daily sugar goal question

Options
gypsy102
gypsy102 Posts: 14 Member
Hi, I am new to MFP, I have 25 consecutive days logged in and I have been exercising and losing since Jan. Up to 18 lbs so far!!!

I am addicted to orange juice. I don't drink coffee or tea, but I have to have my orange juice in the morning. I used to have at least 2-3 glasses a day. I have cut it down to one serving, of 8 oz. This contains 22 g of sugar!! My goal according to MFP is 31 g per day! So, I have almost reached that before I even walk out the door in the morning.

Needless to say, I have gone over in sugar every day. Is 31 g per day too low, or is it a reasonable goal? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!!

Jen

Replies

• jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Congrats on logging for over a month--that's awesome! Sadly, orange juice (as are most juices) are loaded with sugar. I get 31 grams a day too--and if I have a V8 or fruit with my bfast, I, too, have already used most of my sugar grams on bfast.

I DO think 31 is doable--my personal opinion is that sugar is one of the key factors in not losing weight unless you are in the gym doing major workouts of 2 hours or more a day.

One day at a time. Calories followed by sugar are my priority and I know that I will eventually find a reasonable balance with all the nutrients in my diet.

Good luck!
  • dgrebin
    dgrebin Posts: 3
    Options
    I would suggest finding low-sugar orange juice. Just found one online. Tropicana light and Healthy orange juice, and it only has 10 grams of sugar!!
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My daily quota is 24!!!!! That is next to impossible!!! I have heard some people say that they don't 'count' natural sugar from a fruit in it's natural form (apple, orange), but you have to in juice format. Definitely, if my sugar counts are above my max. I can guarantee I will not experience the weight loss - even if I am in the gym, or logging exercise somehow. All in moderation....
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I agree I'm not concerned with natural sugars ( ie from apples and oranges) as long as their in their natural form and not processed like they are in juices.
  • lovmykids
    lovmykids Posts: 51
    Options
    I am still new to MFP where does it even tell you your sugar limits?
  • Dara80
    Dara80 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know this horrible but I don't even bother with my sugar quota. I put all my food in the tracker in the morning and stick with it. I do try to make sure that I get my daily percentages but I don't worry about going over. I have yet to have a week where I didn't lose...well at least a week where I was well behaved and didn't lose! LOL
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    I am a OJ snob. I love me some OJ. I am the same as you. Right now, I am not drinking OJ and it is killing me, KILLING ME.

Ok, having said that... one thing I did before giving it up momentarily... was dilute it 1/2 OJ, 1/2 water. I drink only fresh squeezed. I love good OJ like most people like good coffee. It has to be my brand, my way, or NO THANKS.

If 1/2 and 1/2 is too weak, start out with 3/4 juice and 1/4 water, you will save some sugars there... and gradually go down to 1/2 and 1/2. Before you know it, you will not miss full strength, and when you have it, it will be really sweet to you.

I drink 1 1/2 gallon jug a week, dilluted 1/2 and 1/2, when I am on the stuff...

Ohhhhhh, OJ, I miss you!!!!
  • gypsy102
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your helpful ideas!! I can't believe I never thought of low sugar OJ!!! I may try the diluted also, just see how it is. But I loooove my OJ.....plus, it's good for you, right??? ;)
  • gypsy102
    Options
    Thanks so much! I will try that!
  • gypsy102
    Options
    On the iphone app, which is where I usually log on, it is on the home page if you scroll down. All of your daily totals are listed.

On the web, the only thing I could find was under reports, then nutrition, then sugar. But it doesn't tell you the goal, only what you have consumed. Not sure how to find the daily allowances on here.

Anyone know?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You're moving in the right direction if you have cut back from 3 glasses to 1 per day. Maybe you could get down to half a glass with your breakfast...it shouldn't be too hard to incorporate that into your plan. :)

If you buy frozen concentrate, try mixing in an extra can of water. I've always done that, and found it's still very enjoyable.
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    You have to change what items you are tracking... I think you go to home, settings.... you should be able to change it to what you want to track...

I track fat, carbs, protein, salt, and sugar.
  • PurplePumpkin
    Options
    Personally I would cut out sugar from other parts of my diet, OJ isn't just sugar it has soooo much goodness associated with it, it much better to cut out some carbs such as bread, pasta or sweet if you are allowed them!!! :)
    It one of your daily portions (but only 1, having 2 glasses doesn't count as 2 portions!!)

Doing your own orange juicing is so much more rewarding, plus you burn a crap load more calories than just picking up the box from the fridge and pouring it! It is more expensive though.

Another note, most people can consume 90g of sugar a day, which is 360kcal, 31g is quite low in my option, depending on what you eat, just about all carbs have sugar in them!!! In fact I can't think of any food, drink, or what ever that doesn't have some sugar where carbs are.

Who ever said that the sugar in OJ is processed you are half right! The OJ in total is processed, that why it can sit in the cupboard for months rather than going off!!! And the stuff in the fridge sections are processed, otherwise it would have like a 3 day shelf life!!
    The only way to avoid any processing is to make it yourself!!