How much do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm a couponer so I spend very little as I stock up on our favorites when they are on sale.

I hardly every spend over $50 a week.

I do not buy meat every week but when I do buy it I stock up on it when it is on bogo and it last me and my hubby for quiet sometime.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I spend maybe $200-$300 a month for food. Fresh fruit and veg, frozen veg, morningstar veggie burgers, he buy chicken, beef etc. We freeze a lot of stuff, and look for buy one get one deals a lot.
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    at least £120 ($240?) a week for hubby and i and we dont drink or smoke either and dont buy crisps or chocolate/sweets/fizzy drinks.....i am a vegetarian and hubby quite fussy-so make separate meals for us....he does eat quorn mince in spag bolognaise (if i dont tell him its not meat and he actually prefers it to real mince!).but very little veg!
    So i tend to buy frozen chicken fillets, defrost them and make him batches of homemade curries/sweet and sour/lemon chicken/pizzas and freeze them.
    I usually buy frozen quorn products for myself.
    i agree that is definitely more expensive in the uk to buy fresh produce- our nearest Lidl is £25 miles away and Aldi £45...so its usually local Tesco.
    I make my own soups, bread (breadmaker-yummy!) and smoothies-i make bulk and freeze my soups. I use frozen fruit/veg for my smoothies as was wasting so much fresh produce. I also make my own popcorn and add my own flavouring so i know exactly what i am eating!:happy:
  • moodyshannon15
    moodyshannon15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We spend around $500 a month...I buy mostly healthy options. However my 20 year old son wont eat them so I must buy junk he will eat. He was in a terrible accident in October of last year. He was ran over by a truck, he suffered massive head trauma it has affected his personality somewhat. So he only eats certain things now..no veggies lol.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Around 200 to 250 for a family of five, and the same now with two extra people although the food prep is much more. Have discovered can spend 90. but had to use some pre-packaged things like bear creek soup for a meal. I am always looking for ways to decrease and eat healthy. We are starting a garden this spring.
  • pwicke
    pwicke Posts: 29
    Options
    ummm where does everyone live?

Over $200 per week just to feed me and my wife. I'm in Philadelphia.

me too. I spend a soild $200-250 on my family of 4. We all have food allergies and don't eat out too much.

Its well over $1K a month when factoring it all in.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    It is just me and my fiance. I would say we spend roughly $200 altogether every month on groceries.
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I go to the Store once a week (for a family of 3) and usually spend about $100-$150 each time
    Im in Illinois
    But that does also include non food items as well
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    $300-$400 a month for my husband and I.. I shop every two weeks, that includes household items, beer & wine. :) I shop for my low carb diet & my husbands "I eat whatever I want" diet.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options

I live in Calgary. Alberta, Canada.. There are a ton of "ethnic/asian" neighborhood supermarkets as well as 3 chain big box stores within walking distance. So I shop around A LOT but it's worth it. I agree that food is very cheap where I live though, compared to say Nova scotai where the price of food was about double what I pay here.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Over $200 per week just to feed me and my wife. I'm in Philadelphia.

Yah, I live on an island, so it's $250 a week for me, hubby and 2 growing girls. I spend millions on yogurt and produce. That's only $9 a day. We never eat out, so that covers every single meal for everyone.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    for a single person... tooooooo much!! :sick:
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I spend 309 each month on groceries. We also spend about 300 each month on "entertainment", which includes eating out, alcohol, and any type of outing or event, so it's hard to say how much is just for food.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    We do spend more probably $500 a month. However, I dont consider it blowing money away. We have to eat so where do we want to spend that money. this is my thought on why it seems to cost more. First you are buying more groceries than before. Second you are spending less going out to eat which once again will drive up your apparent grocery costs. Last, if you normally spend $30-$40 going out to eat on one meal in the past I bet you are going out to eat less now so that $30-40 that you wouldnt have noticed because it was spent at a restaurant is now being used at a grocery store. Try this exercise go look at your bank account from 6 months ago add up how much you spent on going out to eat, fast foods, extras like coffee, ice cream, and your grocery bill look at all food and beverages. I bet if you look at the raw numbers it is very close to what you were spending it's just now most of it is going to groceries now instead of all those little extras we forgot about when we werent taking care of our bodies
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I spend $300 per month for two adults. I shop at a more expensive grocery store because I value the quality of their produce.

$300/2 = $150/month/person
    $150/30 = $5/day/person

In addition to considering your monthly budget allocation for food, do a meal-by-meal breakdown to validate that the total end-of-month amount is really justified.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    We spend about $800 a month. Family of 4 including 2 preteens eating me out of house and home!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My money map thing says I spend an average of 6% of my income on food.

I wonder if that's high or not?

I'd say around $300 per month for 2..although that will go up as I just switched to organic.

(my son ate an entire crock pot full of chili last night for dinner.. just shoot me now.. LOL)

I live in Colorado
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Budget is $250 ($100 one week, $50 all other weeks) per month. This includes toilet paper, cat food, diapers, cat litter, etc.

Currently a family of 3 (one guy, one pregnant gal, one 3-1/2 year old, and four cats).

Bountiful Baskets + Gardening + pressure cooker & deep freezer = lots of healthy fruits & veggies. Beans are cheap and really good for you. Healthy does not have to be expensive.

edit to add: Live on the top of the Olympic Peninsula in western Washington.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I live in Austin, Texas and we budget about $600/month for groceries ($300 twice a month). But I have made it my mission to stay WAY under budget so I tend to not go over $250/twice a month; so $500/month. This includes non food products such as hair and body products etc.

This is for 2 adults, 2 children under 5 and a medium size dog. I shop at the local H-E-B with as many coupons as possible, and buying the generic "H-E-B" brand items.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    About $200 per week give or take for a family of 4 (me, husband, 6 year old, 1 year old)

BUT, we hardly ever eat out. We make all our meals at home.