powder back then as well...

It sounds to me like you would need to shop during the first through seventh of the month in order to get the discount, and it's only on "eligible purchases", so certain products (or perhaps stuff that is already marked down) might be excluded from that offer.

I have no idea about online purchases or if the 20% applies in addition to sale prices.

Since you just buy protein, would the 20% discount apply to the protein brand/flavour you get? Have you asked about that? That would have been my first question. Then I'd figure out how much I'd save if I had the gold card discount, as compared to buying the protein retail, regular price. Add the $15 cost for the gold card membership on top of whatever savings you might get and then you know if it's worth it or not.

GNC labels all of their sale prices as "Hot Buy" items. And "Hot Buy" items do not stack with the Gold Card discount.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    You used to also be able to use them at drugstore.com, and that made it worth it to me at the time. Not sure if that is still available, though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    GNC is pricey compared to the internet even with their "gold" card on discount days.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I haven't been able to find a whey protein comparable to the Optimum Nutrition (24g protein per single scoop) that was more than $5 cheaper online. When I got mine, it saved me more than the cost of the card for 1 5 gallon bucket of whey protein, and has continued to save me more.

I'd rather go to the store near where I work (yay for being on base) because it's cheaper there, and I know that nothing in what they sell will make me pop positive on a piss test, but that puts me in kind of a niche...
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    We get our Gold card free here in the UK?
  • contingencyplan
    We get our Gold card free here in the UK?

Same here in the US--at least where I live. They stopped charging the $15/mo back in 2010.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    I you like shopping at GNC then it is worth it. I typically get my supps online though and will save more there. Bodybuilding.com has some of the cheapest prices around but then you also have to consider the shipping charges.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Tell them you're comparing prices to the Internet and shmooze up the manager and they'll give it to you for free.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    I purchased from GNC one time - bought a useless product at an exorbitent price.

You can find everything and a lot more online, super-cheap. And even then, chances are pretty good that you probably don't need it to begin with... (My $.02 there...)
  • sbrodeur100
    sbrodeur100 Posts: 7 Member
    GNC always more expensive, even with the gold card. Go with Bodybuilding.com or Vitamineshoppe
  • natsmom118
    natsmom118 Posts: 83 Member
    Tell them you're comparing prices to the Internet and shmooze up the manager and they'll give it to you for free.
    ohhhh la-la I like FREE. :-D Thanx for the tip! ;)
  • natsmom118
    I you like shopping at GNC then it is worth it. I typically get my supps online though and will save more there. Bodybuilding.com has some of the cheapest prices around but then you also have to consider the shipping charges.
    Yeah.. I'd hate to pay shipping fees when I can buy it down the street. Although GNC doesn't always have these 'sales'. Hmmm.
  • natsmom118
    Hi Nancy--

Hmm, I haven't asked, I'll phone them today or go to the retail store to know if the discount applies to the protein that I like to buy. I stick with the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey- love it! Thanks for the info/input. :-)