2000 calories too many?

Options
I am 5'4", 143 pounds, 25 year old female. My waist is currently at 31 inches, so I would like to lose a few inches overall. My BF was tested with calipers March 1st and found to be 29.6%!

ihave stopped really tracking my weight and am now focusing on building muscle and losing body fat. Now I am so confused about how much I should be eating! I had problems with EDNOS for most of my weight loss journey, so for me, I always try to stay on the lower end of my calorie goals. But that is not working any more, because I wake up in the middle of the night RAVENOUS, can not fall back asleep until I eat, and I usually am in such a haze I make bad or just plain WEIRD choices. I am not enjoying this night time eating, and it is putting me over my calories every day.

Anyway, I have been thinking about upping my cals to 2000 a day (from 1375 + exercise cals). I exercise 5-6 days a week, a mix of running (cause I love it) and weight training. On the weekends, I am very active- I have two young children so I am always trying to keep us on the go and not sitting around the house, plus since I work 50+ hours a week, I clean all weekend long getting caught up on every thing. I dont just sit around wathcing TV like I used to!

Basically, although I have come so far I feel like I am going in circles trying to get the last few pounds off and change my body how I want it. I dont want to waste any more time- although I know I cant expect a miracle before summer, I would like to get as far as I can in the next 2 months so I can really enjoy myself this year in the hot weather! :wink:

Replies

• EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I provided enough information, and my diary is open but again, there is some weird stuff going on lately! :) Thanks, all!
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You've come so far!

Those last few pounds are the absolute hardest to move, I've heard.

Have you tried having something with protein before you go to bed? That might help with not waking up so hungry in the middle of the night.

If I were you, I'd figure out your maintenance calories for your goal weight, and eat at that level. You should very slowly lose weight until you level out at your goal weight. Maybe up your calories to 1600 + exercise?
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how you feel? If you wake up hungry, you definitely need to eat more. Can you keep fruits & veggies around and go for those when you want a snack or are hungry in the middle of the night?

I'd try the 2000 cals for 4 weeks and see how your body feels. If you're that active, you very well may need more calories in order to lose/tone.

Good luck! :)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    2K calories is just right for you I think! You are very active!!! your body needs to feed. Just feed it right 1300 cals?!?!?!!? dude, you are starving!!!:bigsmile:
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Dont forget to strenght train!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Worth a try, maybe have a re feed day too. Basically just eat ALL the carbs!! lol That can help kick start a change, you sound really active and have done amazing so far so I am sure you will be able to stick to it to try see if it works.

GIve it 2 weeks and see how the scale has reacted, I guess there is no exact science to it but upping your cals, especially if you are really active can have a positive effect. It's hard to find the true balance of what your body actually needs cals wise but what you have described sounds like a great starting point!

Hope it works out!!

Ben
  • jordantylergillespie
    jordantylergillespie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd say 2000 calories is fine, just looking back through one week of your diary though and I would HIGHLY recommend increasing your protein intake by like double.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I think adding the 2000 calories is a good idea...given how active you are. :smile:

8488541.png
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishment, you look fantastic!

I've actually just hit my goal recently, but am actually trying to pull off just a few more lbs for "insurance". But I'm thinking similarly to you, from a maintenance perspective, and trying to further decrease bodyfat and build back some muscle - I usually run 40+ miles a week and as I've lost weight, I've also lost a lot of upper body muscle.

If you don't mind I'm going to tag along with this post and see what the masses say :)
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Use a TDEE calculator to get an estimate if you are not going to be tracking your exercise calories.
    2000 calories per day for me is just right because of how active I am and because i do not track my exercise, whereas if I were mainly sedentary, I would have to stay around 1600.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 127, 37, and have my goal at 2,000. I'm still losing at a rate of about a pound a month.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    your body is sending you a LOUD message to eat more - how much more is tricky to say but 2000 doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I would add it to not weigh in immediately as you may have an initial gain and you wouldn't want that to discourage you if you are getting over a scale addiction.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Given your activity level, I'd say 2000 is good.

That said...you should consider upping your protein intake to roughly .9 - 1 gram per Lb of LBM...pretty important for as active as you are. Also, you should definitely be incorporating strength training. That is going to do more for you at this point than anything else...it is the only way to change your body composition and get the look I know you're looking for (because everyone is looking for it).

Here's a good read:

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/exercise-to-burn-belly-fat/

Also, if you haven't done so yet, look into New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lift like a man and look like a goddess...you've got this.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 0" and when I was lifting heavy on a regular basis, I set my calories at 1845 plus exercise calories and was able to maintain my weight just fine. (MFP set me somewhere around 1400.) I felt so much better than when I was practically starving myself trying to maintain an unrealistic goal. Try 200 and see how it works. If it's too much, back off gradually, maybe 100 at a time. Good luck!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating just 1300+exercise cals for a long time, It's probably not wise to just jump right up to 2000. 2000 may well be what you should be eating, but you should work your way up slowly as you may have negatively affected your metabolism. If you make that big a jump right away, your body is gonna 'freak out' . I would add 100-200 calories to my daily goal and stay there for a week then up it again for another week. Continue in this way until your reach 2000. Good luck.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising that much you will be fine upping your calories, just make sure you are getting plenty of protein! Find a good TDEE calculator and work your numbers out. Also, I use a FitBit pedometer, and on average I burn 2000 - 2200 a day. If I let MFP set my calories it sets it too low. I manually set me numbers on here and I am for 1800. P.S. My exercise is just walking (I am on my feet a lot), no gym or lifting yet. Don't underfeed yourself, especially if you are looking to replace fat with muscle. Good luck!
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    Your weight x 14= maintanence calories subtract 500 calories to lose weight or add 500 to gain
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    No. I've been eating at around 2,000, and I'm finally starting to lose. Ate at maintenance for a few weeks, to break my plateau. Now I'm eating at a 500 cal. deficit. Started to see some changes on the scale this morning and yesterday, after seeing an increase from water retention, but it's coming down now. I recently got a body media so I don't have to guess anymore how many calories I burn. I have 1 small child, and 3 boys all together. I exercise also anywhere from 3-6 days/week. I do zumba, treadmill, and strength training. My days are pretty busy, most days, cooking, cleaning, and chasing after my 19mo old. I'm amazed at how many calories I burn just doing those daily activities. On the days I exercise, I can burn from 2,500-3,000, depending on how much I do. You may see a slight increase in the scale initially, but it will come right back off, atleast mine did. Your body will just have to adjust to the change in calorie intake. Give it time! I was getting frustrated, and almost cut my calories drastically, but it's coming off now. Good luck! :happy:
  • azamlynn2000
    azamlynn2000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think this site will benefit you incredibly - freedieting.com . Just go to the calculators for how many calories you need with the amount of exercise you are doing, which in your case will be , everyday(intense). When I put in your info, it gives me the following number of calories for you:
    Monday/Thursday Sunday - eat 1905 calories
    Tuesday - 1524 calories
    Wednesday - 2286 calories
    Saturday - 2095 calories

Calorie cycling will help not to plateau! Also, I will suggest increasing the amount of lean protein that you take to about 30% of your total calories, that will take care of your cravings! Hope that helps!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd increase your calories but maybe not by that much.

What's your job? If you're sitting 50 hours a week, even a few 200-250 calories workouts don't make you very active. I'd say lightly active. Or just log your strength training too and eat back those calories.