How Can Shy or Introverted People Meet?

Options
sugarandspice27
sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
I've always imagined myself with a nice, thoughtful, insightful, deep thinking guy. Usually, these men are on the shy side. Here's the problem: so am I! We may pass and see each other but no one ever breaks the ice so we never meet. How tragic! I always meet very outgoing, extroverted guys that can be quite charming but usually we're too different to make it last in the long term.

So how are the shy people supposed to meet each other? It's a conundrum.

- Sugar & Spice

Replies

• catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The Internet?? Everybody has balls there!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

^^ true story
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Sometimes they even have three.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Usually in some innocuous way. I NEVER dated, pre se. The girls I hung out with I would meet through mutual interest areas. Like people I played volleyball with in a league, or through church and clubs. It made it easier to talk because there was a common interest and things would go from there.

Good luck.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Wife and I went fishing...
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Become a monk and youll meet lots of people who dont talk either
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    At a Plushie party.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Become a monk and youll meet lots of people who dont talk either

I don't follow...
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Probably by accident...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR5hcPEtlvKw4W6qq7dRZGAVCKjwppvxckppiumyfUu-d8Tgh4
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Drink vodka. :drinker:

You'd be surprised how the shyness melts away and your confidence grows as well as the ability to speak to absolutely anyone!
  • sugarandspice27
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of internet dating....
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Everybody has balls there!

That's what I'm worried about!
  • Mavrick7a
    Mavrick7a Posts: 1,353
    Options
    I've always imagined myself with a nice, thoughtful, insightful, deep thinking guy. Usually, these men are on the shy side. Here's the problem: so am I! We may pass and see each other but no one ever breaks the ice so we never meet. How tragic! I always meet very outgoing, extroverted guys that can be quite charming but usually we're too different to make it last in the long term.

- Sugar & Spice

@OP - they say that opposites attract, and to some degree it's true! For me, I am an Introvert, and realizing that I make extroverts uncomfortable, I have learned to adapt.
    Here are a few examples:
    Introverts
    Quiet, deep thinking, good listeners, fewer friends

Often seen as:
    Analytical, anti-social, judgemental

General Recommendations to Attract Introverts
    1. You will need to initiate conversation. Don't ask too many questions. You hate that I and I hate that, right?
    2. Ask open ended questions, listening for his interests. Never discuss or elaborate on something that you don't know anything about.
    3. Instead of probing him, share interesting things about yourself. You will be vulnerable, but most introverts will ask questions to understand more about you or story that you are sharing.
    4. Avoid grumbling or venting. Not a good introductory discussion and he may start to judge you in the wrong way.
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options

- Sugar & Spice

@OP - they say that opposites attract, and to some degree it's true! For me, I am an Introvert, and realizing that I make extroverts uncomfortable, I have learned to adapt.
    Here are a few examples:
    Introverts
    Quiet, deep thinking, good listeners, fewer friends

Often seen as:
    Analytical, anti-social, judgemental

General Recommendations to Attract Introverts
    1. You will need to initiate conversation. Don't ask too many questions. You hate that I and I hate that, right?
    2. Ask open ended questions, listening for his interests. Never discuss or elaborate on something that you don't know anything about.
    3. Instead of probing him, share interesting things about yourself. You will be vulnerable, but most introverts will ask questions to understand more about you or story that you are sharing.
    4. Avoid grumbling or venting. Not a good introductory discussion and he may start to judge you in the wrong way.

This is actually excellent advice.

And don't be afraid of falling for an extrovert. I've been with one for 8 years. We sort-of balance one another out in a way. He likes to be the center of attention, and I hate it. He likes to talk a lot. A LOT. I don't. Extroverts can help you make friends, too. Honestly, I think I used to be a true introvert before I met him, and now I would just consider myself a "shy extrovert".
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Check out Meetup.com for your area. I'm the same way and joined a couple of groups that forced me to get out of my comfort zone.
  • More_Dakka
    More_Dakka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Find a group on Meetup.com that interests you and join up. Depending on where you are, you can probably find one for Introverts. That's how I went about it, anyway.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of internet dating....

I met my hubby on the internet we celebrated 11 years of marriage in March.

It doesn`t have to be a dating site?

If you have interests then you can always find a forum with like minded people?

But having said that there used to a microsoft chat years ago that I met most of my friends on (that I still keep in touch with now)

I met hubby on a dating site we messaged each other about 4 times then met up...never say never...sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone???
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Shyness is not synonymous with Introversion. Shyness is based on fear of judgement often coupled with low self-esteem. Being an introvert means you like spending time alone and are dislike/are overwhelmed by large groups of people. You get your energy, you're recharged from spending time alone. You do best with people one-on-one and/or in small groups.

I am an introvert, but I am not shy at all. I know plenty of introverts who are also not shy. We just dislike a lot of talking or gabbing or the in-your-face loudness and rah-rah extroverts are known for. Next time you come across a calm,quiet guy who appears to be an introvert, maybe just try smiling at him. Then simply introduce yourself.
  • sugarandspice27
    Options
    Shyness is not synonymous with Introversion. Shyness is based on fear of judgement often coupled with low self-esteem. Being an introvert means you like spending time alone and are dislike/are overwhelmed by large groups of people. You get your energy, you're recharged from spending time alone. You do best with people one-on-one and/or in small groups.

I am an introvert, but I am not shy at all. I know plenty of introverts who are also not shy. We just dislike a lot of talking or gabbing or the in-your-face loudness and rah-rah extroverts are known for. Next time you come across a calm,quiet guy who appears to be an introvert, maybe just try smiling at him. Then simply introduce yourself.

Yes, I am an initially shy (I don't like meeting new people) introvert (I need lots of time alone to recharge). That being stated, I can get out and be extroverted in the right mood, but it's not my natural state, rather a second, developed, nature.
  • sugarandspice27
    Options
    Check out Meetup.com for your area. I'm the same way and joined a couple of groups that forced me to get out of my comfort zone.

I always forget about Meetup! I like this idea, at least we'll know we have something in common.