? about activity levels and IPOARM

Options
My cal intake is set at TDEE -20% and I selected lightly active since I've had to really scale back on the intensity of my workouts thanks to a hip injury. This week there are no workouts planned due to the nature of the injury. Thing is, I'm starving. I go to bed hungry every night. The last three days I've made an effort to try to increase protein intake to see if that helps, and I'm hitting around 100gms of protein a day (it should be a higher if I hit my macros....I'm slowly trying to get there) and I'm just as hungry the last three nights. I wear a fitbit to track my daily activity and I hit 8000+ steps a day, often more, just from daily activity. I'm wondering if I should calculate based on a higher activity level? Any ideas?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and goals?
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 6" I'm currently 189 lbs, trying to first get to 178 then reassess. But overall goal is 160.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary. My best advice is to pick quality over quantity if you are feeling full. You are set at 1700 cals. I can pack in a ton of food for 1700 calories. Adding in more fruits and veggies will increase your fiber, which is filling, and you can fit in way more veggies for 120 cals, than say a pudding cup. (Or sub a greek yogurt for the pudding. Same calories, same texture, way more protein therefore more filling. I find the Oikos brand of the latte, key lime, or orange creme are a great sub for a dessert). Btw, I am NOT criticizing your food choices. Just pointing out that there are other ways to stay within your calories and not be hungry.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    My cal intake is set at TDEE -20% and I selected lightly active since I've had to really scale back on the intensity of my workouts thanks to a hip injury. This week there are no workouts planned due to the nature of the injury. Thing is, I'm starving. I go to bed hungry every night. The last three days I've made an effort to try to increase protein intake to see if that helps, and I'm hitting around 100gms of protein a day (it should be a higher if I hit my macros....I'm slowly trying to get there) and I'm just as hungry the last three nights. I wear a fitbit to track my daily activity and I hit 8000+ steps a day, often more, just from daily activity. I'm wondering if I should calculate based on a higher activity level? Any ideas?

TDEE means you should not be eating back exercise BUT the problem is that you are NOT netting your 1700....

Starting from April 1st...
    Week NET 1585 (not enough)

This week you are doing better with hitting your NET. Keep it up. Also, do you walk the same number of steps every day? I have a FitBit also but I have calculated my TDEE on sedentary and eat back ALL my exercise because I don't do exactly the same every day. With TDEE you need to be doing exactly the same amount of exercise daily - if you aren't you may need to add a few more calories on the days that you do more.
  • merflan
    Options
    OK that makes sense. No, I don't move the same every day. Some days I'm doing a desk job, other days I'm running the clinic (nurse), and literally running on those days! My gym days I go much higher, but won't have any of those days.

I guess I'm confused....I haven't been eating back the cals from my fitbit because I set my cal goal to TDEE-20%. But essentially, what you are saying is that I should be eating them back???
  • merflan
    Options
    Anyone??
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Might reread her comment, she's doing you might say non-exercise TDEE, - 20%, and then eating back exercise FitBit reflects in the adjustments.

Might call that MFP style, but instead of a block goal of 250, 500, 750, 1000, using a reasonable 20%.

Then TDEE deficit style you were doing, with intended and planned exercise already included in there.
  • merflan
    Options
    Thanks.

The pudding keeps me from all the crap that is around work. If I know I have a treat of my own available to eat after lunch, I don't have an excuse to eat the endless amounts of timbits, chocolates and cupcakes that parents bring into work for us. Its a mental trick for me.