calories perday

Options
I have been on a 1200 calorie diet since January and have lose 35 pounds so far. When My weight lost stilled I joined a gym and met with a nutritionist and trainer. Both told me I need to eat 1800 calories a day. I'm terrified as with 1200 a day I'm not losing, what happens if I add an extra 600 a day. Has anyone been successful y eating more clories?

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you have 87 lbs to lose then 1200 cal is definetly not enough calories for you.. You'll hear a lot of stuff about starvation mode, but the reality is, if your body is not getting enough calories, the metabolism will slow down and weight loss will be slow or stagnant. If your body gets enough calories, but still less than it uses, then you will have successful weight loss. Dietiticians are extremely well trained in their field and that's what they are there for, to give sound and healthy advice adout nutrition and nutrition pertaining to weight loss. Try it and I think you will be pleasantly suprised with the results
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories, including my exercise calories I eat about 1900 a day and ive really been losing since eating more.
  • jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I eat 1600 daily and I lose 1-2 pounds per week and some weeks I only workout once or twice!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Search starvation mode. I'm not an expert about any of this but on this site I have read that sometimes you have to increase your calorie intake to push yourself over the hump and you will start losing again certainly if you joined a gym and are working out you will need to increase your calorie intake with some inrease in protein. Please validate this with your trainers as I don't know nothing... And I can prove it.:tongue:
  • smae1980
    Options
    Keep in mind that the larger you are the more calories you require (even to lose weight) and the smaller you get the less calories you will require. Just don't forget to reset your goals when you check in a weight loss
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hello There...............I am also on a 1200 calorie plan and when I exercise, I eat back as many of those cals as I can. I have lost 26 lbs since the end of February. Don't be afraid....give it a whirl and if it does not work, just go back to what you know....good luck.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Excellent point! If it does not work you can always change it up again. Finding what works for you is a process. I think it is true though, you gotta eat to fuel your body and your lean muscle mass, especially if you are working out.
  • rvanderpool3
    rvanderpool3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I tried the same thing. I was eating about 1200 calories a day for 3 or so weeks. I lost about 7 pounds the first week and stopped losing after that. I think the point is, losing weight is not a race. There is no need to come in several hundred calories below your goal or even meet your goal every single day. This is a lifestyle change and the major changes you have made will eventually pay off.

If you are disciplined and exercise like you should, have a treat every so often. I try to stick at or just above my calorie goal on a daily basis. Especially if I have been exercising. You need to feed the furnace to keep burning the fuel in your body. I know there have been weeks where I have just busted my butt and got nowhere(even gained weight). Even during those times, I was still toning muscle, losing fat, etc... it just was not being reflected on the scale.
  • smae1980
    Options
    I tried the same thing. I was eating about 1200 calories a day for 3 or so weeks. I lost about 7 pounds the first week and stopped losing after that. I think the point is, losing weight is not a race. There is no need to come in several hundred calories below your goal or even meet your goal every single day. This is a lifestyle change and the major changes you have made will eventually pay off.

If you are disciplined and exercise like you should, have a treat every so often. I try to stick at or just above my calorie goal on a daily basis. Especially if I have been exercising. You need to feed the furnace to keep burning the fuel in your body. I know there have been weeks where I have just busted my butt and got nowhere(even gained weight). Even during those times, I was still toning muscle, losing fat, etc... it just was not being reflected on the scale.

Great mindset and point of view!!!
  • nanmosta1
    nanmosta1 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.