prepackaged low-calorie meals

bm2092004
bm2092004 Posts: 8
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
As a college student, it's nearly impossible to make your own meals, and fast food restaurants are on literally every corner. So I was just wondering if anyone has found any prepackaged (microwaving is the most advanced form of cooking i have access to) meals that are low in calories. Thanks.

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Hi,
    It's not so much the cals you'll want to watch for on the frozen foods as much as the sodium levels, that's what can get crazy high on processed foods. Different brands vary, some are far more reasonable.:tongue:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Watch out for the sodium and the sugar. I just can't eat frozen meals the flavor is never good to me but it doesn't rule out frozen items. Grocery stores offer a lot more fresh options than in years past. Try looking for prepacked salads and fruit and low sodium soups (that could be microwaved). Also, you may want to look up the nutrition info on the restaurants near you and find out what your healthier options are so you know whats on each menu that you can grab and go.
    If you have a trader joes or similar store in your area they have great ready made meals for about 3-5 bucks each and they have a few frozen items that I do like, frozen cooked rice (I like the brown), burritos and they have chicken and some other items that have been grilled and frozen, I think you get something like 6 chicken breast for about 8 bucks.

There are many options out there, again, keep an eye on the sodium and sugar content and you should be fine. Good luck
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    If you compare things like Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones meals, they are huge in sodium, but the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers are not bad at all, about HALF the sodium as the others, and pretty tasty.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    You are better off making a turkey sandwhich and having cottage cheese and a fruit. Otherwise you are loading up on sodium and preservatives. Buying healthy cereal and skim, fruits, lowfat cheese and veges is the way to go!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Yep, just make a sandwich and take it with you! Better than eating chemicals and salt! Fruit is easy to carry with you too...and at the very most desperate, a natural protein bar will suffice.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I microwave most of my meals as well (and I lived last semester with just a mini fridge and a microwave, no kitchen). I ate the Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers (i think you can find them near the mac n cheese such in the store) and they were yummy and filling for about 300 calories each. They also don't need to be refrigerated. Other things I love are the Safeway brand Eating Right tv dinners, Healthy Choice is my second favorite. There are a few good ones that I like, around 300 calories and not horrible on the sodium. Also, I second Trader Joe's if you have access to one. They have great frozen meals and pizzas and stuff. 300 calories or so for each. Also, bags of frozen pasta that has the sauce and veggies all ready to go, just microwave and eat! I loveee those. 200 calories or so per serving. In general, the frozen section of the grocery store has alot of good options, just check the sodium content to make sure it's not terrible and be sure to drink lots of water to offset the sodium in them. I've been eating mostly frozen foods and last semester I lost 15 pounds with the lack of a kitchen and this year I've lost the weight shown on my ticker with rarely using the stove/oven.
This discussion has been closed.