Calories Burned Doing Squats - Database Shows ZERO

Options
2»

Replies

• Aes37850
    Options
    I know this is super late post, buttt! I found a different site that calculates different exercise and calories according to weight. With my weight (197lbs) it evens out to about 5.1calories per min. So definitely a small amount. But if agree with another poster about it being nice to know how much you're burning! It's a good feeling. :) it was the first thing that came up when I googled "squats calorie calculator". Hope that helps anyone else coming along this post!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I have found a little time to do squats every day. I do them in the shower while I'm waiting on the water to get warm. {I have a big shower} So far I am up to 45 a day. The good thing about working out in the shower, you are in the shower. Wash that sweat off.
    Larro
  • growtinymuscles
    growtinymuscles Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Seems easier to go out and get a Polar FT4 (this is what I use anyway) and let it track that for you...no calculations, no guessing.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Like others said, that number is really high for regular body weight squats. I doubt you'd burn that much in 15 minutes even if you were doing jump squats.
  • weinerdude
    Options
    I think knowing calories from squats or any strength training exercise is good to know. If you are setting a calorie limit to lose weight with diet and exercise, you want to make sure you are consuming enough calories to give enough energy to your body to burn the extra muscle building and toning work outs
  • eespinosa520
    Options
    I definitely would love to be able to input a number so that I may offset the calories consumed. I did a workout of BW squats followed by uphill sprints and I have no idea what I've burned..
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Seems easier to go out and get a Polar FT4 (this is what I use anyway) and let it track that for you...no calculations, no guessing.

How do you think the Polar generates a calorie number?

Hint: through calculations and guessing
  • anthonyiorio88
    Options
    MFP doesn't estimate calories for ANYTHING added into the strength section. It's there mostly for reference and tracking of weight/sets/reps, not calories burned.

From the Help section:

"Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate. "

Great post. That pretty much sums it up, it is extremely difficult to draw calorie expenditure figures from strength based activity. The good thing is that squats provide much more for you than a simple calorie burn. They build muscle, effectively work your entire body, and have the largest hormone release of any other exercise which allows you to burn fat for longer periods of time.
  • domdupjill
    Options
    That being said.. are you really doing 15 minutes of straight squats.. Like it does sound high but doesn't seem too ridiculous
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    That being said.. are you really doing 15 minutes of straight squats.. Like it does sound high but doesn't seem too ridiculous

I do 80 squats in 2 minutes most days. And it is always the most intense 2 minutes of my workout day. There is no way I could do 15 minutes of them. That would be 600 squats. I think my 2 minutes show up as 39 calories burned. I don't care how small that sounds. As tough as they are to do, I'm logging it.
  • MaxVonMagnus
    Options
    Hi, new member here and I've been looking to have this question answered for a while. In fact, it's one of the reasons I registered. I'd like to know what weight to use when calculating calories burned for exercises like renegade rows, stationary cycling, rowing machine etc.? I'm 230 lbs but my body fat percentage is 28. So do I input my lean muscle mass (~165) or my total weight (230) in the online calculators? And btw, how bad is a VO2max of 30 for a 24 year old male?
  • sweetmarisa
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/315265-how-many-calories-do-you-lose-from-100-squats/

I found this on LIVESTRONG.com - it seems much more realistic.

Calories Burned Formula
    How Many Calories Can You Burn From 100 Squats?
    Add weights to increase the intensity of your workout - a fitness website, explains that you can estimate the number of calories you burn during exercise with this formula: (METs x 3.5 x weight in kilograms ÷ 200) x duration in minutes = calories burned. METs, or metabolic equivalent units, represent your intensity level.

The Compendium of Physical Activities Tracking Guide, developed by Stanford University professor William L. Haskell, is a list of activities and MET values. Squats have a MET value of 8.0, if you are working out rigorously — like doing 100 squats in just a few minutes. If it takes you more than 10 minutes to do 100 squats, your MET value will be closer to 3.5.
    Metablic Equivalent Units

If you weigh 135 pounds and do 100 squats in five minutes with a METs value of 8.0, you will burn about 43 calories. If you do 100 squats in 10 minutes, while weighing 135 pounds, with a METs value of 3.5, you will burn 37 calories.
  • mariepotpourri
    mariepotpourri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/315265-how-many-calories-do-you-lose-from-100-squats/

I found this on LIVESTRONG.com - it seems much more realistic.

Calories Burned Formula
    Add weights to increase the intensity of your workout - a fitness website, explains that you can estimate the number of calories you burn during exercise with this formula: (METs x 3.5 x weight in kilograms ÷ 200) x duration in minutes = calories burned. METs, or metabolic equivalent units, represent your intensity level.

The Compendium of Physical Activities Tracking Guide, developed by Stanford University professor William L. Haskell, is a list of activities and MET values. Squats have a MET value of 8.0, if you are working out rigorously — like doing 100 squats in just a few minutes. If it takes you more than 10 minutes to do 100 squats, your MET value will be closer to 3.5.
    Metablic Equivalent Units

If you weigh 135 pounds and do 100 squats in five minutes with a METs value of 8.0, you will burn about 43 calories. If you do 100 squats in 10 minutes, while weighing 135 pounds, with a METs value of 3.5, you will burn 37 calories.

you're right; that looks much more reasonable. i also found this: http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thin people don't spend all day wondering how many extra calories they burned by taking the stairs or what speed they should log their shopping trip at. They just live, probably a fairly active life, and they eat, probably not as much as you think.

Do squats for the fitness, the muscle, the feeling good instead of worrying about finding a formula to figure out how much it might burn.

Lots of us aren't "thin people". We're here because we are still learning how much food is "probably not as much as I think".