struggling to get started again

Options
Hi

I could really do with some support.

My life feels like it is in complete chaos at the moment, I am working more than full time in a job I don't particularly enjoy (unfortunately not much else around at the moment), I am studying part time and a fiancee as far apart from me as he can get. I started out the year really well, but then got an infection in a tooth, which resulted in high dose anitbiotics that went on to give me a virus and on top of all this I had a funeral last week. All my great plans came crashing down as I dealt with life but now I am struggling to get back on track.

I am feeling like I am making bad choices regardless of what I do, if I study I feel guilty I should be at the gym and when at the gym feel guilty I should be studying. i know studying is only for a short period of the year so I make that the priority and now I am feeling like I am letting myself down for not making my health the priority.

I have this dream (which feels silly at times) of walking down the aisle in a sexy wedding dress that will make my fiancees eyes pop out, but the effort to get there feels monumental. And with him on the other side of the world at the moment I can't start to plan the wedding so it feels like it is never going to happen.

I think I am just feeling a bit lost, overtired - not sleeping well, stressed, and then guilty about not being about to stay on track here, I know it works, I know I will feel much better being fit again I miss it, I have some really gorgeous clothes in a box that don't fit me that I feel so good in and my confidence is less after gaining the weight. I gained it initially from medication I was taking and I was sure I could budge it once I came off it but that was a few years ago now and I can't use that excuse anymore.

if anyone can give me some suggestions on how to just get started again I would appreciate it, I want it to become the norm to track my food and exercise not the struggle that it is. Also ideas that will make my week easier. If i manage to get back to the gym before work as I hope I will be out of the house at 5.45am and not home again til almost 7pm , with study still to be done after that so I am fairly busy.

Thank you in advance for any help. I know life will be much better once I get this sorted, I will be less tired, I will be able to do all the things I want to try that I am limited now from doing due to my fitness level, and hopefully i will sleep better too.

Replies

• 161cb
    161cb Posts: 2
    Options
    it sounds to me like your trying to fit far too many things into one day!! i myself was going through a very hectic time there not so long ago, between all the crap that was going on! the best thing i would recommend you do is that during Monday to Friday, eat less calories... for example if your tracker is telling you to have a thousand calories try and only eat 800 during the week days, and then instead of trying to fit massive workouts in everyday just get off the bus a few stops early and get a bit of walking in etc in those kind of ways! then during the weekend when you have that bit of extra time, go do your big workouts in the gym and then eat the calories your normally meant to eat! if that doesn't suit you another thing that works for a lot of people is a quick week of eating no carbs! that way you get a quick confidence boost that will help to motivate you to get you back on track!! most importantly get good sleep or else you wont be fit for anything!!
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    I was just thinking that I picked a very stressful time of year to get back on the wagon. HOWEVER, I have no other choice. I've been making excuses for years and in that time, I've lost years of my life. You are worth the effort . If you have to, make a schedule that includes, studying, preparing earthy meals, exercise. That might help you keep track of the "things" in our life.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing here, trying to restart. My set back was my child having medical issues and ultimately being removed from school to be homeschooled because of her medical issues. I am heading to Sturgis in a couple months and although I have no chance of being where I want to be weight wise, I will not be the "fat chick" on the bike. Hang in there! We got this! You can do it!!!
  • sweetsorrow18
    sweetsorrow18 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of struggling with the same thing except I spent the last 4 months not moving and eating like crap because of a huge exam...its finally over, but I wish I had done something those 4 months - either eating healthier or moving 20 mins a day cause now I've got more than my share of weight to loose....and serious lack of motivation....heres what I'm thinking of doing...

1) make small changes - cut out soda one week, junk food the next...make a pact to make one of your meals a salad, 20 mins of some form of exercise a day

2) prepare, prepare, prepare - in your case, extremely important. Make meals ahead of time so you don't resort to junk food while studying

3) don't touch the scale - go by inches and how clothing feels

4) remove the word "weight loss" from my life...replace with "I WANT TO BE HEALTHY" - makes a world of a difference....the loss of something ends when you lose it....being healthy is a life long commitment

Hope I helped!