Who likes math? Halp. Caloric stuff...

I have GOT to get this right and I may require a little guidance! I'm currently "lost in the woods"

So I've used online calculators for TDEE, BMR, NET cal, etc. They all tell me different things and I'm still trying to understand what I need to close my aim on for a daily NET intake. I don't know why this is such a challenge for me to figure out. Sheesh.

So, I'm 5'6", 176lb, US size 16-18, 27 years old.
Goal: 140-150lb, size 8ish.

I work a sedentary desk job and work out at my 24-hour gym at night after work. I am not on a 9-5 schedule, but I have altered my schedule enough to make it as normal as possible.

Exercise: At work? None, obviously.
Mondays: Incline hiking outdoors with some interval jogging/walking on the way down from the climb. (Burn average: 650cal)
Tuesday-Thursday im in the gym, 1 hour per day of cardio. Elliptical and treadmill. I have to stay off the bikes due to a prior knee dislocation (ouch.) but I am able to ride a non-stationary bicycle. (Burn average: 450-500cal)
Friday- 1 hour of what I consider intense yoga (Bob Harper - Yoga for the warrior) for strength and flexibility. (Burn average: 280cal.)
Saturday: Rest day, normal errand-running/chore activity.
Sunday: Another Bob Harper 1 hour cardio DVD from the biggest loser collection.

My diet is HORRIBLE. I am planning a great big overhaul of my daily diet tomorrow to fix all of the atrocious problems. But, I could really use some help with finding out what I need to NET every day so I can do my best to aim for that.

Sorry for a long post. I hope this was accurate, needed information. If you have a moment to spare, can you help me figure out "My" number? MUCH appreciated!!

Note: I monitor my caloric burns with a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor.

Thank youuuuu!

EDIT: According to a website calculator, my BMR is 1598 and my TDEE is 2756. I understand that, but this is where I get stuck as to how much to physically intake, and then after burns from working out, what my NET should result. o.O

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I ran your numbers through the tools that I use at Fat2Fit, and used the method advised in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0 Basically the difference is rather than entering your current weight and goal weight, you put current weight into both boxes, in order to get your current BMR and TDEE.

So based on what you posted,

Harris-Benedict formula BMR - 1604
    TDEE Moderately Active - 2486
    TDEE Lightly Active - 2206

So you don't want to eat below your BMR, because that's basically coma calories and you aren't in a coma, so you need more than that. :wink: It rarely happens, but if I have a long run or unusually high burn from a workout, I always make sure my net cals are at least above my BMR.

So, finding daily goal:

Moderate: 2486 - 20% = 1988
    Light: 2206 - 20% = 1765

So, decide which activity level best suits your activities - and having a desk job doesn't make you sedentary - you are working out and active 6 days a week! :smile: If you're not sure what to choose, make it easy and go in between the two levels and choose 1800 for your daily calorie goal. Since exercise is already figured into the equation, you don't eat back exercise cals. Eat to goal, or close to it, every day, even on your rest days.

Stick with this for 4-6 weeks, taking measurements and photos along the way to check progress, and reevaluate if necessary at that time.

You might also see better results if you add some resistance work in your workouts rather than so much cardio - dumbbells, body weight stuff - can make a big difference.
  • I FINALLY understand.

Your answer totally made my day. Thank you!!!