Runners? Heavy Legs?

Options
Today i had the worse heavy legs I've ever had while running.
I could breath fine but my legs would not move.

I am currently running 5 times a week (Tues, Wed, Thur, Sat & Sun) Last week was 33km or 20 miles total - Which will increase in the coming weeks. This is part of a training programme for a half marathon i wish to enter.

Has anyone else had this if so what helped fixed the issue?

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Your legs just might need a break, if you want to rest or not.
    Try taking a hot bath, that what helps my muscles relax a bit.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Some times that happens. Just take an easy run & they should bounce back
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I was trying to do Insanity and run. My legs just couldn't handle both so I had to drop Insanity. What plan are you following and what is your mileage day to day. You should be having shorter, easier runs in there to help recovery
  • rachjenn
    rachjenn Posts: 87
    Options
    Sounds like they need more rest. Do you stretch before/after?
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It happens. I run 30+ mpw , and sometimes the legs just don't want to go. Take a day off. I usually take 2 rest days, sometimes 1 rest day. Don't over do it though you could end up with a over use injury. It sounds like you are putting some good mileage in. Keep it up. Oh yeah,,,make sure you have good running shoes.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fatigue. I'm doing 20+ miles a week for my half May 5th, but only running 4 days. Having 3 non-running days a week really works to keep me injury free and not get burned out. I'm using Higdon's novice 2. This is not my first half, I trained harder for my first one and then didn't want to run for awhile after , so I went a little easier this time.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half in close to 2 weeks. I'm only running 3 days/week. I need 2 days off and 2 days strength training. I ran a 10 mile race this past Saturday and did fine. My weekly mileage is 25+.

Sometimes we have runs that aren't so "good" meaning they feel really difficult. You probably need more rest. Maybe a day of cross training would help as well. I cannot stress the importance of good shoes enough, as someone else mentioned.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Sometimes this happens certain times of the month for your cycle. There have been articles for this. I think runners world. If I recall it usually will happen 10 days before the start of your flow. This has happened to me in the past also... Some women try to plan races around this time.

Sometimes heavy legs just happens. Maybe over training, not slepping, etc.

It might be just a bad run... Best thing about running is there is always a new day and hopefully a better run!
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You need to rest. You will not lose fitness and your body will not forget how to run far. You are burning out your legs. Rest and you will feel a million times better when you come back. Trust me.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It could be you just need rest, or it could be that cross-training is needed to build strength. I found I needed to add 3 days of weight training and drop my running back to twice a week to get past that sort of recurring issue.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Rest day today yay.

Total mileage for last week was just shy of 21 miles. (On the shortest days I'm only doing 3 miles) I am going to start doing strength exercises a wee bit more to see if this helps my legs too.

I am curious about my shoes as many sites say different things about how many miles you should run in them. I have had them for 3 to 4 years now but i have only been running in them this year.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Did you wear your shoes regularly for those 3-4 years? If so, definitely time to look into some new ones. If you've never done it, I recommend getting your feet analyzed to see what would work best for you. And sad to say, the ones that might work best aren't always the prettiest. lol.