Wow...I left the gym barely able to walk!

Options
mamax5
mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
I hate wall sits, but I will continue to do them. Anyway, I think I found my fitness thing.....lifting weights! I kept trying to get into running but it bores me to no end. Something about lifting distracts my brain...I can zone out doing that! So, how do I keep from bulking...or do women bulk? I saw a post about bulking myth...but never read it. I cannot believe I like it so much...my favorite so far is the squat press....I can do 50lbs! That kind of makes me excited! I can do 115lbs on some kind of leg machine. I really need to learn the names of these these. Any other women who love weights? I also came close to puking several times...what exactly does that mean?

Replies

• Angie52732
    Angie52732 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have always liked weights more than cardio or body weight exercises. I just don't have anyone to go lift with and was to intimidated to go into the gym before. I do have a weight bench at home and a bar and some plates but no one to really spot me. I have been doing a boot camp for about 2 years but am ready to switch up gyms and go into one that focuses on lifting and see if I can't make me some new friends to help me finish this journey!

The bootcamp has a lot of the machines, but they don't really utilize them. Looking forward to something new

Great job!
    Angie
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, women don't have the hormon levels to get bulky to no end.
    Lifting will help you lose fat & build muscle that will help you get the "toned" look so many women desire.
    Just make sure you make an appointment with a coach in your gym to have someone introducing you to machines & showing you proper form.
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. I just got it from the library and it's very interesting. It incorporates a workout plan and a meal plan and he goes into to detail about how women can't really bulk like men do. He also goes into detail as to why cardio isn't really as necessary as we've all been conditioned to believe and how and why weights can take the place of most of it (which is great for me because aside from the odd class I like cardio is not my thing!)
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I have always liked weights more than cardio or body weight exercises. I just don't have anyone to go lift with and was to intimidated to go into the gym before. I do have a weight bench at home and a bar and some plates but no one to really spot me. I have been doing a boot camp for about 2 years but am ready to switch up gyms and go into one that focuses on lifting and see if I can't make me some new friends to help me finish this journey!

The bootcamp has a lot of the machines, but they don't really utilize them. Looking forward to something new

Great job!
    Angie
    I think that every single woman lifting weights have felt this way. It can be very intimidating. For me it was, at least. But you have to put yourself over your comfort zone. That´s the first challenge and it might be a bigger one than lifting the weights. But you can do it! I started lifting last week, went alone and didn´t knew anything about anything. I was walking around, trying to figure things out. (In denmark there is no PT, there is just one or two who sign people in and can show you the maschines.) If you can, find a PT to show you how to get started. Take a friend with you. Even if she/he doesn´t lift, they can be there just to support you, so you doesn´t feel alone. And people really doesn´t take any notice, they´re all busy doing their own thing. I stand with my back to everybody, looking into the wall. That way I can concentrate about my exercises.

Another thing- try the free weights instead of the machines. It´s supposedly completely different and much better. The maschines- for one thing- will not let you move in your naturale curves, it´s just straight up and down. Try it!

And OP, I love lifting weights. It surprise me how much. I tried to run as well, but my medication completely ruins my physics. After half a year of trying to run, I still run only about 109 yards before I have to walk. It was so demoralizing. Lifting weight is more fun, even when I stand with my "babyweights" among the dudes who lifts/squats 200 pounds. I feel a little silly, but I tell myself that I will soon do better. And some day I might be able to help a beginner. That would really make me proud!

Good luck with lifting! And about the puking- make sure not to eat to much before lifting. Other than that, I think it´s just exhaustian. You just go for it and have fun!!