Supplements for Weight Loss

Options
I see loads of adverts for supplements to help support weight loss and I was wondering if anyone thinks they are worth taking? I took Raspberry Ketones for a month but didn't notice much difference so was wondering is there is anything else I could take that might work?

Replies

• m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Any supplement might add an extra 1% to your efforts at best.

Caffeine is the only thing that will help you. A good dosage will suppress you hungry which should assist with controlled eating.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Why waste your time and money?

Weight loss is quite simple you know.........................

Eat at a sensible deficit of your TDEE
    Move more

That's it. Try it and see :flowerforyou:
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Caffeine I find is good for helping control my appetite. Also fish oil, I don't know why though, I don't have a study to back it up. I just thought it sounded cool.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Move more

Do you not do any supps then S? I always do the fish oil, have a read into it, it might help with body functions and weight loss. I take glucosamine too. I don't live and die by them but I think they can't hurt to take them...
  • CupcakeConnection
    Options
    I have recently heard a lot of great things about Green Coffee Bean Extract. It is said to speed up metabolism and be a fat burner. It does contain caffieine. However, not near the amount of black coffee, espresso, etc. Here is something from the Dr. Oz Show, in case you are interested.

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/green-coffee-fat-burner-works?video=14493

I have never had the supplements. I do drink Starbucks Refreshers for an extra boost of energy. "Very Berry Hibiscus " which contains green coffee bean extract. It is very tasty!

Hope this helps! Cheers, CC
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have recently heard a lot of great things about Green Coffee Bean Extract.

A couple of years ago it was green tea. This can possibly give the extra 1% i was talking about.

200mg caffiene doses 3 times a day can lead to you completely forgetting whole meals because you apatite is so suppressed.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't think supplements work too well for losing weight.
    I know there's people who replace 1 or more meals with protein shakes, but that means restricting food = just simply no.

Supplements like protein bars or shakes are good to make sure to get your macros in. Many people (including me), especially when lifting, have problems getting enough protein in which is needed for muscle growth.

I agree with sandradev1, make sure you eat at a deficit, that's the only key to weight loss.

Fish oil helps to get healthy fats in (omega 3).
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Move more

Do you not do any supps then S? I always do the fish oil, have a read into it, it might help with body functions and weight loss. I take glucosamine too. I don't live and die by them but I think they can't hurt to take them...

I do take glucosamine and also flax oil, but for my joints. I don't think of them as aids to weight loss. All to the good if they do though. I maybe wrongly assumed that OP was referring to commercial weight loss gimmicks.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Move more

I do take glucosamine and also flax oil, but for my joints. I don't think of them as aids to weight loss. All to the good if they do though. I maybe wrongly assumed that OP was referring to commercial weight loss gimmicks.

You may not be wrong, she could well be, it's not easy to tell from her post to be fair. I don't think mine really make a difference to whether I lose fat or not, well, perhaps the fish oil, as I don't get enough through my diet. The rest I just take for general well being really.
  • mummyhollysmith
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for a Miracle pill, I workout hard at least 3 times a week and have a good clean diet but was wondering if there's any supplements which would be good to take.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    raspberry ketones did not work??? Holy *kitten* someone call Dr. Oz....!

seriously, eat less then you take in, work out, and hit your macros...

there is no magic bullet/pill/cleanse whatever when it comes to weight loss...
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I take
    womens one a day
    calcium+d
    glucosamine+chondroitin (helps my knees and elbows)
    Cinnamon
    b complex
    fish/flax/borage oil

plus pre workout formulas when im dragging, protein shakes and bars, and BCAA+glutamine powder.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    For vitamin/nutrients I take a 500mg Moringa Oleifera capsule daily.

Moringa Oleifera
    The plant is being used to provide nutrients to starving / malnourished countries.

This is some of the research I did on it:

The Moringa Oleifera tree, also known as the drumstick or “Miracle Tree” is considered the most nutritious plant on earth. The tree contains over 92 essential nutrients, including:

• Protein
    • Vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C, E)
    • Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, Copper, Phosphorus, Zinc
    • All 9 of the Essential Amino Acids (overall 18 of the 22 amino acids)
    • Omega-9 Essential Fatty Acids that support healthy blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivities. Great for people with Type 2 Diabetes or have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic
    • Antioxidants
    • Anti-inflammatory agents
    • Chlorophyll (4x more than wheatgrass) (overall immune system)
    • Vegan, Kosher, Dairy Free, Soy Free and Non Allergenic

This tree is considered to have the highest Protein ratio of any plant so far studied on earth. Moringa has protein quality and quantity similar to soy beans, whole milk, and eggs, but there are no reports of Moringa triggered allergies so it can be used for baby nutrition replacing soy.

On a gram per gram comparison the Moringa tree offers 14 times more nutrition than oranges, milk, bananas, spinach, and carrots combined! Unlike other multivitamins or nutritional supplements, Moringa is a true natural whole food source that is easily digested and absorbed into the human body. Which means your body actually uses all of it and uses it quickly.

You can also read about it here:

Additional resources:
    Trees for Life
    http://www.treesforlife.org/

LIVESTRONG
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/301127-moringa-leaves-weight-loss/

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
    http://www.unesco.org/new/en/custom-search/?cx=000136296116563084670:h14j45a1zaw&cof=FORID:9&ie=UTF-8&q=moringa&hl=en&sa=ok&siteurl=www.unesco.org/new/en/&ref=&ss=1664j676564j7

United States Department of Agriculture
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2959?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=moringa

As far as Green Coffee Bean Extract, the below is a right up on how it is supposed to work, but you need to be careful about placing hope in a pill that may provide minimum, if any, weight loss assistance. Logging food, having friends here, and learning about your body and food is the best solution.

How Green Coffee Bean Extract is supposed to work:

Green Coffee Bean Extract is supposed to burn fat faster due to the Chlorogenic acid. Chlorogenic acid is a major polyphenol (antioxidant) in coffee that inhibits the enzyme G6P (glucose-6-phosphatase) that promotes the formation of glucose (sugar) in the liver after a meal. . If the enzyme is inhibited the body has to get its energy from fat cells instead of the release of glucose. Basically, Chlorogenic acid stabilizes blood sugar levels, reduces the absorption of fat from food, and boosts the metabolism; enhancing the burning of fat.

For people saying to just drink coffee:

However, you will not get the same results by drinking the roasted beans in coffee format. Roasting the beans significantly reduces the Chlorogenic Acid. This article published under the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19530715 stated “When green beans were roasted at 230 degrees C for 12 min and at 250 degrees C for 21 min, total chlorogenic acid content was reduced to nearly 50% and to almost trace levels, respectively. The results indicate that roasting conditions play an important role in chlorogenic acid content in roasted coffee beans. A general correlation between total caffeoylquinic acids and pH was observed.”

As for keeping you awake at night or giving you the "jitters" or it's all from caffeine:

It is nearly caffeine free about 23mg vs. 100-200mg for a regular cup of coffee (or 400+mg in a Venti-large coffee). No participants in the studies or the Doctor Oz experiment reporting getting the “jitters”, and in fact most participants had reduced heart beats by 2 beats per minute.

Normal disclaimer:

There are no indications of any harmful side effects. As a precaution: The supplement is new, and there is no research on its effects on children. Therefore young people under the age of 18 and pregnant or breast feeding women should not take this supplement. You also shouldn’t take this if you have an allergy to coffee or caffeine.

No! I do not sell anything myself, I just did my own research on it when I heard about it. Weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise. Eating healthy will always have a greater impact than any supplement (except maybe crack cocaine or meth). Something like this or Raspberry Ketones (or what have you) may provide only fractions of a percentage towards weight loss - and sometimes those small percentages add up over time. You have to balance cost vs possible results vs possible disappointment if you expect too much from it.

Also, if you are really intending to purchase it, here are some suggestions:

• Look for either Svetol® or GCA (Green Coffee Antioxidant).
    • At Least 45% Chlorogenic Acid.
    • 400mg capsules, 3 times per day, 30 minutes before meals.
    • Watch out for fillers and flow agents (anti-caking type additives) like Magnesium Stearate, Silica, or rice flour, and avoid “blends” with other diet aids like Green Tea or African Mango.

Just sharing information.