I keep waking up hungry!

Options
If I don't eat wayyy over my daily allotted calories I always wake up at around 1-3am feeling starved. No matter what I eat I always wake up at that time! I've been on about a 1200 calorie diet.

I've been having trouble sleeping since quitting smoking weed. The exercise does help, as I run about 3.5 miles 5 days a week.

I've tried taking lots of melatonin and tylenol pm to stay asleep but I almost always wake up anyways. This has never happened to me when I smoked weed and it almost made losing weight easier.

It's throwing my diet out of whack and making losing just 7 lbs a living hell for me. I've been recovered from anorexia for quite some time now but I feel disgusting at this weight, like I can't stand the sight of myself.

It makes me hate myself to feel like I can't do this, it just feels so stupid!

What should I do??

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without knowing your stats or seeing your diary. How did you come up with 1200 calories? And are you eating your exercise calories back?

If you're actually waking up in the middle of the night because you're so hungry, your body is probably trying to tell you that it needs more food.
  • BrookieHatesCookies
    BrookieHatesCookies Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The fitness calculator on here came up with 1200 calories for me! But that is even a little bit higher than I usually eat when I'm trying to lose. I'm 5' even and 107 lb.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. You are not eating enough. Here is a link that may help you. It is long but important info. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Keep smoking weed then?

edit. I just read about the anorexia. Why are you trying to lose weight? Those 7 lbs are probably all in your head.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Smoke more. Problem solved.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The fitness calculator on here came up with 1200 calories for me! But that is even a little bit higher than I usually eat when I'm trying to lose. I'm 5' even and 107 lb.

You probably don't need to lose anymore. Eat at maintenance; go back to smoking; lift weights.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Plan your food so that you can have some protein and some fiber right before you go to bed. Nothing too big - a hard boiled egg on a whole wheat piece of toast, maybe. Anything, really, as long as it's heavy protein and heavy fiber. Both things take a while to digest, so I'm thinking they'll help you sleep through the night. Worth a shot. And, if you plan your calories throughout the day, you should have enough for nighttime. Don't drop under 1200 calories, though. That'll make it that much rougher.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I go to bed starving to death and I just deal with it. Growling stomach does not mean you HAVE to eat. Just sleep it off.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Damn, Elliot Hussle had a vid about this too. I forgot the name, will link you if I remember.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    MFP will assign 1200 calories if you don't have much to lose and plug in an aggressive weekly weight loss goal. It does this simply because it goes by the information you give it and will not assign a calorie goal any lower than 1200 for liability reasons. MFP is also designed for you to net your calorie goal and eat back your exercise calories.

Even though you're small, 1200 calories still may not be enough for you. With only 7 pounds to lose, your weekly weight loss goal should be half a pound per week.

But since you've suffered from an eating disorder in the past, your metabolism may be different than it otherwise would be. A doctor would definitely be able to better assess your metabolic needs and give you a better idea of what your goals should be.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

You probably don't need to lose anymore. Eat at maintenance; go back to smoking; lift weights.
    This but without drugs. Marijuana raises that evil little hormone called estrogen. Estrogen = bad. Lift and eat. No drugs.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I go to bed starving to death and I just deal with it. Growling stomach does not mean you HAVE to eat. Just sleep it off.
    Hmmm I don't think it's wise to tell someone recovering from an eating disorder that being hungry doesn't mean she has to eat. Just sayin'.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Eat more, starvation causes insomnia in many cases, especially in females. Forget this magic number, you clearly need to be working on what is going on in your head, not your body. And you will not feel like a fitness model doing what you are doing. They are not on 1200 calorie diets, I can assure you. They work on body fat and muscle, over weight loss.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options

Why would you go to bed starving? Why would you not just save a few calories for later at night and have a snack? It doesn't make you fat to eat at night.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

Stupid advice for anyone, let alone someone with a history of eating disorders. Seriously. And a growling stomach should not be ignored as that usually is a sign of genuine hunger.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'd say up your calories to 1500 or 1600 and use those extra cals for at night. Usually I'm opposed to eating so late, but I think you'll be fine, I would never say go back to smoking, but to put me to sleep all night, sometimes I used to do my workout later a night so it would tire me out. I'd sleep through the whole night :)
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wake up hungry in the middle of the night and its enough to stop me falling back to sleep. My solution, a small glass of milk - fills you up enough to get you through the rest of the night, not huge in calories and has the added bonus of making you sleepy.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Fact is. If people are waking up as a result of hunger, common sense dictates they are doing something wrong. Lack of sleep and interrupted sleep can impact weight loss negatively also. I have some greek yoghurt and a piece of fruit with a low calorie hot chocolate before bed.
  • Maridonna
    Maridonna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am by NO means an expert. I am just a Zumba instructor who teaches 8 classes a week. I never weight myself, and if I do, I just shrug it off. It's just a waste of time to get on the scale..
    The Body Mass Index (fat vs lean body mass=muscles) is the only thing I care about. I'm at 18% (low) and you know what? I am 5'1" and weigh 125 lb. I am a size 4 and I love it. My students ask me WHAT DO I DO to have such a great body.

Your 107 lbs are worrisome. Your starvation is scary. I would like to know... how on earth do you have energy to run 3.5 miles almost daily?? With so little calories (my intake is minimum 1400/day) there is NO WAY you will EVER lose weight.

I am a certified group exercise Aerobics instructor by the American Fitness Aerobics Association. I studied nutrition, physiology, anatomy, among other topics. I can ASSURE you, that you are NOT losing fat when you are doing what you are doing. Your body is in a state of catabolism (google that) so very soon, everyone who is starving AND depriving themselves will eventually give up.

And you know why? Because your body is not damn. We are programmed by nature to survive. I would strongly encourage you to seek professional help. Good luck and blessings to you. Trust me, the route to successful weight loss is not THAT hard.

The MORE YOU EAT THE MORE YOU'LL LOSE-- of course, given you exercise.

Best wishes again.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon. You may be having a relapse of anorexia. I think you should ralley up your support team. Like whoever helped you the first time. Call them up and tell them what's going on or find someone you really trust because I'm hearing some red flags in your post. Take care!!:smile: