Why am I not losing weight?

Options
Please look at my diary and tell me why I'm not losing weight. I try and follow a low carb diet and a 16/8 routine. I always reach my water target (but then do have the odd/regular g&t as well). Can this really be derailing my weight loss. My BMI this morning was 24.75 so it's not disastrous but I do want/need to lose another 6kg. Thanks so much.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    A) You're diary is private.

B) "Low Carb" doesn't mean anything, unless you are eating at a reasonable Caloric deficit.

C) IF (16/8) doesn't mean anything unless you are eating at a reasonable Caloric deficit.

D) It would help, after opening your diary, to know your stats - ie: height, weight, and how much weight you're trying to lose per week.
  • EverDecreasingMog
    Options
    Thanks for looking - I'll try and work out how to open my diary (bit of a techno-idiot!) I am 175/5'9" and weigh 77 kg. Am off to try and reveal my private details :)
  • EverDecreasingMog
    Options
    Oh - that wasn't too difficult :).
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you are logging everything you are eating, you're hardly eating anything at all... I would eat a little more and maybe put a variety of foods in there. I see a lot of the same things over and over. It's not a bad thing to cycle foods, but you don't have much to cycle. You could take a look at my diary, and take some ideas if you'd like.
  • maulop
    maulop Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just saw your diary. I can tell that you're eating too low on calories every day, and also skipping breakfast. Your body must be trying to retain as much fat as possible because the low calorie intake.

Try reaching the calorie goal by filling all the meals for a couple of weeks and see how it goes on your weight. Also measuring yourself will help to see if the body is changing. (wrists, neck, hips, waist, legs).

Good luck
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You're hardly eating anything and not meeting your goals. If you're not achieving your goals, how do you expect to have success. You see that word goal in your diary with the calorie number by it...you should be trying to achieve that goal, not shoot under it. That GOAL has a substantial calorie deficit built in for weight loss...it isn't your maintenance calories.

By under eating as much as you are you have completely shut down your metabolism...basically, your body is storing everything you put into it just to operate it's basic functions.

Start achieving your goals and you will have success in losing weight...it'll take a few weeks for your metabolism to re-set, just FYI...the longer you've been doing this, the longer it will take to re-set, and yes, you may actually put a bit of weight on in the process.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    The first thing that I notice is that you are eating WAY below your calorie goal. It is important that you are giving your body enough fuel, especially when you're working out. I'm by no means suggesting that you should stuff your face when you're not hungry, but my advice would be to be a little more aware of how much you are eating and how many calories you have to go. The minimum most professionals would recommend is 1200 calories per day. You're 5'9, which means that you should be eating even more than that. I know how it feels to have a high goal. I'm 6 foot, and I'm supposed to eat 1900 a day. My goal is to eat at least 1500 day, but more if I can help it. Perhaps you should do your best to at least hit that 1200 calorie mark?

You're eating healthy foods, and rocking the sodium intake. But might be a good idea to eat a little more of what you're already eating now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The first thing that I notice is that you are eating WAY below your calorie goal. It is important that you are giving your body enough fuel, especially when you're working out. I'm by no means suggesting that you should stuff your face when you're not hungry, but my advice would be to be a little more aware of how much you are eating and how many calories you have to go. The minimum most professionals would recommend is 1200 calories per day. You're 5'9, which means that you should be eating even more than that. I know how it feels to have a high goal. I'm 6 foot, and I'm supposed to eat 1900 a day. My goal is to eat at least 1500 day, but more if I can help it. Perhaps you should do your best to at least hit that 1200 calorie mark?

You're eating healthy foods, and rocking the sodium intake. But might be a good idea to eat a little more of what you're already eating now.

And fat...fat is not evil...fat is a necessary nutrient...your brain needs it and it is vital to your central nervous system...not to mention healthy monounsaturated fats from things like olive oil, nuts, avocados, etc are natures way of dealing with the cholesterol in your arteries and cleaning you out. Everyone goes on a diet and cuts fat. A little fat goes a long way towards proper nutrition and meeting your calorie goals.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough to lose weight. You will have to up your calorie intake. I know it's hard, but I started out at 1200 a day and lost a pound a week, but I was hungry. Then I went to 1400 and was more satisfied and still lost a pound a week. Now I am eating 1400-1600 and still losing a pound a week. Good luck.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Whoa, this thread exploded since I last was here...

But, yes - the only thing that jumps out at me is that you're eating roughly 1000 Cals per day, when your goal ends up around 1700 Cals. I'd suggest not even worrying about exercise Cals, as they mostly seem to be from walking. Thus, you probably should be eating up around 1700 Cals each day. You say you have 6 kg that you want to lose, which is about 13 lbs. You may be able to have MFP set to lose 1 lb per week (about 0.5 kg - I'm not sure how it looks to you) and be OK, but a better goal might be to lose 1/2 lb per week.

As wolfman said, you may see the scale number go up for a short bit, as your metabolism gets back to "normal." You may find it easier to jump up to 1400 Cals per day or so first for a week, then up to the 1700 you should be at.
  • EverDecreasingMog
    Options
    Oh wow guys - thanks for all the replies! I really liked the idea of 18/6 and low carbing because I really want to shift some weight quite quickly. Would it still work if I tried to eat more during my 6 hours of eating? Am trying to derive my calories from low carb food - is that ok? Thanks again everyone.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    That's fine - whatever method works for you and you can keep up with. Just make sure you're fueling your body properly.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you do intermittent fasting, you should be eating your entire daily calorie goal in that 8 hour window. You need to be eating more, so plan for bigger meals. The timing of meals won't necessarily help more or less. Eat when you're hungry. If you're starving in the mornings because you're trying to fast just eat breakfast. If you aren't hungry at breakfast time, then it's ok to skip it, but you need to be "making up" for those calories later.

Eating less won't necessarily speed up your weight loss, so if you're intentionally eating 1000-1100 calories to lose the weight faster, it's probably not the best idea. Just aim for your goal.

Further reading on large deficits:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    3 words - too few calories
  • teammaryterry
    Options
    this is so true
  • EverDecreasingMog
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I want to continue with my 16/8 low carb because it feels like a good plan but I will try and get closer to my calorie target. It's quite strange though as I am not feeling hungry or deprived on my current level - although this may just be because my metabolism has slowed down......... I want to be thinner!!!