What is the best (most nutritious) Greek Yogurt??

Options
13»

Replies

• phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've been getting Dannon Light & Fit Greek (vanilla) Yogurt... 80 calories, 7g sugar, can't remember the rest off-hand.

I wouldn't mind buying plain Fage Greek Yogurt as I've had it before, but I was warned by my personal trainer to avoid fruit and granola. Looking around the forums now I'm thinking maybe that advice was wrong >_>
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Chiobani does not contain any artificial sweeteners. I think that I've had plain for so long that the taste difference is more noticeable for me. It's the same if I eat any other kind of yogurt (yoplait, dannon, etc). My taste buds are just used to plain greek yogurt.

Chobani makes a plain yogurt as well. :)
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    A lot of Chobani yogurts have up to 19g of sugar in them. I know some people don't care about the sugar content, but it surprised me that there's the same amount of sugar in a cup of Chobani as there is in two bowls of lucky charms.

I haven't tried Fage yet but after today and all of the good reviews I will!

I often eat the Yoplait greek at 100 cals (12g sugar) or the Dannon Light and Fit at 80 cals (7g sugar).

Most plain yogurt will have around 7g of sugar per 6 oz (170g) or so of yogurt, including both Fage and Chobani.

Siggi's Skyr, which isn't really "greek" yogurt (as noted above) and is noticeably less sweet / more tart comes in at about 4g of sugar for 150g of yogurt.

Where you get a lot more sugar is with the fruit flavorings, which can add anywhere from 10-20g of sugar. To cut back on that, or better control it, like others have said, you can add your own sweeteners.

With all of that said, some of these yogurts with fruit & flavoring get their added sugar from the fruit itself, while others add straight sugar, fructose, etc. Without getting into the religion of this sugar vs. that sugar, there's probably some relatively minor (given the amount) health benefit if you're going the crushed up fruit route vs. the straight sugar route.

... and there's a world of difference between the ingredients lists on some of these "greek" yogurts. Fage, Chobani, Siggi and a few others are pretty straight-forward & taste good to boot. :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Fage, 0% and full fat. If 0% I add some agave, hemp, fruit and flax. With the normal one, it is so nice it needs nothing beyond fruit.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    i love chobani pomegranate :3
  • CoachTommyB
    Options
    I enjoy me some Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt! My favs are Pineapple, straweberry, and vanilla. 12 grams or protien, 8-9 grams of carbs and only 80 calories. Alot of greek yogurt out there have a ton of carbs, so i really like this one, and its sooo good.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Plain and fat free, any brand. That way you get the benefits and no added sugar for syrupy fruit goop.

I add splenda.
  • phurst00
    Options
    I enjoy me some Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt! My favs are Pineapple, straweberry, and vanilla. 12 grams or protien, 8-9 grams of carbs and only 80 calories. Alot of greek yogurt out there have a ton of carbs, so i really like this one, and its sooo good.

Yay, I thought I was the only one! I love this stuff. I just buy the vanilla, but I love the texture and it has just enough sweetness without killing your sugar intake for the whole day.

Plus, there were coupons for this in last weeks paper, yay!
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad our Costco carries Fage 0 in the larger tubs for only $4.99. Last weekend I bought 3! :love:
  • CoachTommyB
    Options

Yay, I thought I was the only one! I love this stuff. I just buy the vanilla, but I love the texture and it has just enough sweetness without killing your sugar intake for the whole day.

Plus, there were coupons for this in last weeks paper, yay!

Lucky you!
    Safeway had the four packs on sale for like 2 months! and now they are not, super sad day.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I have heard Fage is the best as it has the least amount of additives, but calorie wise it's all up to you, the 0% fat ones have less calories, I think some brands make some that are as low as 100 calories but they are smaller portions I think.
  • phurst00
    Options
    I have heard Fage is the best as it has the least amount of additives, but calorie wise it's all up to you, the 0% fat ones have less calories, I think some brands make some that are as low as 100 calories but they are smaller portions I think.

Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt is 5.3oz, not too bad a size, though I think you get a bit more with Chobani and Fage (plus more calories). Sometime I will try Fage plain with added fruit, because the last time I tried it just by itself it was pretty gross :p

ps - has anyone ever tried putting sliced/ground almonds in their yogurt... I promise you it's delish! (Just make sure you log the almonds too) :D
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I noticed oikos has an aftertaste that is sour that I didn't notice with fage. I get the fage that comes with the fruit. It's pretty good and no aftertaste. Oikos would be better without that aftertaste.
  • docstone71
    docstone71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Chobani has too much sugar. I will try this fage...if it's in Arizona. I can't buy the Greek one due to all the sugar. :(
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You haven't had yogurt until you try full fat Fage. Get a good source of protein and fat to actually help you feeling full and stay full. Add your own fruit or whatever, don't get the flavored ones. The full fat is also great for cooking in tons of common recipes.
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    Chobani has too much sugar. I will try this fage...if it's in Arizona. I can't buy the Greek one due to all the sugar. :(

I may have posted this before (don't remember), but here's a Google spreadsheet that compares the carb, sugar, fat, protein content of various strained yogurt brands:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al5RZKHzjd6wdEdiU2hoTlgtMFZIY1pGZXE4b1k1OXc&usp=sharing

Like folks have said, the key to managing the sugar content is to go with the plain and add your own flavoring. The plain varieties are all pretty similar in terms of sugar content.
  • stacerice
    stacerice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Wallaby Greek (2% or 0%) if you can find it. I live in Chicago and they have it at Whole Foods. It's excellent. 23 grams of protein per serving. I would eat Fage more, but it bothers me that it's not organic.

http://www.wallabyyogurt.com/products/greek-nonfat-yogurt/item/greek-nonfat-plain-32oz?category_id=19