Confused over BMR calculators

Options
I have used a few different calculators and 1 is tellig me my bmr is around 2000 and the other saying 2600!! I'm really confused now, does anyone know if the most accurate one? As I maybe eating too less or too much right now (I'm trying to lose weight)

Replies

• Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I see most use the Scooby Workshop Calculator. I think it can depend but IMO, that one is a good one to use.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    BMR or TDEE...those look like TDEE numbers to me.

BMR is only based on your sex, age, height, and weight...no activity. You'll get different numbers on different calculators, but only slightly so. Even if you're using the Katch McCardle formula, you'd probably only be about 100 calories different.
  • 22ssingh
    22ssingh Posts: 35
    Options
    BMR or TDEE...those look like TDEE numbers to me.

BMR is only based on your sex, age, height, and weight...no activity. You'll get different numbers on different calculators, but only slightly so. Even if you're using the Katch McCardle formula, you'd probably only be about 100 calories different.

These are my details: sex male, age 21, weight 218 lbs, height 72 inches, Body fat percentage 32.5%

I was eating 1790 cals but upped them to 2040 recently due to this confusion, what seems right before or after?
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    Bump
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options
  • 22ssingh
    Options

I have actually used that one, and it gave me a totally different figure to the scoobys bmr calculator, hence why I'm so confused lol
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Well eat 2600 calories... if you don't lose weight then you obviously know that it's wrong.

So confusing!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    All the calculators are best estimates. Just take the average of them all and go with that. You can finely adjust up/down as you need to after a couple of weeks.

Fat2Fit radio calculator gives your TDEE number in the table at the bottom of the page. Your BMR number is in the blurb higher up the page.
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I have actually used that one, and it gave me a totally different figure to the scoobys bmr calculator, hence why I'm so confused lol

Your BMR on fat2fit is 1813. Your TDEE is:

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job)___________________________________________________2635
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) _____________________________________________3020
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)______________________________________3404
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) _______________________________________________3788
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)___4172
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    All the calculators are best estimates. Just take the average of them all and go with that. You can finely adjust up/down as you need to after a couple of weeks.

Fat2Fit radio calculator gives your TDEE number in the table at the bottom of the page. Your BMR number is in the blurb higher up the page.

Grrrr Sandra you beat me to it, that was my little nugget of advice!! lol. Yeah but, what she said, seriously ^^ Just take an average. I got figures from about 8 diff websites and just used the average figure. I personally don't like guess work though so I bought a fitbit....thats another option....