Quinoa, 1/4C calories???

Options
Angimom
Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
I have recently discovered Quinoa with all of natural goodness, however, I am really confused about the calorie count, is it 1/4C prepared Quinoa 170calories, or non prepared? 170 calories for 1/4c is alot, not sure all the natural goodness justifies this amount of calories.

Replies

• brighteyes124
    brighteyes124 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I believe it's 1/4 cup uncooked, which would make about 1/2-3/4 cup cooked, depending on the amount of liquid you used. Hope that helps!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I believe it's 1/4 cup uncooked, which would make about 1/2-3/4 cup cooked, depending on the amount of liquid you used. Hope that helps!
    this. usually on pastas and grains and such its for uncooked, unless it says "prepared" next to the calorie count.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup dry is a serving size...170 calories sounds about right. It's a grain..grains are calorie dense and filling. Excellent nutritional value though...much more so than say, white rice with just about the same calorie count.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's usually about ~160 calories for 1/4 cup DRY. It bulks up to about 3x its size once cooked, so that means it's about 3/4 of a cup cooked for ~160 calories. It's MUCH more accurate to measure dry. You are right, it's pretty calorie dense. I rotate quinoa and oatmeal for my breakfast.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    its dry (uncooked)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes, rice, quinoa, grits, etc are usually 1/4 cup dry serving size. Cooked, they equal approx 3/4 cup to 1 cup. Test it by making just a 1/4 cup dry serving and measure the end results. :drinker:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup dry is a serving size...170 calories sounds about right. It's a grain..grains are calorie dense and filling. Excellent nutritional value though...much more so than say, white rice with just about the same calorie count.

I heard that quinoa is a seed, aka a "faux grain". Either way, yes it's calorie dense, but it could be worse. Besides, it's a great base to use for steamed veggies or salsa. Quite filling and delicious. :)
  • Angimom
    Options
    Thanks Everyone, it really does help. I will be happily eating Quinoa now.
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i just tried quinoa for the first time tonight-made quinoa pancakes with maple syrup...they were yummy!:love:
  • Angimom
    Options
    i just tried quinoa for the first time tonight-made quinoa pancakes with maple syrup...they were yummy!:love:

Can I have the recipe? That sounds super yummy!
  • jmc0806
    Options
    Quinoa stuffed peppers are great too. I finally made some this past weekend.

Sorry if it's huge this is from my phone

photo_zpsf93db6f9.jpg
  • Angimom
    Options
    Yummmmy! those look good too! Recipe please!
  • jmc0806
    Options
    I didn't follow the directions completely. I cook my quinoa in a rice cooker. I made it with red and white quinoa mixed and added sautéed onions, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes and black beans for my mix.

here is the recipe I based it off of though:

Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients
    - 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
    - 4 large red or yellow bell peppers
    - 1 tablespoon olive oil
    - 1 onion, chopped
    - 3 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
    - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
    - 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
    - 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    - 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
    - 14 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
    - 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped, or 1 tsp dried
    - 1/4 teaspoon salt
    - 1/4 teaspoon black ground pepper
    - 2 cups marinara sauce, for serving

Preparation
    ∙Preheat oven to 350°F.
    ∙In a small saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear. Stir the quinoa into the boiling water, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
    ∙Meanwhile, use a sharp paring knife to cut out the core from the peppers. Pull out any seeds and rinse the peppers inside and out. Place them cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high power until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
    ∙In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and crushed red pepper, if using. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 8 minutes.
    ∙Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes, oregano, and salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and remove the pan from the heat.
    ∙Place the peppers cut side up in a medium roasting pan. Spoon the filling into the peppers and fill the pan with water 1/2 inch deep. Bake until the peppers are tender and the top of the filling is lightly browned and crunchy, about 30 minutes.
    ∙Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the marinara over low heat. When the peppers are cooked, place one on each of four plates. Spoon the sauce alongside or on top and serve.
    Makes 4 servings.

Prep Time: 5 mins
    Cook Time: 1 hr
    Total Time: 1 hr 5 mins

Nutrition Facts
    Number of Servings: 4
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 297.9
    Total Fat: 7.9 g
    Sodium: 563.9 mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 49.1 g
    Protein: 9.7 g
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Quinoa pancakes; 1 cup cooked quinoa, 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 2 tspoons baking powder, 1/2 tspoon salt, 1 large egg and 1 egg white, 1 tablespoon melted light margarine, 1/4 cup skimmed milk, 2 tablespoons maple syrup- mix all together until thick batter- into pan with light oil sprayed on it and cook until bubbles appear...turn and cook other side (obviously lol!)...enjoy! :love:
  • Angimom
    Options
    Thanks! Both recipes sound great!