do you only work out when you're working out?

Options
or do you try to fit little bits into your day?

such as, i'll do upright pushups against a table while i'm waiting for the microwave to ping,
or i'll do a few squats or lunges as i'm walking from one room to another.

my house has randomly placed kettlebells & dumbbells in various rooms,
just in case i get the sudden urge to pick one up between folding laundry & making a drink.

Replies

• RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Walking around with and carrying my daughter around is pretty much it for me outside of an actual workout.
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 30 day squat challenge so i do squats every morning
    i walk to and from work so that is 40 minutes in total
    and then i go to the gym at least 3 times a week so i guess i get other exercise in, without being at the gym or "working out"..
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Walking around with and carrying my daughter around is pretty much it for me outside of an actual workout.
    babies are great weights! they think it's a fun game and they get slightly heavier every day.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I constantly get the urge to do a random movement. Countertop/wall pushups, body-weight squats, or just an odd boogie here and there. I don't count calories for those but they do help ease sore muscles from when I play with weights.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do it all day long. :) I take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk at a brisk pace, do dips and random exercises when I have a free second to strengthen muscles little by little. I feel like I should take every opportunity to help myself further towards my goals.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Nothing can take the place of the gym for me, because I lift some heavy *kitten* weights. (Ronnie Coleman voice)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If I had a lady friend perhaps I could count that as circuit training.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I take the stairs when I can...
  • smileitconfusespeople
    Options
    I do squats or calf raises while i brush my teeth.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I constantly get the urge to do a random movement. Countertop/wall pushups, body-weight squats, or just an odd boogie here and there. I don't count calories for those but they do help ease sore muscles from when I play with weights.

Lol, this is me in my office. And then when colleagues inevitably walk past and find me standing at my desk (I react very quickly), I just look at them like "What? I like standing at my desk. You got a problem?" Lol XD
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I also try to take the stairs when I can. If I go to London I try to take the stairs up from the underground- that a workout in itself, especially when I pick a random stranger to race against!

Occasionally I'll have a little spurt of energy and just dance randomly (dancing in the loosest sense of the word)

I also try to walk at a fast pace, usually 4mph
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    :happy:

these are the things that pop into my mind whenever people say they don't have the time or money or will power to exercise. every little helps! my family may laugh and scoff when i do a few random lunges in the middle of a conversation, but i'm not bothered.

i have a punchbag hanging from one corner of my four poster bed, and a pull up bar between the kitchen and the lounge.
    ...though 99% of the time i have a 12y/o boy dangling from the pull up bar, in various mankey-like positions, so i don't get as much use from it.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    yes, as I walk approx 2 mi a day (according to my pedometer) at the shop. And usually up and down numerous flights of stairs all day long also. And I always walk at a brisk pace. Most people can not keep up with me, always asking me to slow down. I tell them to speed up instead....
    And I am on my feet most of the day , constantly in motion doing something ....

Sometimes I will walk out to my steel rack and pick up a random piece of bar stock or steel tubing and start doing curls or squats with it too ... I get some strange looks for that ...LOL ....