Fear of Driving?

Options
2»

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I didn't get my license till I was nearly 22...my parents were too scared to TEACH me. I bought a new car so I could get to work.... my parents drove me. My dad drove MY car more than his. FINALLY, the guy I was dating at the time got mad and he took me to parking lots and taught me. I may never have gotten my license if it hadn't been for him.

I have always had anxiety issues and thought I would never drive. But I finally felt less anxious after I got my license. The feeling of independence was greater than my fear. And being able to take back my car from my dad was great!
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    my ex bf was a bit like this. he always had people to give him rides, me, his sister etc, and didn't see any reason why he should get his license. he wasn't confident that he could handle a car, (he was 42 at the time.) he'd had lessons but was in no rush to take it further. then one day i'd driven us somewhere and i got sick. i could barely stand, let alone drive and the only way we were getting home was if he got us there. so i got in the passenger seat, told him i was in his hands, had confidence in his ability to get us there and pretty much passed out. and he did it. he had to rely on his own knowledge and ability as he couldn't ask me questions every 100 yards and the following day he applied for his license.
    he'd never had the need to trust himself before so had convinced himself he couldn't do it. i'm not saying do something this extreme, and plenty of practice is invaluable. uk test dates are up to 3 months out from when you apply so he drove a lot with my mother while waiting. he wouldn't listen to me, but he didn't know her too well so when she said do something, he did.

if you don't need your license, don't worry about it. there may come a time when it's necessary and you can do something about it. until then, just practice. take lessons if they are available where you are, from someone qualified to teach and who will help you to build confidence. of if there's a family member you will listen to, then ask them to help.