I'm confused about avocados.

Options
2»

Replies

• ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale and measure the actual amount of avocado you used. Then use this site to find it:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

For avocado you should find:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2176?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=avocado

If you used 50 grams of avocado, put "0.5" in the column that says "per 100g" and click "apply changes."

You'll get about 84 calories.

Food scale is important. Buy one. You can get them cheap.

To lose weight, keep your calorie intake at your goal. And make sure to get enough protein and exercise.

Thank you for that site!!
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you my personal experience. I was a raw vegan (just fruits, veggies, & nuts) for 5 years and guess what? I was overweight the WHOLE TIME. I could not lose weight for the life of me. No one understood how I could stay overweight eating salad three times a day and only fruits and veggies. Well, after I changed my diet and found MFP, I logged one of my salads with Avocado's mashed up for dressing (2-3 salads a day!) or tahini dressing (sesame seed paste) and I saw with my own eyes what was keeping me overweight! I think I was eating 2000 calories a day just in avocados and tahini! So yes, it might hinder your weight loss but only if you overindulge. It's just like anything else, you still have to count the calories. I would weigh them.

How many were you eating a day?

2 or 3 a day...LOL...it was the only fatty thing I was eating, so I mashed one up for every salad. I think 1 a day is FINE, just wanted to point out that you still have to count the calories in them. :)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital kitchen scale for $10 so it's possible to get one without investing a lot. It was at a surplus store. I use it a lot. If I bake I prefer recipes that give you the ingredients in grams. Way more precise.

I had no idea that a scale would make baking measurements more precise. I bake almost every weekend. I think the scale would be good for more then one reason.

You are going to be amazed at how much you're underestimating what's going in your baked goods. I was...flour, oats, sugar...all underestimated by probably 15-30%. Those calories can add up fast!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale and measure the actual amount of avocado you used. Then use this site to find it:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

For avocado you should find:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2176?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=avocado

If you used 50 grams of avocado, put "0.5" in the column that says "per 100g" and click "apply changes."

You'll get about 84 calories.

Food scale is important. Buy one. You can get them cheap.

To lose weight, keep your calorie intake at your goal. And make sure to get enough protein and exercise.
    ^^This^^ wins.

Cereal is a real eye opener too.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital kitchen scale for $10 so it's possible to get one without investing a lot. It was at a surplus store. I use it a lot. If I bake I prefer recipes that give you the ingredients in grams. Way more precise.

I had no idea that a scale would make baking measurements more precise. I bake almost every weekend. I think the scale would be good for more then one reason.

My sister has formal training as a pastry chef and she always uses a scale for her baking. It's so much more accurate than using cup measures - regardless of how packed or loose your flour is, you'll always be sure how much you've got, as opposed to when you're using a cup. And frankly, changing the scale of a recipe that's in grams is so much easier than trying to remember how many tbsp go into a cup.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I weigh and go by the gram.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I did what was suggested and bought a kitchen scale last night. You guys were right. So much easier. I have no idea how I went without one.
    Thanks again.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    its a delicious fruit,

but its sizes are so varied, last week i bought some they are the size of a big apple, this week they were on sale, but they were the little ones
    i scooped a couple out the other day , 1 of the big ones was (visually) about the same amount as 2 and 1/2 of the little ones ...
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    its a delicious fruit,

but its sizes are so varied, last week i bought some they are the size of a big apple, this week they were on sale, but they were the little ones
    i scooped a couple out the other day , 1 of the big ones was (visually) about the same amount as 2 and 1/2 of the little ones ...

I know what you mean. But as everyone is saying a scale is a handy thing to have. I'm still a little freaked out by the calorie content of one though. But they say it's good fat so... I guess I shouldn't be too scared of them.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    its a delicious fruit,

I know what you mean. But as everyone is saying a scale is a handy thing to have. I'm still a little freaked out by the calorie content of one though. But they say it's good fat so... I guess I shouldn't be too scared of them.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2