Does lifting weights do anything at a caloric deficit?

Options
2»

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I believe in magic.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL1ZV88CniOLJAnxs-1G7_pWkjO-Z9clmeJMLQB8bx37ife_HP
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I know there are mixed opinions on this, but I lifted fairly heavy on a calorie deficit (now I am closer to maintenance than deficit but still on the lower end) and I had no trouble gaining muscle. My muscle is not BULKY but it is definitely there. I tried to show someone something on the inside of my wrist the other day and they all said HOLY CRAP because the way I was holding my arm made my bicep protrude and show off the toned-ness (lol) that I've gained over the past months. My legs have also shown huge differences. So regardless of what people may say, I have gained lean muscle mass while eating at a deficit. I do try to eat a substantial amount of protein though so that probably helps.

You can't produce new muscle out of nothingness. You need a calorie surplus. How can you build new tissue with nothing? You've cut your body fat, it reveals the muscle. As a woman your highly up against it to naturally build muscle as it is, without trying to do it whilst on a deficit.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for body weight exercises , go to nerdfitness.com

You will find a circuit there for beginners and intermediate .

I think you will like it alot , it doesnt take long to do , maybe 25mins and you will hit all your muscle groups so no imbalance .

Good luck !

Thanks for posting this... I like the beginner circuit workout, definitely going to be trying this coupled w/ or even replacing my weight days at the gym. The only reason I keep my gym membership is for rainy days and the winter, otherwise I'd cancel it!
  • sheep_dog
    sheep_dog Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know there are mixed opinions on this, but I lifted fairly heavy on a calorie deficit (now I am closer to maintenance than deficit but still on the lower end) and I had no trouble gaining muscle. My muscle is not BULKY but it is definitely there. I tried to show someone something on the inside of my wrist the other day and they all said HOLY CRAP because the way I was holding my arm made my bicep protrude and show off the toned-ness (lol) that I've gained over the past months. My legs have also shown huge differences. So regardless of what people may say, I have gained lean muscle mass while eating at a deficit. I do try to eat a substantial amount of protein though so that probably helps.

You can't produce new muscle out of nothingness. You need a calorie surplus. How can you build new tissue with nothing? You've cut your body fat, it reveals the muscle. As a woman your highly up against it to naturally build muscle as it is, without trying to do it whilst on a deficit.

Well according to bodybuilding.com, you don't produce new muscle out of nothingness, and that not all your calories have to come in from your mouth - they can come from storage you have. See the link I posted above
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    are you really at a deficit in the middle of the day? Wouldnt you be at a deficit at the end of the day?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    1. Help preserve muscle
    2. Lead to strength gains
    3. Increase RMR
    4. Elevate heart rate (although likely not as much as pure cardio) leading to larger calorie deficit
    5. Make you feel like a bad-@$$
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    are you really at a deficit in the middle of the day? Wouldnt you be at a deficit at the end of the day?
    is this a serious post or
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Well according to bodybuilding.com, you don't produce new muscle out of nothingness, and that not all your calories have to come in from your mouth - they can come from storage you have. See the link I posted above

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean you have to take it as gospel. I know what works for me, thats all I know. I am past trying to advise people on here (former lifetime) lol. It's like a hamster wheel that goes round and round and round. Just get in the gym and lift, eat well, see if it works. If it doesn't change it up. Simplez
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It seems obvious you don't actually have a question... you have it all figured out. So cheers. :flowerforyou:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It helps to retain lean mass.....
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Resistance training, while in a calorie deficit, will improve strength, retain lean body mass, strengthen bones and improve cardio vascular health. The majority of the weight you lose will be body fat. This produces the body that most people are looking for.

Preach on playa!!!!!!! ^^^ I agree!!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    so what do you suggest I do if I want to lose my weight and body fat to get back down to 155, but also get definition which you say is gaining muscle? do I eat at a deficit for losing the fat, or at a caloric surplus for gaining the muscle? This is what annoys me, I don't understand how this can work. Please suggest to me your ideas for my goals.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. This question has pretty much already been answered but since you directed this towards me I'll give you my $.02. It's obvious you know how to lose the weight, the key is to keep it off and to incorporate weightlifting into your workout regime e.g. Full Body Workout x3/week. As long as your calorie deficit isn't ridiculous (below 1200 kcal) then keep eating as you are. By incorporating lifting, you will retain the muscle you have, and will probably experience what's called "newbie" gains. You'll get the "look" that you desire. It does take time. As women, it is very hard to gain muscle but by keeping consistent with your lifting and diet, you'll get there. Just a few benefits of weightlifting are:

Improved strength
    Improved metabolism
    Stronger bones, tendons, and ligaments
    Calorie Burn (yes, you do burn calories when lifting weights)

People make it harder than it is. Fat loss=calorie deficit Muscle gain=heavy lifting
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    so what do you suggest I do if I want to lose my weight and body fat to get back down to 155, but also get definition which you say is gaining muscle? do I eat at a deficit for losing the fat, or at a caloric surplus for gaining the muscle? This is what annoys me, I don't understand how this can work. Please suggest to me your ideas for my goals.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. This question has pretty much already been answered but since you directed this towards me I'll give you my $.02. It's obvious you know how to lose the weight, the key is to keep it off and to incorporate weightlifting into your workout regime e.g. Full Body Workout x3/week. As long as your calorie deficit isn't ridiculous (below 1200 kcal) then keep eating as you are. By incorporating lifting, you will retain the muscle you have, and will probably experience what's called "newbie" gains. You'll get the "look" that you desire. It does take time. As women, it is very hard to gain muscle but by keeping consistent with your lifting and diet, you'll get there. Just a few benefits of weightlifting are:

Improved strength
    Improved metabolism
    Stronger bones, tendons, and ligaments
    Calorie Burn (yes, you do burn calories when lifting weights)

People make it harder than it is. Fat loss=calorie deficit Muscle gain=heavy lifting

I want to add that the improved metabolism is a big bonus for me. Get stronger, use your muscles, move more - it happens naturally as you get fitter and stronger, you will burn more. When I was a really active teenager , I was skinny , too skinny, but I always moved. As I am getting stronger, eating more, my metabolism is getting closer to what it was a 17. I am 32. I love food, and love being able to eat almost whatever I want. Almost, because Healthy food is better lol.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've been heavy lifting at a deficit for about 7 months now. Granted...I take maintenance weeks here and there, but I've never eaten in a surplus in over a year now. I've gained a ton of strength, maintained my LBM and lost body fat. All while feeling totally strong, awesome and just plain bad *kitten*.

^^ And she IS a badass! I totally agree with her too. I haven't eaten at a general surplus and have made huge changes in my body. Fat has gone, the muscles that I actively work at preserving and getting stronger are showing through more than ever and I love how I feel, I am not bulky (pics in profile) but love the muscle that I do have!