Good Protien Sources for Vegans?

Options
I'm new to veganism and I'm having a hard time finding lean protein sources!!
What are some good low-fat, high-protein foods? All I can find are various forms of soy.

And any other vegans that have had any success at buidling muscle please let me know how you did it! haha

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Beans?
  • JustMQ
    JustMQ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lentils and quinoa.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    isopure protein powder. 50 grams for a serving.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Beans, nuts (not low fat, but you want some fat), seeds, quinoa, tofu.
    Google is high in vegan protein search results, too.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Spirulina
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Tofu, lentils, beans, nuts :-)
  • BrookieHatesCookies
    BrookieHatesCookies Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Spirulina

Spirulina is a protein source..?? I do use a lot of spirulina powder in smoothies regularly but I'm not sure how well that helps to build muscle?
  • celinarae94
    celinarae94 Posts: 131
    Options
    beans, lentils, chickpeas (hummus), nuts, tofu

livestrong.com has a good list of sources for protein for vegan diets
  • hamasehfallah
    Options

^^ i dont think you understand what Vegan means? It means no animal products. Isopure protein is a why product, which comes from milk. Aka not vegan.

anywaaaayss, I was vegan for 2 years. I got my protein through soy milk (i know they say soy is bad for you but i had 1 serving a day for 2 years and never noticed any bad side effects. i think its fine in moderation)

1) quinoa
    2) beans
    3) oatmeal (steel cut has more protein)
    4) Vega Sport Protein (perfect post workout with some soy or almond milk and fruit)
    5) Vega nutritional shakes
    6) spinach

honestly the only way i was able to get enough protein for an active individual while being vegan was to supplement through plant based shakes that i bought from whole foods. Though it does get expensive, fast. Also consider taking an iron supplement (or eating a lot of spinach - try blending it into fruit smoothies, you cant taste it) and getting b-12 shots. I say shots and not vitamins because b-12 shots are more effective.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This is a little off-topic, but you might want to check out the book "Scott Jurek: Eat and Run". He is a vegan ultra-runner who wins crazy races that can sometimes take 24 hours to complete. He has done than while being vegan. His book includes some of his favorite recipes.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options

^^ i dont think you understand what Vegan means? It means no animal products. Isopure protein is a why product, which comes from milk. Aka not vegan.

anywaaaayss, I was vegan for 2 years. I got my protein through soy milk (i know they say soy is bad for you but i had 1 serving a day for 2 years and never noticed any bad side effects. i think its fine in moderation)

1) quinoa
    2) beans
    3) oatmeal (steel cut has more protein)
    4) Vega Sport Protein (perfect post workout with some soy or almond milk and fruit)
    5) Vega nutritional shakes
    6) spinach

honestly the only way i was able to get enough protein for an active individual while being vegan was to supplement through plant based shakes that i bought from whole foods. Though it does get expensive, fast. Also consider taking an iron supplement (or eating a lot of spinach - try blending it into fruit smoothies, you cant taste it) and getting b-12 shots. I say shots and not vitamins because b-12 shots are more effective.

OMG! I feel so silly. I can't believe I forgot about the fact that its whey protein. So sorry! big whoops.