What to wear on your new body?

Options
I haven't quite hit my goal but I've lost a good bit of weight. 35 lbs on a small 5'3" frame, puts me about 90% the way to my goal. Enough that I had to replace about 75% of my wardrobe. Except now I'm intimidated by my closet. I feel some days like I've forgotten how to dress myself, or I don't know how to dress this new body. So to that end I'm launching an experiment on my blog to track my outfits and see if I can't find great ones amongst the mundane and outright bad items in my closet.

This has me thinking about clothes and bodies a lot. It can't just be me, right? Tons of you have had great success on here with weight loss. Lots of weight lost means lots of new clothes. You see those make over episodes of TV where someone loses 100+ lbs and then only wears sweats all the time because they feel so weird about their bodies (which I am totally sympathetic too). Is that you? Or have you gone fashion forward with your weight loss? Did you replace a few key items in your closet or all of it? What did you do for transitional clothes? I've been thrifting a bunch and shopping end of season sales. And trying on endless piles of stuff, trying to figure out what my new sizes are.

Tell me your stories!

Replies

• edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Well, for the most part I'm just going to replace what I already have with better fitting versions. What can I say, I'm not quite middle-class guy and not very fashion inclined.

As for transition clothes, haha, My slacks that I wear for work are size 44...I'm supposed to be wearing 38's now. I've realize that all the extra fabric makes up for the lack of a gut and I can still wear them. I just have to make sure they bunch up int he right places to keep myself from looking too stupid.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    SPANDEX! ALL SPANDEX!

tumblr_m33eaoVm7i1r9ze4wo1_500.gif
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    me.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I plan to wear ALL of this:

http://athleta.gap.com/?
  • chaoticxinsane
    Options
    I totally understand that. I've found myself in more MEN'S clothing lately. Not only are men's jeans infinitely easier to shop for (Waist, inseam, DONE, none of that 8-in-this-brand-13-in-that-one BS), but I've never gotten a threatening backhanded "compliment" or groped at a club in my slightly more androgynous wardrobe.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    When you get in good shape you can wear anything you like. Just make sure it puts the lotion on its skin.

tumblr_mkp8e6B0yD1qda3too1_500.gif
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    I haven't replaced any of my wardrobe, but I'd suggest sundresses with belts - show off that new waistline!
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    NOTHING!!!!
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    slim fit shirts with my suit!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I think when i reach my goal I'm going to try and pull off this shirt:

7MABGQ6.jpg
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

7MABGQ6.jpg

I doubt this guy will let you undress him, Matt.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

7MABGQ6.jpg

I doubt this guy will let you undress him, Matt.

:angry:
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    <---- No shirt. They're overrated.
  • gallingers06
    gallingers06 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It seems we have taken the same trip! I too am 5'3" and have lost 35 lbs. My wardrobe has completely been overhauled! I went from a 14/16 to a comfortable 8. I work in an office, so most of my slacks were replaced (minus a few pairs I would not part with when they got too small). But I hit up local consignment shops since I am not at my goal weight and have found some great clothes that I feel good in. From jeans to shirts and blouses, to slacks and dresses (POPPIN TAGS!). As long as you like how you look in the clothes. Good luck and happy dressing!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just hit up my old boxes of clothes from high school (and there's a TON!). I clung on to them for so long hoping that one day I'd be able to wear them again. I finally stopped wishing and made it happen. It feels great to be able to wear them again. Then there was this past weekend when I walked into the mall and managed to spend $180 on new clothes in less than a half hour...sigh, my poor bank account. Shopping is fun again which is great, but I need to be careful with all the spending!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

7MABGQ6.jpg

I think you should try this on for size.

trollface-costume2_zps52269582.jpg
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Anything I want. :)
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a belly ring and a tramp stamp...