Sports fans topic of the day: BOOING at events

Options
2»

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Professionals: Sure, boo 'em ... if that wasn't a $10Million play that $10Million Player made - he deserves a boo.

Amateurs/Kids: Naaah. Never boo. And just as bad as booing is cheering when a kid on the other team makes a mistake that results in a benefit for your kid's team. Dont do that either.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Anyone else think of this when thinking about "booing" ?

GvUGbPv.gif

new-girl-jess-zooey-quotes-50.gif
  • Igotdisbish
    Options
    I boo pros and refs. What is tacky and makes hulk smash is drunken idiots cussin up a storm when there are kids around. I mean just be a drunken idiot without the F-bombs. That's what I do.:drinker:
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Professional, sure. College and anything under that, nah. What I hate more than booing is when a visiting team's player gets injured, and the fans clap. Really? Gtfo.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm from Philly. We boo Santa Claus.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Having officiated 1,243 football games [ranging from PeeWee to Semi-Pro] over a 35-year career, I've heard my share of 'criticism' from the stands.
    An observation: The most vocal of the people who 'boooooo' a call are doing so for (generally) two reasons. They don't know the rule or they are simply biased.
    Once I was roundly boo-ed by the home town fans when I called back a touchdown. When I turned on the microphone to describe what happened, most of the fans realized the call was correct, and the boos subsided. They still didn't like the fact that I denied their team a touchdown, but they knew I was right.
    Not to say officials don't make mistakes -- I've made my share -- but the official is going to be right MUCH more often than he's wrong.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Boo for bad calls, boo for poor performance, only if they are Pro's. Never boo a college kid, that's just uncouth.

Also, never cheer for a player to be injured. Never cheer if a player is injured. That's bad form in sports, and in life in general.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'll boo an official. I'll boo an opposing player. But I will never boo the home team or home player. It's counterproductive.

ETA: Never in youth sports.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Very tacky!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm from Philly. We boo Santa Claus.

Way to go with the worst bit of mythology going.

You boo a 17-year-old drunk in a bad santa costume who goes out on the field? Because THAT's the Santa they booed.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Booing the Yankees is always allowed
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I pay a lot of money for my West Ham season ticket, and I look forward to the visits of former players so I can boo them (not all of them, I don't / didn't boo Scott Parker).
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I just yell obscenities. As long as I enunciate like a lady, I don't see a problem with it.

:flowerforyou:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    At college hockey games, we have a tradition of (the whole crowd) yelling "WHO CARES?" after each name when they introduce the visiting team's starting lineup. Then there's sing-song chanting of "ugly goalie" whenever the opposing goalie takes off his helmet or "sieve, sieve, sieve, it's all your fault" after he has let our team score. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I think every visiting team expects this sort of thing. I mean, they're already playing HOCKEY, so getting hurt FEELINGS is the least of their worries.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Booing the Yankees is always allowed

Yes.

This I don't understand though: I went to opening day at Rangers stadium, and the fans kept booing Josh Hamilton (former Ranger, now playing for the Angels). He kept striking out or popping it up. I was CHEERING for him, he was helping the Rangers win. I mean, I understand booing him for existing, he's a *kitten*, but don't boo him when he's helping your team.....

Oh, I guess that means I support booing rich sucky sports players who act like douches just because they exist.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I wont boo a team just because they're going agaisnt my team but I will boo off-hand bs.
  • qasim91
    qasim91 Posts: 25
    Options
    I boo any bad officiating mostly, but also former players that aren't held in high regard, general players who cheat or have done something bad. I don't see a problem doing that.
    In continental Europe, they tend to whistle instead of booing.