How to find the motivation to work out in the morning?

Options
I have to wake up M-F at 6am for work and get off at 5 and then head home to work out. I would prefer to work out in the morning but I seriously hit the reset button on my alarm if I set it for 5 am. I can't seem to do it but it would be nice to not have to be such a slave to working out as soon as I get off work. Any tips from you early risers?

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do it with any regularity and on the few times i did actually do it in the morning, my eyes burned and i was out of sorts all day long. Blech, no thanks!
  • cavanerwifey
    cavanerwifey Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't work out in the early am, but ideally I would. Before the kids get up and we start our day. It would be nice to get it over with. My days start at 630am, but anything before that and I feel like a zombie. Ha. I think it would help if baby slept thru the entire night, we're just not there yet!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 in order to get to my CrossFit class at 6. It's not easy, but I've surprised myself with my consistency. Here are some tips:

1. Go to bed early. Seriously, if you aren't doing something important, just go to bed.
    2. Find a workout you love.
    3. Find morning workout buddies to motivate you.
    4. Just do it! It takes a couple weeks to create a habit. If you can do it for two weeks, you can do it forever.

Ultimately, the feeling of knowing your done with your workout by the time you go to work is a reward in and of itself. Also, since I get it out of the way before I'm even awake enough to comprehend what's happening, I don't skip as much. I just don't have the time in between the alarm and getting to class to rationalize not working out.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
    It sucks for like 2 weeks and then it's easier.
    I still have my off days but that's all I got lol
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I go in the mornings about 3 days a week, sometimes all 5.

The trick for me was packing my gym bag the night before with all of my stuff to get ready for work. That way when I wake up at 5am, eventhough it's hard to get up, I think to myself that I don't want to have wasted that time the previous night to get everything all ready. Plus if I don't go, then I just have to unpack everything!

It doesn't really seem like it would be that motivating, but it really worked for me, especially to get me started.

Also - make sure to get your workout clothes all ready to go the night before as well, it makes things faster.

EDIT - just to add, as someone else said, go to bed early! I'm usually in bed by 9, and it really helps! Also, if your gym offers classes, start going to some of those. If you like them it'll motivate you to keep going as well!
  • laura666666
    laura666666 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Today was day 3 for me in terms of working out. I'm having to get up at 5am to fit it in. I get everything i need to wear ready the night before, so I can roll out of bed and go. I used to work with horses and started work at 6am. If you push yourself to rising early consequtively for a couple of weeks if that, you'll be amazed at how your body clock will change. It really wont be long until waking up before the alarm goes off, even if it is silly o'clock. I would definitely start now while its not dark, so that by winter time your routine is firmly embedded. Plus theres something cosy about the quietness in the morning!!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I found an accountability partner who was already an early exerciser. For 2 weeks I called her when I got up to work out. Then, it just became routine. Also, Shake Awake Alarm App. You put it across the room and you have to drag your butt out of bed to shake it until it turns off. Also, find a workout that you enjoy, it makes getting up a lot easier!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I don't wake up as early as 5am, but I just suck it up and get up.

The past 4-5x I've been to the gym I was dragging my feet (f* you TOM!) but I dragged my butt out of bed, mostly ready since I sleep in my workout clothes, and just did it! I'm always glad I worked out afterwards. Always.

It does become easier, I regularly wake up before my alarm clock now and just lay in the dark, enjoying the quiet and prepping myself for the inevitable alarm clock sounding.
  • ChrisRiches
    ChrisRiches Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person at all, but I signed up for a 5:30 a.m. boot camp 2 years ago, and I'm still going 3 days a week. Mostly - some days I sleep in. But I find that accountability helps me get out of bed. I also started giving another lady a ride to the classes, so when I know she is waiting for me, I get out of bed no problem. And I feel so much better getting that done first thing. The hardest part of the day is over, and it's only 6:30 a.m.!

So if you can make yourself accountable to someone else to get up early, maybe that will help? Works for me. Good luck!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Monday, I started getting up at 6:00am to go walking. Believe me, I didn't want to do that Monday morning. I asked my MFP friends to send me some encouragement. When I was tempted to hit the snooze button, I kept hearing my friends "voices" in my head saying "You can do this". I couldn't disappoint them, so I got up, got dressed and got out the door for a 1+mile walk. Tuesday morning was difficult also, but this morning, 6:00am wake up call was much easier.

Just "make" yourself do it. And do it tomorrow. Soon it will get easier.

And let your MFP friends know what you are doing so you get benefit from the accountability factor.
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of dedication to get up and do it in the morning! I also normally get up at 6 am. On my morning exercise days I get up at 5:30 and do a 20 minute workout DVD (Jillian Michaels KickBox FastFix). It's quick and provides a good workout (I think). After while you get used to it and I felt a big difference in my energy level after a couple of weeks. Of course that could have been a combination of also exercising in the evening and eating better, too. Good luck! You can do it!
  • Cpt_Kirk_2013
    Cpt_Kirk_2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing to do is get into a routine. Get ready the night before and if you can make it through 2 weeks of doing it then it'll be almost second nature. Having someone to keep you accountable helps. I'm happy to scold anyone who needs it, just let me know. ;-) I work out with a good friend 5 days a week and we rely on each other to hand each other weights, spot, etc. so it keeps me from hitting that button too many times.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I like working out in the morning more so it's easy for me, I'm usually up before my alarm actually (and it goes off at 4am:laugh: )

Put your alarm clock across the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it on
    set a timer switch for a light to go on shortly after your alarm's gone off
    put your gym clothes out before heading to bed
    go to bed early
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This sounds really cliche' but just do it. My favorite workouts are in the morning when my schedule permits me to spend an hour at the gym before work. The first few mornings are tough but after several days you will find yourself more energized and mentally prepared for the day. Also, it opens up the possibility of extra calorie burn if you have some excess energy after work...hit the gym twice. Just start going...you really will look forward to it after a few days.
  • iceandfires
    Options
    the first few times are always the hardest. laying out clothing ahead of time, having a nice cold bottle of water in the fridge waiting for you, and having the rest of your morning planned out ahead of time makes it a lot easier. because i'm extremely lazy (and i do mean, extremely lazy) i found that i have to throw my blankets off of myself (i live in a basement suite, so the mornings are terribly cold), and if i still want to lay shivering on my bed then i can skip my workout. i never do.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've been getting up at 4am for a 5am boot camp for a year now. Before this I was NOT a morning person. I had a hard time getting up at 6am for work. I started by being accountable to someone else. Don't know if this is possible for you. We decided to carpool and knowing that she was waiting for me to pick her up made me get my lazy *kitten* out of bed.

After awhile it becomes habit. Do I like it? NO! I hate waking up still. But I know if I don't I will regret it. Every once in a while I convince myself to go back to bed and tell myself that I will workout when I get home. Guess what? That NEVER happens :) And since I know that it just pushes me more to get up in the morning.

I agree that getting everything ready the night before is helpful. Knowing that all I have to do is throw on the clothes and head out makes getting up and ready a bit less daunting.

Eventually you will get addicted to the exercise and nothing will stand in your way! You just gotta do it! Good luck :)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I get everything i need to wear ready the night before, so I can roll out of bed and go.

This too! Cloths, and pre and post workout shakes are ready to go, and cloths for work since I go straight there from the gym.
  • eperezamora
    eperezamora Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am up by 420a, monday to friday. My motivation Monday to thursday, is Gym is empty and I will not have to fight for a machine. lol. On fridays, its get up early so i coudl have movie night and Or pizza with my kids. So far its working for me. Good Luck!
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a AM person either but I KNOW that if I wait until after work to workout.... there's a pretty good chance something will come up!! I get up at 5am M-F and do Turbo Jam in my living room.... I LOVE IT!! I fell so much better during the day, I'm in a good mood, I'm energized.... Knowing I've got that in for the day almost makes me want to do more after work... not as hard of a work out but I still like to walk the dog so that's just BONUS calories burned!! I highly recommend trying it for 2 weeks.... 3 mornings a week... put your alarm across the room so you have to get up to turn it off!! then you're already up - have your clothes ready.... then off ya go! :flowerforyou:

I always figure it's better to get going before your brain figures out what you're doing!! :wink:
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    AGREE. I am not a morning person, but for the last few months i have been forcing myself to wake up at 5am to work out at home. I usually have my work out clothes laid out the night before and my water ready to go. It does get easier. Monday's are the worse lol

Some days when i really dont want to get up.. i honestly ask myself how bad do i want it.. usually makes me get up.

Good Luck
    Just do it.
    It sucks for like 2 weeks and then it's easier.
    I still have my off days but that's all I got lol