Vibram Fivefingers sneakers

Options
Even though I've heard great things about these sneakers, I don't see too many people sporting it. I know of only one friend who absolutely loves it and she's a runner (back in nyc). I also notice they've come out with socks to go with it.
I'm really keen on trying them out but would love input from other's who have them.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    they look so stupid to me
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My husband has a pair and he doesn't like them. He thought they'd be really great for running but I guess they turned out to be too thin for his taste. Also he wore them about 2 months and they already had holes in the toes.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You have to get used to using them, you can't just expect to take off running in them. It's really a preference, if you want to feel like you're barefoot running then use them, if not don't. Just keep in mind you feel every little thing like water or rocks.
  • eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Options
    My husband has a pair and he doesn't like them. He thought they'd be really great for running but I guess they turned out to be too thin for his taste. Also he wore them about 2 months and they already had holes in the toes.

Oh no! that's not good news :/
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You'l either love them or hate them. Not much of an in between with this shoe. The only way to knwo is to try them for yourself. I love them for most applications.

It is a very unique experience if nothing else. If you like being barefoot you are more apt to take to them. Either way there is a definite adjustment period involved.

Never try to just take off running in them the first day!!! Trabsition slowly.
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a pair I use strictly for the gym and I love them. I have tried them for running, but only short distances as they take awhile to get used to the new way of running (balls of your feet vice the heels)

One nice thing is I don't have to find socks for te gym anymore..lol
  • eag264
    Options
    You have to get used to using them, you can't just expect to take off running in them. It's really a preference, if you want to feel like you're barefoot running then use them, if not don't. Just keep in mind you feel every little thing like water or rocks.

Ugh, not sure I like to feel rocks or the pavement...but surely on a treadmill it might do fine? oh well.
  • eag264
    Options
    I have a pair I use strictly for the gym and I love them. I have tried them for running, but only short distances as they take awhile to get used to the new way of running (balls of your feet vice the heels)

One nice thing is I don't have to find socks for te gym anymore..lol

haha, they've come out with socks now. but yeah, good to know- thanks
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I have two pair..............one for outside and one for the gym only. I like them both, but still use regular shoes when I go out and about, albeit I wear minimalist shoes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am a lover - I have two pairs: my original pair from three years ago and a pair from last year with a strap for water sports!

However, you will only be comfortable in them if you have the right kind of foot. My partner has flat feet and can't wear them.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    I have a pair but I only use them while doing 30DS in my garage. I have a (fairly) old pair of adidas adiprene that I use for walking/jogging.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I use them in summer. In winter I find them too cold (I don't find them comfortable with socks).

In winter I wear Merrill Barefoot shoes which have the vibram sole. I love them.

As others have said if you want to try them then definitely put in the effort to transition slowly. Personally running barefoot and in minimalist shoes fixed many of the knee problems I was having. There's a LOT of research that suggests much of the beliefs on pronation etc and the shoes that are supposed to stop it are rubbish. That's not to say that the research suggests everyone should be barefoot. It just supports the idea that you should find shoes that work for YOU regardless of what people in running shops etc have said.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have 4 pair and pretty much wear them daily... I do have a few pair of regular shoes too but since wearing them I find it hard to go back to regular shoes... I do have the socks but only use them when I wear one particular pair (My Bikila's). You have to ease into them and allow your feet time to adjust to minimalist style shoes.. Best of Luck
  • eag264
    Options
    Thank you everyone. It's good to see both sides of good and bad. I'll just have to try them for myself one day :-)
  • Apix
    Apix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    try new balance minimus shoes. Same idea w/o looking so stupid :)
  • eag264
    Options
    try new balance minimus shoes. Same idea w/o looking so stupid :)

LOL, thanks. I don't mind looking stupid when I'm skinny, I like to go against the grain. But being overweight, it's one less thing to draw attention :) thanks
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have 4 pair and pretty much wear them daily... I do have a few pair of regular shoes too but since wearing them I find it hard to go back to regular shoes... I do have the socks but only use them when I wear one particular pair (My Bikila's). You have to ease into them and allow your feet time to adjust to minimalist style shoes.. Best of Luck

OMG, hiking shoes and boots are SO HEAVY now!
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Vibram Bikilas!! They are the only things I run in!!!!

Jen

jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There are several companies that make "0mm heel drop" shoes that don't have the toes. I have a pair of Merrell barefoot shoes - not sure of the model but Vibram makes the sole for them but without the toes. I love them.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    they look so stupid to me

TRUTH!!!