What to expect and how to train for a half marathon

Options
I am a year out. I'm a crappy runner, but I'm getting there. I needed a goal. A big one. That's why I signed up for one so far away.

I have some running shoes, I did a couple 5ks...What else is there besides building up my speed, stamina, etc.

I saw a thread about gels...what and who and huh?

Did I get myself in a pickle here? What else is there to know about running a half?

Edit...I do have the site for Hal Higdon...so I have the 20-week training plan in my future forecast. Just curious about any other stuff. Like...gels...

Replies

• squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half marathon next month, so I'm no expert. But I've been running for good while so here goes....

First, it depends on your running history from the last few months up to now, but I'd probably go with using the next 6 months to establish a nice solid base of X miles per week. Then find a program you like (Hal Hidgon, Jeff Galloway, etc.) and stick with it.

I wouldn't worry too much about aids such as gels at this moment in time. One of my friends who does half marathons doesn't use them, simply because the distance isn't long enough for her to need them. But that's going to vary with each individual, and you'll be able to suss out those issues when you start doing looooong runs.

As far as building up your speed and stamina: unless you have a target time in your sights, I wouldn't worry about speed. Long runs will build your endurance. Your program will probably have some tempo and/or hill work built into it, too, and these are good things for stamina and strength.

The last thing I'd do is work in some strength training. Not just your upper body, either; make sure you work those legs. You don't need a gym; you can find a ton of bodyweight strength exercise routines online.

Congratulations on setting this goal for yourself! Enjoy the journey.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! That helps alot! I'm stoked about it...but catch myself sometimes wondering what I got myself into. :laugh:
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used a combo of the Hal Higdon and the Jeff Galloway plan for my training (for both my half and full marathons) http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

I am not fast - it takes me 2:45 to do a half and 5:50 to do a full (I've only done one full).

So let's see - did you get a gait analysis for your shoes or did you just pick a pair that felt good? You really need to go to a running store and have an analysis done so that you have the proper shoe, if you haven't already.

Gels/Gus/Chomps - You'll really just need to do trial and error on what works for you. During a long (longer than 4 miles) training run or a race, I use Gu Chomps https://guenergy.com/store/chewables.html/ . I'll eat 1-2 at 3 miles and then 1 every mile after that. Again, this is a trial and error thing, you could need more than 1 per mile. Sometimes, farther into the race, I'll eat 2. I also like PowerBar brand gels http://us.powerbar.com/Products/powergel-vanilla because they have a thinner consistency than Gu brand. I usually stick to the chomps during a half marathon - maybe one gel near mile 10 to give me an extra boost. I just like the chomps better.

Again, it's really personal pref as to what fuel you like.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more with what was posted by squirell79. I will be honest and I did way more cross training then what was recommended, but follow the plan, build up endurance and set a goal to simply finish. Don't worry about pace/speed as much right now except pay attention to the long SLOW run. I sucked at that and really wish I would have slowed down more on my training runs.

Definitely add in strength training and run on a variety of surfaces and be sure to include tougher runs (ie. hillier) as you get closer. That saved me on the 1/2 I did last weekend. We hadn't trained on quite as hilly, but close and we had an easier time than others who hadn't.

As far as the gels, when you get about 6 weeks out, start experimenting with them and see how they help.

Lastly, I am not a huge yoga person, but I did incorporate some Body Flow which is yoga/Tai Chi/pilates based once a week and I felt much better doing that after a long run.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, my training plan has been a hybrid as well. It's a mixture of Hal Hidgon, a plan from SHAPE magazine, and my husband's input.

And I second the "go to a running store" idea--it is worth every penny.

EDIT: This is more for when you get to the actual training plan segment of your training......I LOVE spreadsheets, and my plan is in a giant file, and therefore I tend to get hung up on "What does the spreadsheet say I have to do today?" This is not always a good thing. Taking a rest day -- or a few rest days -- even when they are not scheduled, is something I've learned to do the hard way. As you ramp up your training, be sure to listen to your body. It'll tell you what it needs.
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    Here's something else to think about. If you aren't trying to be competitive, you might want to look into Jeff Galloway's walk/running program.You can actually have FASTER TIMES by walking some of the race. The idea is that you are more refreshed at the end of the race than if you ran the whole way. Check it out at JeffGalloway.com
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

This! I have the app on my phone and have been using it...

...just not as much as I should have been. :grumble:

With my first half coming up quickly, I fully realize I may fall short of my goal which is to run the whole thing (currently, my longest run is 7 miles). So, I've already registered for my "redemption" half later in the year. :drinker:

I don't think I could add any more helpful advice to what's already been given - so - good luck!
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 3 years and training for my first half marathon now. I am using hal higdon novice 2 and really like it. Its a lot more dedication to running than i anticipated though and I spend a lot of time mentally preparing for the long run. Its more intense in a mental aspect (for me anyway) than I thought it would be. I don't do gels or anything manufactured. Good ol coconut water & chia seeds for me right around the half way mark. I have a hydration belt that has 4 4 oz bottles on it, 3 I fill with water and 1 with the chia/coconut combo and some salt. Good luck!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything in a race you haven't done on a practice run. I don't eat/drink during my runs, so when I run a half, I don't do that either. No water or gatorade, no gels. That's not to say you can't, but they're definitely not nesessary,
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Check out Jeff Galloway's program and see if there's a training group in your area. I completed 2 halfs last summer while pregnant using his run-walk-run method. All I carried with me was my camel back, first aid kit, and a larabar :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything in a race you haven't done on a practice run. I don't eat/drink during my runs, so when I run a half, I don't do that either. No water or gatorade, no gels. That's not to say you can't, but they're definitely not nesessary,

This advice along with the advice of just putting in a lot of miles as a base. Just plain vanilla miles. Nothing special, no hills, no intervals. You can get to those eventually when you get closer to the race. For now just wear those shoes out and stay injury free.

Do you need gels? I did 13 miles without any but I think I prefer using them. I took two last week. One at around 4.5 miles and one around 9. I think it makes a difference mentally if nothing else. Some of these people probably know a lot more than me since I haven't done an actual half as a race yet but here's my 14 mile practice run last week.

http://tinyurl.com/cbx4gjh
    (Elevation was missing for some odd reason?)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Besides restating all of the good advice that's already been given, I want to add that I also do not use any GUs, gels or anything for half marathon distance runs. However, I am training for a full and decided to give them a try. They do not agree with my stomach, so I use good old fashioned gummies or chewy candy (Welch's fruit chews, gummie bears and jelly beans). They pretty much do the same thing. I only use them on runs over 15 miles. You really need to experiment in advance and find out what works for you. But don't feel obligated just because you read that you should. I think the sports nutrition market is kind of a racket anyway. People ran long distances for years using regular old candy or nothing at all.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Everything that's been stated is great advice. I'm running my 2nd 1/2 in 4 weeks. I will say a couple of things from personal perspective. Don't be too attached to a plan. Life freaking happens and sometimes you can't go exactly according to plan. Don't stress about it, just move on. Trying to make up miles is not recommended just go forth and listen to your body. I do use sport jelly beans in the middle of long runs, 9+ miles, bc I'm hypoglycemic and will not sustain proper blood sugars. Gels are gross to me, but like everyone said its individual preference if you need anything. Also properly fuel yourself during training, your body will thank you and perform better.
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    But don't feel obligated just because you read that you should. I think the sports nutrition market is kind of a racket anyway. People ran long distances for years using regular old candy or nothing at all.

I should have said this too - I know several people that use jelly beans. I've tried lots of different things, and even if it is all mental (half of it is I'm sure), I know what works for me. Plus like a previous post, I'm hypoglycemic and must replenish on runs. You have to find exactly what works for you.

:)

Also - In my half marathons I steered clear of the gatorade stops because that's not something I used during my training. Foolishly, because I forgot to fuel, before a swim/bike brick in training for a triathalon, I stopped at the gas station and grabbed a bottle of gatorade. I wanted to hurl the entire bike training ride. Thank goodness I learned this (the hard way) during a training ride and not the race. Lesson - practice with fueling as well before the big day.

For my marathon, I drank gatorade for several weeks building up to my marathon to make sure that my stomach was going to handle it okay. I knew I'd want to drink some gatorade along that route because it was so long and I was going to be losing a lot of salt and other things that gatorade provides.
  • tzur21
    tzur21 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thats great! I have run about 8 halfs and two fulls. I am a slow runner, but I get there (about 10-11 minute mile on my long runs). You dont need gel for a half. I would see what the race you signed up for is providing on the course. Hopefully they have Gatorade, b/c water alone is not enough. If they don't offer Gatorade you may need to carry some. While training I would ask my sister to "spa her mailbox". She would put tissues and Gatorade in her mailbox. I would run there and back. Good Luck!!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    2 more things LOL:
    1) Definitely don't get hung up on the plan. Completely agree. Weather, sicknesses and such get in the way and you simply make it up if you can. My entire group did a 13 mile run and I didn't. Oh well! It's life, so just train the best you can.
    2) If you can, find a training buddy. Not only is it good motivation, it's great to have someone to run those long runs with!
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half marathon next month, so I'm no expert. But I've been running for good while so here goes....

First, it depends on your running history from the last few months up to now, but I'd probably go with using the next 6 months to establish a nice solid base of X miles per week. Then find a program you like (Hal Hidgon, Jeff Galloway, etc.) and stick with it.

I wouldn't worry too much about aids such as gels at this moment in time. One of my friends who does half marathons doesn't use them, simply because the distance isn't long enough for her to need them. But that's going to vary with each individual, and you'll be able to suss out those issues when you start doing looooong runs.

As far as building up your speed and stamina: unless you have a target time in your sights, I wouldn't worry about speed. Long runs will build your endurance. Your program will probably have some tempo and/or hill work built into it, too, and these are good things for stamina and strength.

The last thing I'd do is work in some strength training. Not just your upper body, either; make sure you work those legs. You don't need a gym; you can find a ton of bodyweight strength exercise routines online.

Congratulations on setting this goal for yourself! Enjoy the journey.

Great advice!
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have never run a half marathon, but I have speed walked one, and I walked a 60 mile walk which is definately an endurance event. This is what I learned:
    Don't eat/drink/wear anything during your event that you haven't broken in while training. My 60 mile event had a different type of electrolyte drink than what I had been using and it caused some digestive issues. I really like using Dr Shulze Superfood bars, kind of a fig newton center type flavor and texture. They are full of healthy stuff, nothing artificial and they are loaded with b vitamins to give you energy.
    Test all of your clothes out, socks, underwear everything, it makes a big difference!
    Definately cross train, pick at least one day a week to do bicycling, swimming, etc, anything but running! Besides my training sessions I did lots of planks, wall squats and back exercises. You'll want to incorporate these daily if you can. A strong core makes a huge difference.
    Stretch and try Yoga it will help keep you injury free.
    Listen to your body and slow down if you need to, you don't want to injure yourself. I pushed myself to do 25 miles in one day for a cancer event, when previously I had only done about 16 comfortably, but I strained my calf muscle where I couldn't walk and it took me months to heel. I had to do my 60 mile event at a much slower pace.
    I have no experience with the training plans mentioned by other posters, I only know I did one long session per week say 9 miles followed by a longer session say 13 miles the next day, pushing my mileage up each week, with two shorter sessions during the week say 3-5 miles at a faster pace. Again each week going a little farther/longer. Make sure to have rest days. Train on a variety of surfaces. I trained mostly on asphalt, blacktop, dirt and gravel but my event was mostly concrete and I got terrible blisters. Definately train on hills, due to my area I had to train on hills and during my event I could power up those faster than my pace on flat ground.
    Try out different products for your feet, example glide sticks, or vaseline, powder, etc until you find something that works well for keeping them comfortable and blister free. Also try different products like 2nd skin, moleskin,tape, wraps etc to see what works best for you. During my event I used an untested tape and I had an allergic reaction fueled by the stress on my feet that made them swell and break out, in addition to the blisters, my feet blew up when I took my shoes off.
    Most importantly, enjoy the process. Focus on how strong you feel and they pride that comes with each new accomplishment. Your mindset is the most important thing to your success. Train to banish negative thinking, focus on the positive. Keep telling yourself what you can do and don't worry about what you can't.
    Hope my experience helps!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm also a slow runner, but I have completed 9 half marathons and will be doing my 10th in a little over a week... and I've only been running for 4 years.

I agree with the posts that you should find a training plan that works for you (I've modified the Jeff Galloway run/walk to fit my me and my running schedule), but be willing to be flexible and figure out how to make it work for you and your life/lifestyle.

As for the eat/don't eat during a run... My first couple of races I didn't eat and was tired and rundown by mile 10. A friend (who was an active runner/marathoner) finally convinced me to try eat at the one hour point in our long runs. Made a huge difference for me. I then experimented with gels/gu/shot blocks/ etc to find out what I liked, what worked for me and what didn't. Took a lot of trial and error, but I found that if I have a gel (prefer vanilla clif gel) an hour into the run and then have a shot block or jelly belly sport beans every 15 to 20 minutes after that, then I have the energy to finish the race. I'm also prone to dehydration, so I always carry plenty of water with me during training run and during races hit all the water stations. Again, trial and error to find out what works and doesn't work... so don't be afraid to experiment during your training runs. That's one of the reason we do it!

And some of the best advice I've been given... never run a race in anything "new"... shoes are obvious, but don't run in new short, shirts, undergarments, etc. Also, if you have a peice of clothing bothering you at the beginning of the race, take care of the problem ASAP because if something is slightly bothersome at mile 1, will be a major problem by mile 8!