Diet question

Options
Hey fellow MFPs,
Recently started jogging not too long ago (started on March 24th, been gradually building up a 4km run 4-5 times a week).
Having never been able to run that far/long, wanted to know any of your experiences with your diet.
Been drinking 2L water a day, trying to stay away from carbs and sugar, and really mostly eating protein, veggies and fruit. My question is if anyone has had the same issue I'm having, which is I seem to crave MORE crap/junk food than before I started jogging. I seem to look at food as a reward on a subconscious level. Anyone have any tips to get through or overcome this?

On that note, I weigh 170 lbs. and I'm almost 5'10", I'm a tall girl but I wouldn't say I'm overweight, just carrying some chunk. ;) I want to lose 20 lbs. but not sure if I should be implementing other exercises besides just jogging 4km 4-5 times/week.

Any tips or advice is appreciated! :)
Thanks peeps.

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    It might be because your body needs the carbs for fuel. I tend to have a piece of wholemeal toast or bran or a banana.

I would just stick to wholewheat (complex) carbs.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It might be because your body needs the carbs for fuel. I tend to have a piece of wholemeal toast or bran or a banana.

I would just stick to wholewheat (complex) carbs.

Agreed.
    There's no reason to cut out carbs, anyways. Especially if you work out regularly. You need some carbs to give your body the energy to work out. Cutting out sugar is senseless either, unless you have health issues. Just try to stay within your macros (MFP sets a very small target for sugar, in my opinion. I've set mine to 50g/day) and concentrate on natural sugars, like sugars from fruits.

I would recommend you incorporate a bit of strength training to your routine. Do some squats, lunges, push ups, planks, wall sits, things like that.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above ^

Unless you have a medical reason, there's no need to cut out sugar. And you NEED carbs, especially as you are doing so much cardio. Your body is tired and needs energy, which is why you crave junk food. It's a quick fix.

Incorporate some carbs into your diet and I'm sure you will see an improvement.

I also wanted to add, I know everyone's body composition is different, but I'm also 5"10, and at 150lb I'd look too slim, regardless of what the BMI calculators try and tell you. My goal is 170 - 180lb. If you are happy with your weight but unhappy about your body, you may be better off ditching the scales and looking at lifting.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed so we can't see what you're eating. Open it up so people can give advice.
  • msmichydo
    msmichydo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I haven't really been adding my diet to my diary, just been inputting my exercises. I always end up too busy having to put it all in there, or I just forget. :(
    Yes, I would say 170 lb. is not overweight for my height, but you know you need to lose weight when you start becoming uncomfortable with your body? I'm at that stage. I guess my real goal is more to tone up than to lose the weight. I've been 150 lb. before, (but lost it in a very unhealthy way). I'd like to be two sizes smaller, and my body naturally just becomes that weight, which is how I know I'd like to be 150 lb. :) it might be different though, since I'm losing the weight in a healthy way this time. Have to wait and see what happens.
    This is all great advice!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating bare you counting them accurately.
  • msmichydo
    msmichydo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would say on average I'm eating approx. 2,000 cal/day.