is eating less than 1,000 calories unhealthy?

Options
Is it healthy to eat less than 1,000 calories? I just started dieting and have yet to eat 1,000 calories in one day. My goal is 1,200 and I am a 5'5 female.

Thank you.

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Yes.

ETA: Epic second post for a year old account.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    yup.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    lol
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Mmmhmm.

ETA: I don't really care if you're feeling special and losing weight on it either. Doesn't mean it's healthy.

This is like the fifth thread I've seen today where people are asking the same thing, wind up getting good information, and then arguing "well, I'm losing weight so you're all wrong" or something.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    i call troll
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on a medi fast supervised by a dr. YES! Add a spoonful of peanut butter or something if you can't meet your goal.:smile:
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    From your profile:

Why I Want To Get In Shape
    ***To be healthy ***
    To not be a fat *kitten*
    *****To develop healthy eating habits for the future*****

Eating less than 1000 calories a day is and does the exact opposite. Figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expediture) and then eat 80% of that number. THAT is a proper caloric intake for losing weight. Healthy, well, that's another story altogether.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    the question was: is it UNHEALTHY?

the answer: YES, it's UNHEALTHY.

(in capital letters because a few people answered your first post with "yes" when I think they meant, no it's NOT healthy.)

Very few people on MFP are going to advocate a less-than-1000 calories per day eating goal, because it's not medically recommended for most adults (bariatric surgery patients are one of the few exceptions; if that's you, you need to work closely with your surgeon and a nutritionist specializing in bariatric patients). That's why the MFP settings will "warn" you if you are netting under a certain number of calories.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Mmmhmm.

ETA: I don't really care if you're feeling special and losing weight on it either. Doesn't mean it's healthy.

This is like the fifth thread I've seen today where people are asking the same thing, wind up getting good information, and then arguing "well, I'm losing weight so you're all wrong" or something.

(You and I were both reading that post from the girl who exercises 2 hours a day but can't find a way to eat 1200 calories, even though she has nothing to do but go to the gym all day)
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    Depends. If you are an extreme morbid obese person you can handle a 1000+ calorie deficit.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    i call troll

watch out or you'll get an email....

Seriously though OP-take a look around the boards, you'll see a TON of posts about why you shouldn't eat under this and why MFP is set up so if it gives you 1200 calories and you work out, you eat the workout calories so you lose weight. Check out this link:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    it's unhealthy. don't do it.

also, I'm willing to bet that the OP set MFP to:

1. Sedentary
    2. 2lbs/week loss.

Which I'm also willing to bet isn't entirely accurate.

scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

go to that site, key in the info and find out a much closer number to what you need to be eating.
    Mmmhmm.

(You and I were both reading that post from the girl who exercises 2 hours a day but can't find a way to eat 1200 calories, even though she has nothing to do but go to the gym all day)
    No doubt. I still can't wrap my mind around that.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options

(in capital letters because a few people answered your first post with "yes" when I think they meant, no it's NOT healthy.)

ha! good catch.

guilty.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

ha! good catch.

guilty.

not really because the topic titled asked it the opposite than the question in the body...so really you could say either...LOL
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you are an extreme morbid obese person you can handle a 1000+ calorie deficit.
    And nothing about the OP's profile would suggest that she is morbidly obese...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Great...another anorexic thread...

Yeah...it's totally healthy...go for it

/sarcasm

1316107798_why_are_you_hitting_yourself.gif
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Mmmhmm.

What I've noticed is that the posts are always started by some early 20s something, and they all take on the tone of "I'm going to do what I want, no matter what you say, so there! And don't try to tell me anything logical, because I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears, stick my tongue out and close my eyes real hard. SO THERE!"
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    X-(
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Great...another anorexic thread...

Yeah...it's totally healthy...go for it

/sarcasm

1316107798_why_are_you_hitting_yourself.gif

Totally stole that.