Eating to much protien?

Options
I am just starting up (again). I am eating to much protein according to MFP. Is this bad or going to curb my weightloss? How much do you eat and how did you get that number? Can I change the pre-programmed amount?

Replies

• Live4theLift
    Options
    Protein isn't bad, you can't change the amount but going over isn't bad. 1gram of protein is 4 cals the same as carbs but fats are 9 cals per gram
  • nasa91
    nasa91 Posts: 8
    Options
    Think of your protein goal as a minimum rather than a maximum. You can customize your macros under Goals -> Change Goals -> Custom from the homepage.
  • Chassity1987
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I love meat and its mainly been chicken I just wanted to check. I know today I am about 34 grams over with what I plan to have for dinner.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein. :)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I always aim to be over on protein, especially on active days.
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Excess protein will be turned into fat so try not to go too far over.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,047 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 100 grams every day. Enjoy!
  • BHetrick
    BHetrick Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can change your protein.

Go in to "Goals" -> "Change Goals" -> "Custom".

In there you can change what you want.
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think the lowest I have ever been on protein is maybe in the 60's and my highest was 99. :)
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Imho, mfp WAAAAAAAAAY undershoots on protein. I am cutting fat with a decent calorie deficit, and I still go for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you want to be burning fat and preserving muscle, you need to be lifting weights and eating protein while you run a calorie deficit. You won't really gain muscle, but you will give your body a reason to hold on to the muscle that it currently has.
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have always heard you should eat about 1 gram of protein for every 2lbs you weigh.

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    MFP grossly underestimates protein goals. It should be ROUGHLY a gram of protein per pound of body weight (or a gram per pound of lean mass)

Besides, there's no harm getting extra. What curbs weight loss is taking in more calories than you burn. So if you're not doing that, then you're fine.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein. :)

This is wrong. As with everything, the consequences of 'too much' are bad. 'Too much' protein is seriously bad for your kidneys, as well as other things.

Having said that, MFP horrifically underestimates your allotted protein, and it takes a lot to be 'too much', so go for it.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

How many grammes of protein would you suggest the OP ingests then to avoid this happening?
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options
    Here is a very informative post on all of that plus lots more.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I always eat to munch protein
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options
    Too much protein is only bad if you have EXISTING kidney problems
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

In an overall caloric deficit? Tell me more about this calorie wizardry.....
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options
    I always eat to munch protein

I hope you're not going by MFPs calculations... You need to do your own
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options

In an overall caloric deficit? Tell me more about this calorie wizardry.....

This is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

excess protein does NOT turn into fat.