A Glass of Water or a Can of Coke?

Options
Saw this on another site and thought it was worth sharing. Very interesting indeed! Water or Coke? We all know that water is important but I’ve never seen it written down like this before. I know for me this affirms why I gave up all soda over 3 years ago!

WATER
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 30%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the “real thing” sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water or coke?

Replies

• readerandwritergirl
    Options
    Blimey! makes note to self to use Coke for these practical rather than physical reasons and have my go to drinks as either fresh coffee, fresh chlled milk or hot milky water or water.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    These posts always make me want a coke. I like to have a refreshing beverage while I read a ton of pseudo-science and misinformation. It's mostly water and it's delicious.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I tried snorting coke once.

the carbonation almost killed me
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Water vs. Coke

Water

Coke vs Pepsi

COKE
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I tried snorting coke once.

the carbonation almost killed me

BAHAHAHA
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i'd pick water any day, because of the teeth staining.

Now if it's water or [insert clear soda here], the soda would probably win.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That ham recipe sounds delicious, thanks
  • mykawa
    mykawa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    These posts always make me want a coke. I like to have a refreshing beverage while I read a ton of pseudo-science and misinformation. It's mostly water and it's delicious.

I'm with you on that! :drinker:
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That ham recipe sounds delicious, thanks

Its great with root beer too!:laugh:
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options

????Just making it easier, I hate having to jump to websites. ????
    Acid Slip

Claim: The acids in Coca-Cola make it harmful to drink.

FALSE

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2001]

1. In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl . . . Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean.

4. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

5. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

6. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

7. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

8. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan;rap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

9. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, And run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FYI:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It's pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

2. To carry Coca Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly Corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years! Drink up! No joke. Think what coke and other soft drinks do to your teeth on a daily basis. A tooth will dissolve in a cup of coke in 24-48 hours.

Origins: Many of the entries above are just simple household tips involving Coca-Cola, as provided by Joey Green in his 1995 book Polish Your Furniture with Panty Hose and on his web site. That you can cook and clean with Coke is relatively meaningless from a safety standpoint — you can use a wide array of common household substances (including water) for the same purposes; that fact alone doesn't necessarily make them dangerous to ingest. Nearly all carbonated soft drinks contain carbonic acid, which is moderately useful for tasks such as removing stains and dissolving rust deposits (although plain soda water is much better for some of these purposes than Coca-Cola or other soft drinks, as it doesn't leave a sticky sugar residue behind). Carbonic acid is relatively weak, however, and people have been drinking carbonated water for many years with no detrimental

effects.

The rest of the claims offered here are specious. Coca-Cola does contain small amounts of citric acid and phosphoric acid; however, all the insinuations about the dangers these acids might pose to people who drink Coca-Cola ignore a simple concept familiar to any first-year chemistry student: concentration. Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than does orange juice, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail overnight. (Much of the item will dissolve eventually, but after a day or two you'll still have most of the tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy T-bone.)

Besides, the gastric acid in your stomach is much stronger than any of the acids in Coca-Cola, so the acid in Coca-Cola is harmless.

The next time you're stopped by a highway patrolman, try asking him if he's ever scrubbed blood stains off a highway with Coca-Cola (or anything else). If you're lucky, by the time he stops laughing he'll have forgotten about the citation he was going to give you.

Last updated: 8 June 2011

Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2013 by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson.
    This material may not be reproduced without permission.
    snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp#BHs6uy8f52FMkPz4.99
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    True fact: every single person who has ever had a glass of water later died. Bet it happens to you, too!