Panic Disorder and Exercise?

Options
Does anyone else here have panic attacks? I have been scared to exercise since they started back in March of last year.

I can walk without much problem but as my heart rate starts to climb I start freaking out and feel as if a panic attack is coming on.

Just curious if anyone else deals with these and how they work exercise with it or around it.

Jen

Replies

• HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think I do have anxiety/panic attacks. It is really hard to workout when this is happening. One day this past week when this happened a friend happened to call me and we worked out together on the phone which ended up making me feel much better!! You will feel much better after you workout as hard as it is!!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety attacks and found the more I work out, the less likely I am to have them. A workout buddy might be a good idea though or if your heart rate is bothering you, get an HRM to monitor your heart rate. It probably feels worse than it actually is.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Physical activity will make it better, not worse.

I come off beta blockers when I'm regularly working out.
  • DBarnes5308
    Options
    edited to reflect the fact that this is not my account. Co-worker still logged in and I didn't notice. :huh:
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have experienced anxiety when exercising. I find it happened more when I first started, when I try new things, when I am pushing myself harder than I have before, and when I feel strain on my neck (which can trigger migraines).

What worked for me was to attend group classes and trust the instructor to watch out for me (helped me build confidence with my form), find programs to follow like C25K trusting the program (lots of other people have followed this plan and it worked for them which means I can also make that next goal), and take time to breathe.

Good luck. It gets easier.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    ok right account. Alot of times when you exercise, it mimics a panic attack. As your body adjusts it can actually learn to deal with the non-panic attack heart rate elevations and decrease the occurrences of your panic attacks as it adjusts. Just personal experience, not a doctor or anything.
  • Csengure
    Csengure Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes, but keeping active keeps the anxiety and panic tamped down quite nicely, for me. Part of the fluttery heartbeat panic attack freakout is being hyper-aware of my heartbeat. It may not be any higher than usual, but I just pay more attention to it when I'm getting out of control. I've learned to stop what I'm doing and take my pulse if I need to, just to assure myself that I'm not going to drop dead at any moment.
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't quite what you are asking, but I hope that this helps you or someone else. I have seen many patients who have panic attacks that have successfully recovered quite quickly from the panic attacks, through cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). If you are interested, you could see a therapist for some short-term CBT. There is a link here to some self-help resources that may be worth reading on how to cope with panic attacks, and it may help a little http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=44
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have panic attacks and exercise helps. I don't have them as often anymore. The more you get comfortable with exercising the easier it will be. If you start getting anxious tell yourself that everything is ok and that you have nothing to worry about. Think about something positive to change your focus.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the helpful replies. You guys really made me feel more comfortable with the idea and that I'm not quite as alone. You don't meet people with panic disorders often and ones who don't have them can't seem to understand.

I am going to start slow, with some nice walking, and try to move my way up into the more strenuous stuff.

Thank you again!! :flowerforyou:
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are so completely understand! When I first started MFP and exercising 3 years ago I would have a lot of anxiety while walking on the treadmill. Not quite a panic attack but almost. It's a terrible feeling!

I agree with the person above who recommended cognitive behavioural therapy - it totally worked for me. I learned techniques to redirect the thoughts that would run in my head that led to panic attacks and used them while working out and the anxiety has disappeared.

On Monday I did something that I didn't think possible and attended my first ever bootcamp and worked out harder than I ever have before. About 30 minutes into the 1 hour class, when my heart rate was pretty high I felt that old familiar panic start to surface (the "oh my god I can't breathe I'm going to die" feeling) but was able to refocus and got through it. I was SO happy!!!

Best of luck to you, and don't despair, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!