Weight loss 'competition' at work

Options
One of my coworkers started an informal weight loss challenge. We each put in $5 and signed up to meet a certain goal by June 1. I'm the only one in the group who uses MFP (even though I've told everyone all about it). I'm totally going to win this thing!

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Where you will win is in eating healthily. Where you might not lose the most weight is if there are any over competitive types who will crash diet and dehydrate to reduce scale weight.

If you are unfortunate enough to have people like that, don't get disheartened.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Ha ha. That's true. I don't *think* there's anyone like that. And I'm really looking at it just as a fun thing. Actually, I'm hoping that these other women will maybe quit complaining all the time, and join MFP and do something that will really work, lol.

It's all completely informal anyway. We'll probably use the 'winning' money to go out for dinner together, lol.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Ha ha. That's true. I don't *think* there's anyone like that. And I'm really looking at it just as a fun thing. Actually, I'm hoping that these other women will maybe quit complaining all the time, and join MFP and do something that will really work, lol.

It's all completely informal anyway. We'll probably use the 'winning' money to go out for dinner together, lol.

Good for you! Anyways, whoever does weigh lowest, you're winning because you're here already!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I am help head this up at our college/work. We have almost 40 people particiapting over a 4 month period. Initial fee is $5 a person and then you pay in $1 for any pound gained each week. Most the money goes to a scholarship fund, but we use a bit to get motivational prizes for most pounds lost, largest percentage lost, etc. It does help some people.

My issue is, I worry that it doesn't promote realistic weight loss goals and causes some folks to try and crash diet instead of doing a healthy lifestyle change for longevity. We are looking to revamp it and go for something a bit different in the future.

Always a good way to get mor people healthy overall though!