Buying Clothes Too Small

Options
Hi!

I'm new here, so don't be too harsh! I'm on asos at the moment, looking at all the dresses and things in the sale, and seen a bright red dress that I really love. The killer - its only in a size too small!

Have you ever bought smaller clothes with the hope you'd fit into them? Is it a good motivation?

NOTE: I'm not buying it for an occasion, and its only £9 - even if I never fit into it, its not money lost!

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    To me, that seems like abusing myself and if that worked, I'd already be skinny.

But hey, your mileage my vary.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Hang it on the wall in your bedroom. Good motivation.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    How "too small" is it? If it's out of the realm of possibility I'd say save your money. If not, go for it. The only thing I would never buy too small in hopes of losing weight is a wedding dress.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    How "too small" is it? If it's out of the realm of possibility I'd say save your money. If not, go for it. The only thing I would never buy too small in hopes of losing weight is a wedding dress.

Right? :laugh:

This time of year is one of my least favorite times on this site. So many brides with that problem. I kinda lose patience after a while.

But a nine pound price sticker is a whole lot different than the sticker on a wedding gown.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine as long as it's not TOO too small. Probably a size or two is fine, but anything more than that I think is setting yourself up for disappointment (in general). You may be able to do it, but I know that for me, when I couldn't get to that particular size by the time I wanted to wear the clothes, I was frustrated and quit working as hard because I thought "what's the point?" The cute top I bought sat in my closet for over a year before I gave up totally and gave it away.

Good luck to you though!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't make it a habit to buy something too small but when shopping with my daughter I blindly bought capris in my size and just figured they would fit. I was wrong and drove myself crazy trying it on every 3rd day. Lol. I made it a rule that I only try them on when the house payment is due. About 2 or 3 months ago, (I forget) I barey got them up. Now each month there is a small improvement and I have my picture taken wearing them.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have a couple different outfits a size or two smaller than I am. Those are my motivation outfits. If you're at all like me, if I have a goal and I can see it, then I work harder to make sure I get to it. I agree with the others, you should hang it up in your room where you can see it, great motivation.

On a side note in relation to one or two other posts, the year I got married I got my wedding dressing in an 18/20. I didn't set out to lose any weight but wanted to tone some areas and I ended up losing over 50 lbs and had to get my dress and a bridesmaid's dress (I was also bridesmaid that year) taken in 3 sizes. So . . . . I guess it really depends on the person and if they think they will eventually fit into the outfit.
  • WickedZoey
    WickedZoey Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think you'll get mixed opinions here. Some will think it's torture, while I think of it as motivation. When I was over 200 lbs I bought a gorgeous shirt that was too, too, too small. I used it as motivation and eventually, I did fit into it.
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't make it a habit to buy something too small but when shopping with my daughter I blindly bought capris in my size and just figured they would fit. I was wrong and drove myself crazy trying it on every 3rd day. Lol. I made it a rule that I only try them on when the house payment is due. About 2 or 3 months ago, (I forget) I barey got them up. Now each month there is a small improvement and I have my picture taken wearing them.

This sounds like a good idea - I wouldn't usually make a habit of it, but since its only £9, and its really pretty, I don't see much harm! And way to go on getting into them!

For those that want to know, I'm around a UK Size 14 (sometimes 12 - but really borderline between the two) and what I want is a Size 10/12 (it says Medium... pfft!) so it would mean going from a 12/14 to a 10/12 - doable. I don't have any particular occasion that I want to wear it for - its just cheap and so pretty!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well, if I find that I'm in between sizes, I tend to go for the smaller size. So I'd say if it's a size or two too small, just go for it :)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Had a whole closet of things that were too small, motivated me.

Looking forward to when I need new clothes now.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    If it's only one size smaller, go for it! I had a few pairs of jeans that were a size too small, so I worked hard and now they fit! It works for me, maybe it will work for you too
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm new here, so don't be too harsh! I'm on asos at the moment, looking at all the dresses and things in the sale, and seen a bright red dress that I really love. The killer - its only in a size too small!

Have you ever bought smaller clothes with the hope you'd fit into them? Is it a good motivation?

NOTE: I'm not buying it for an occasion, and its only £9 - even if I never fit into it, its not money lost!

Yes. I have a smaller dress I bought as motivation. I look at it every day.
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it. If it is like a size or two smaller, it would be great motivation for you to stay on course.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    No. I enjoy buying clothing that fits me in the moment. I'm also I'm not motivated by clothing. If you are, then buy the dress.

I have one awesome cocktail dress in my closet that I bought because it was on sale "just in case". Turns out I drink cocktails in regular clothing. It's been in my closet for 2 years now.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Depends on the item. I would never buy pants (Oops, I see you're in the UK, I mean "trousers") in a size smaller. I don't lose weight proportionately on my lower half, so it would be hard to predict how they would look when they fit. A dress, maybe, but I would still be wary about not being able to properly predict how it will look on, not just whether it will actually fit.

For that price, though, yeah I probably would.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I didn't purposely buy them too small, but I hate to try on clothes at thrift stores, but if the price is good, I'll take the chance and buy them, if they don't quite fit after I've washed them, I'll hold on to them. Several items not only moved to the fit category, but eventually moved on to the too big category and then to the donation pile. The circle of life.

Tiny NSV, a few weeks ago I was telling my gramma how I had to buy some new t-shirts from Old Navy (I wear them under suits) because the ones I bought last year (XXL) were too big and I had to buy L this time. She said why didn't you just buy medium since the large will be too big soon. Gotta love Gramma.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    I think you'll get mixed opinions here. Some will think it's torture, while I think of it as motivation. When I was over 200 lbs I bought a gorgeous shirt that was too, too, too small. I used it as motivation and eventually, I did fit into it.

I just thought someone should tell you that is AWESOME!!!:happy:
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I woudl buy too small - but I have never thrown my smaller clothes out - and am adamant I will get back into them!
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's only 9 quid, go for it.

I have a 'motivation dress' it's a lovely little white strapless number, the kind you'd wear at the end of a holiday when you have your tan.

I bought it for my honeymoon in 2011, it didn't fit by the time that came round, it hasn't fit me since. I put in on every couple of weeks. I am telling myself that I WILL get that zip up and I WILL look hot in that dress and I WILL wear it on my next holiday!
    The zip goes up a tiny bit more every time I put it on and it keeps me going.