Eating healthy costs

Options
Although I can maintain my diet pretty well atm, I have been noticing that eating healthy comes with a very heavy price tag here in England. Prices of good food is nearly trough the roof whilst junk food is dirt cheap... And they wonder why the UK is having so many people who struggle with obesity!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy organic, monk picked, special foods to be healthy. Whole grains, lean meat, eggs, frozen veggies and fruit are all equally nutritious and don't cost a lot.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Is it too rainy there to grow a garden? I have never been there just going by what I hear all the time about the non stop rain lol I hate buying frozen veggies I dont know why.....but I have started buying them more doing half fresh have frozen,Same with fruit.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    We actually spend less when we're focusing on healthy eating compared to regular shopping. But it does take a bit more time and planning. There's actually quite a few healthy options that are cheaper than the less healthy ones, you just need to take the time to find them.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Prepacked foods marketed as healthy are expensive...I don't think foods that already are healthy like beans and veggies are that expensive...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Eating Healthy is expensive. This is a myth.

4 Quarter Pounder with cheese meals = +/- $28

I can make the same 4 meals at home with healthier options for about $6
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    But if you want those burgers to be healthy you have to pay more for leaner hamburger, better buns and good veggies! Lean hamburger in Illinois is about $6.00 lb.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    this is my thought on why it seems to cost more. First you are buying more groceries than before. Second you are spending less going out to eat which once again will drive up your apparent grocery costs. Last, if you normally spend $30-$40 going out to eat on one meal in the past I bet you are going out to eat less now so that $30-40 that you wouldnt have noticed because it was spent at a restaurant is now being used at a grocery store. Try this exercise go look at your bank account from 6 months ago add up how much you spent on going out to eat, fast foods, extras like coffee, ice cream, and your grocery bill look at all food and beverages. I bet if you look at the raw numbers it is very close to what you were spending it's just now most of it is going to groceries now instead of all those little extras we forgot about when we werent taking care of our bodies.
  • sullus
    Options
    this is my thought on why it seems to cost more. First you are buying more groceries than before. Second you are spending less going out to eat which once again will drive up your apparent grocery costs. Last, if you normally spend $30-$40 going out to eat on one meal in the past I bet you are going out to eat less now so that $30-40 that you wouldnt have noticed because it was spent at a restaurant is now being used at a grocery store. Try this exercise go look at your bank account from 6 months ago add up how much you spent on going out to eat, fast foods, extras like coffee, ice cream, and your grocery bill. I bet if you look at the raw numbers it is very close to what you were spending it's just now most of it is going to groceries now instead of all those little extras we forgot about when we werent taking care of our bodies.

Agreed. Family of 4 that would eat out 3-4 meals a weekend (fri restaurant, sat sandwich shop lunch, restaurant dinner, sinday breakfast), and that alone was costing about $300 a weekend.

Sure my grocery bill went up about $50 a week, but it's still costing me $250 less, Net.
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    It'll also pay off in the long run with lower insurance bills and medical costs :)
  • FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eating Healthy is expensive. This is a myth.

4 Quarter Pounder with cheese meals = +/- $28

I can make the same 4 meals at home with healthier options for about $6

Yes. Exactly. I have found that making meals from scratch SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the cost. We stay away from prepackaged anything!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    But if you want those burgers to be healthy you have to pay more for leaner hamburger, better buns and good veggies! Lean hamburger in Illinois is about $6.00 lb.

Or you can make burgers out of something besides beef. Hold on, I know this might blow some minds, but a hamburger doesn't have to be beef.
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    When you buy in season foods or buy locally (non imported foods) you'll save more. Definitely try not to stay away from prepackaged things as suggested from others, those are bad and can contain hidden preservatives/additives to keep them shelf stable.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is more expensive. If you buy top quality food that prepares easily. It is a lot of work to plan healthy food and do all the prep that is required for the less expensive alternatives. Although it is worth it in the long run.
  • sullus
    Options

On the east coast 93/7 Ground Beef is around $3.50/lb
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Here in NY Lean 93/7 ground turkey runs 4.50 a pound when seasoned well even my coworker today thought my taco meat was beef
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy organic, monk picked, special foods to be healthy. Whole grains, lean meat, eggs, frozen veggies and fruit are all equally nutritious and don't cost a lot.

This!
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It might be a little bit more expensive but not by much. Things that I find helpful:

1. Buy in bulk (Costco).
    2. Shop in budget store chains (Aldi and Lidl might not carry foie gras but they are great for staples)
    3. Look for deals and offers. It involves gathering information and going to multiple stores. Then again, if you find a good deal on chicken breasts, buy in bulk and freeze.
    4. Cook in bulk and freeze your meals. Leftover home cooked meals are great for week nights.
    5. Invest in a large freezer. You can find a cheap/free one on Craigslist/Gumtree and the likes.
    6. Buy frozen veggies and fruit. They are second best to fresh
    7. Stock up on spices. This might set you back at first but they last a long time and add variety to meals.
    8. Plan your menu for the week (breakfast, lunches if you pack your own, dinners, snacks, desserts) and only buy what you need. This way you save money, don't waste food and don't have food surplus around the house.
    9. Grow your own if you have an opportunity to do so. Fresh herbs and veggies can be grown all summer long. Even if you don't have a garden you can build a compact herb garden out of a wooden pallet: http://lifeonthebalcony.com/how-to-turn-a-pallet-into-a-garden/
  • Lieann22
    Lieann22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm uk based.

I buy my meat from the butchers - this weekend I got 14 chicken breasts for £20 which I was really pleased with. You can grab a bargain on fruit and veg on market stalls with the "£1 a bowl" option. I also but cheap beef cuts and make my own mice / burgers / meatballs.

The only things I really get is household stuff from the super market and sometimes the odd bit of shopping. I can easily feed myself and my husband on £50.

I also get tesco value porridge oats 75p a kilo
  • 1jobean
    1jobean Posts: 84
    Options
    Most people dont think twice about buying a car that has lots of options or a house that has more square footage or even a cute outfit to wear when they go out. I would rather cut those things back and be healthy.
  • 1jobean
    1jobean Posts: 84
    Options
    Wanted to add bypass surgery, blood pressure meds, dr appts those are expensive