Heavy lifting and weight gain, help !

Options
Really not happy that my weight keeps creeping up every since I increased my calories to 2000. Especially now that I will be running less since I am done training for my half marathon. Still doing Stronglifts now (currently on week 5/workout 15 tomorrow). Thoughts on what could be wrong?

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The purpose of increasing your calories when heavy lifting is to provide a calorie surplus so you can actually build muscle. For the most part, so called "lean gains" is crap. When you gain muscle (which will of course increase weight) you also gain some fat. That is perfectly normal and appropriate. And in fact may result in smaller sizes at heavier weights. You then hit a point where you want to strip fat, so you decrease calories a bit while still lifting to maintain muscle.

But all in all, my suggestion is to throw out your scale and use a measuring tape instead. Who cares what the number on that scale is if you are fitting in the clothes you want to wear and you look good nekkid.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at 2000 cals for? Also...are you very accurate with your weighing/measuring?

Your muscles are going to retain water for a bit from the heavy lifting. Weeks and weeks sometimes. Also...if you were at quite a large deficit for a while and are moving to less of a deficit, your body just might be holding onto extra water...in that case, it's temporary. I'd give it more time.