Going gluten free

Options
JuniperT
JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
So my fiance had a biopsy done and one of the results came back inconclusive for celiacs so the doctor wants him to go gluten free for a month and see if that helps the situation out. We're a supportive family, so we're all going to do this but I have no clue where to start. Can I please get some help or pointers as to where to start looking for proper information, recipes, etc? I am going to sit down and google when I have more time but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• Lunete
    Lunete Posts: 3
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is find an all encompassing list of what ingredients are gluten free. There are some that are pretty surprising. This is a pretty good one: http://www.gluten-free-today.com/list-of-gluten-free-foods.html

Secondly, my best advice is just not to give up (especially when food comes out tasting weird or you buy something which tastes bad). There are a ton of bad gluten free stuff out there but there are a lot of good stuff as well. My favorite GF brands are Katz, Shabtai, Schar (best rolls and french bread!), Udi's, and Kinnikinnick. Some are higher on calories but for the most part, I'm able to fit them into a healthy diet. Schar bread is about the best tasting GF bread I've had (you will have to toast it or finish baking it for the parbaked rolls). Katz has some fantastic cookies (around 30 calorie moon shaped vanilla cookies are my favorites). Shabtai has some lovely desserts (high calorie, though). Udi's and Kinnikinnick both have an assortment of food. They're good but not my favorites.

The good thing is, a lot more stores are carrying Gluten Free things.

You also may find this website helpful: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/how-to-go-g-free.html

If you need or want any suggestions for specific GF foods, I'd be happy to help out as best as I can.
  • Palrn
    Palrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The Wheat Belly Diet is a very interesting book and web site. It goes beyond Gluten but I have been trying to avoid wheat. They have a cookbook and I found a gluten free slow cooker cookbook on Amazon. Like a lot of things, the longer I am wheat free the less I want wheat. and this from a donut, store bakery lover! I always knew I could not trust myself with bread in the house so I usually did not have it but I made up for it with other wheat products. The hidden wheat is the hardest thing to manage for me.