Yoga = Strength Training?

Options
Is it wise to completely substitute yoga as your main source of strength training over doing circuits or other things with weights?

Just a thought... I prefer yoga, but some how I can never bring myself to do strength training... which I should cause I'd like to consider my self a runner...

Add me :D

Replies

• xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I consider yoga a flexibility training exercise (as opposed to strength or cardio)... my strength training mostly consists of resistance training using my own body weight (pushups or crunches) or some free weights... I'm not really into strength training myself, but I like the free weights better than machines.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    yoga doesn't count as strength training because you are not really building muscle very much, it's really about stretcing and increasing flexibility, which is great. Strength training is weight training or resistance training. Don't stop the yoga though, just add some actual strength training a couple of days a week.
  • Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    I think it really depends on the type of yoga you are doing, and the poses, duration etc.... there are actually quite a few poses that will help build lean muscle and increase body strength when done correctly. Consider a one-on-one class with a yoga instructor to help you focus on those areas if you really like the practice. Namaste!:smile:
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I studied with a yoga master for years (back when I was young and thin, lol) and I can tell you that depending on the type of yoga, yes it can be used for strength training. I was super strong AND super bendy. *laugh*

Power yoga is great for that, and now they even have 'hybrids' of yoga and strength training like yoga with weights (there's even a Dummies book for that).
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I studied with a yoga master for years (back when I was young and thin, lol) and I can tell you that depending on the type of yoga, yes it can be used for strength training. I was super strong AND super bendy. *laugh*

Power yoga is great for that, and now they even have 'hybrids' of yoga and strength training like yoga with weights (there's even a Dummies book for that).

That "bendy" comment reminded me of Phoebe from friends and I laughed!!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Definitely strength training. You're using your own body mass as resistance. It primarily builds core strength which is much more importance than building mass for aesthetics.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I think so, but you have to hold poses for long enough, or poses that are challenging enough for you, that your muscles work. Just like you can lift weights - if you lift a weight that is too light for you, it's just going through the motions.
  • cpnegrad07
    cpnegrad07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    then why can't i find it in the list of Exercise and only in Cardio on MyFitnessPal? I, too, consider it to be somewhat strengthening.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yoga can have some aspects of strength training depending on the individual and how novel they are to resistance training.

Actual strength progress is going to be extremely limited and governed compared to a progressive overload of free weights.

I certainly would reject yoga as a "complete" replacement to the benefits of strength training.

If you enjoy yoga, I would suggest to do it along with a progressive overload strength program.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    This thread is 9 years old, @chieflrg. ;) (New profile pic with the wardrobe malfunction! NICE!)

umjovtaxtvjn.gif
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    selbyhutch wrote: »
    Definitely strength training. You're using your own body mass as resistance. It primarily builds core strength which is much more importance than building mass for aesthetics.

Strength training doesn't equate to building mass or hypertrophy on its own. I can get somebody very strong(including core) using weights without focusing on building mass.

• Chieflrg
    Options
    This thread is 9 years old, @chieflrg. ;) (New profile pic with the wardrobe malfunction! NICE!)

umjovtaxtvjn.gif
    I gotta start looking for a date when somebody digs up a old thread.

I mean is a shirt built to contain me? IDK.